New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can I run a performance cam on a stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I run a performance cam on a stock motor?

I was just messing around on youtube, and saw some pretty awesome videos of camaros with cams. I love the rough idle sound but my car is a daily driver. what cam would you suggest for my application? And can i get a high performance cam for my street car without having to mess with the heads?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to LS1Tech!

I would suggest you search a little as you will shortly find that there are plenty of stock headed cars running big cams. You need other supporting mods, though.

The car in my sig has stock heads.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Start reading some stickys in the internal section and external section You need supporting mods for a cam. What year is your car? is it a 6 speed or auto?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's some reading material for you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...questions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-me-first.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html
Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Before a cam you need air and a way to get it out, thus yes supporting mods are a must. You can run a mild cam if you need to pass any type of Cali emissions and just upgrade your valvetrain no matter what cam you choose.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

well its going to be a while before i get some money saved up because im in school right now. But farther on down the road i was thinking about getting the whole new exhaust. Headers, ORY, CB the usual, mabey some cutouts. would this be good enough to run a mild to agressive cam? I want one that will make my car sound agressive.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

like they said, a search will answer your questions. but for a cam you should have your bolt-ons done(intake and full exhaust) and your supporting mods should be an ls2 timing chain, an ls6 oil pump and a cam kit that comes with springs, push rods, retainers, etc. a stall and gears help autos a lot with big cams. your also going to need to get your car tuned.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dutinsss
like they said, a search will answer your questions. but for a cam you should have your bolt-ons done(intake and full exhaust) and your supporting mods should be an ls2 timing chain, an ls6 oil pump and a cam kit that comes with springs, push rods, retainers, etc. a stall and gears help autos a lot with big cams. your also going to need to get your car tuned.
what this guy said. while you can pick up a cam for ~300 bucks, even with all the bolt ons done, you're still lookin at $1000 minimum to get it workin. timing chain, oil pum, springs, rods, are not cheap, not to mention your going to need to get it tuned to run right, and unless you are lucky enough to "know someone" you'd be looking around $300-$500 for a good tune. trust me, I want that rough idle and extra power too, but I'd rather wait and do it right, than go cheap and mess up my car. if you want a cheap solution to make your car sound mean then get some cutouts. Its a night and day difference in the sound of your car, and they sound good with stock exhaust (a little raspy when you put an ory on it tho)
Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

What year is your car??? What trany do you have... 6 speed or auto a4??? This is important because if you have a 01-02 you allready have a ls6 intake manifold. If you have a A4 trany you'll have to change the stall to match the cam.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
What year is your car??? What trany do you have... 6 speed or auto a4??? This is important because if you have a 01-02 you allready have a ls6 intake manifold. If you have a A4 trany you'll have to change the stall to match the cam.
Its a '99 A4
Old 11-12-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by THE-ZCamaro99
Its a '99 A4
With the auto you'll need a bigger stall with the cam. Also do you have to have emmissions where you live. Upgrading to the ls6 of fast intake you'll have to remove the egr valve. And your header choice will be off road or with emmissions.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
With the auto you'll need a bigger stall with the cam. Also do you have to have emmissions where you live. Upgrading to the ls6 of fast intake you'll have to remove the egr valve. And your header choice will be off road or with emmissions.
no emissions where i live, well we do but they don't have check or anything like that, its not really inforced
Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Launching!

it would be safe to get heads along with a cam. just a suggestion
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

cool thanks for the help, but i think i changed my mind. My car has about 87k on it so im gunna wait till i rebuild the whole thing. how long do these motors last if i change the oil every 3,000 miles. i have heard these motor are basically bulletproof. I tend to have a heavy foot from time to time though