Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the performance game

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the performance game

Hey guys, i just bought a 99 z28 6-speed. I'm not very lets say.. smart when it comes to motors. I've got $18k to play with motor wise and i was curious what order should i jump onto high end mods. I know the basic stuff i need. I'm looking to get up into the 600hp range. Where im stuck at is im looking at either a procharger or a sts twin turbo set up. Curious as to which way would be more beneficial in the long run. The car is show only, not driven on the street, so im alittle more ballsy with what i have done. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, along with a pretty sound build order so im not buying parts i dont need, or parts im going to end up taking off to replace with something better. Thank you ls1techies

Bobby
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetSolace
Hey guys, i just bought a 99 z28 6-speed. I'm not very lets say.. smart when it comes to motors. I've got $18k to play with motor wise and i was curious what order should i jump onto high end mods. I know the basic stuff i need. I'm looking to get up into the 600hp range. Where im stuck at is im looking at either a procharger or a sts twin turbo set up. Curious as to which way would be more beneficial in the long run. The car is show only, not driven on the street, so im alittle more ballsy with what i have done. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, along with a pretty sound build order so im not buying parts i dont need, or parts im going to end up taking off to replace with something better. Thank you ls1techies

Bobby
440 LSX, fully forged, huge cam, 2" stainless steel headers, ET/trcikflow/AFR heads, ported fast intake should be pretty stout. also, youll need a built tranny (including a real good clutch) and a real good fuel system. that should be in the 600whp neighborhood, but if you want that extra bit a P1SC OR AN F1A procharger would be nice, so would an APS twin turbo setup. and you could always throw a direct port nitrous system on for ***** and giggles.

and if you go on the track at all, 9" with full suspension (and a cage too)
Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do you want 600 hp if your not going to drive it. If it's not going see the road there is no need for a forged bottom end, 12 bolt rear, ect.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Im into the custom car/truck scence. Always have, always will. Never really got into the motors though (always had hood closed at shows). 600 is much i realize that, but i figure if i fall short i've still got a bad *** motor out of it. If for nothing else, its what i want. I want to crank it up and know whats under there is a monster. Might sound childish per say, but its my goal for this car. It's already finished, except for the motor
Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a forged ls2 402ci with either a D1 or the F1 procharger. Afr 225 heads and a blower cam, fast 90/90 intake/TB, Front mount intercooler. 60+ pound fuel injectors, dual intank fuel pumps. Stainless headers 1 7/8'' - 2'' primarys.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Banned

Where are you located? It would be nice to talk with a sponsor in your area.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
I would do a forged ls2 402ci with either a D1 or the F1 procharger. Afr 225 heads and a blower cam, fast 90/90 intake/TB, Front mount intercooler. 60+ pound fuel injectors, dual intank fuel pumps. Stainless headers 1 7/8'' - 2'' primarys.
That would be a sick setup.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

since your not going to drive it ever then why dont you just let me have the 18k for my car! having a fast car and not driving it is like have a playboy model for a wife and not f**king her
Old 11-21-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Procharger would be sick. I love those.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your not going to drive it, then why bother setting a HP goal? Just get a set of forged pistons for the 347 and put a procharger on it. Along with a cam and Fast intake. It will sound good and still look like you have a lot of power.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I've been looking at lmperformance for most of the parts. Are they a good source for buying? Are patriot parts worth a ****?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SweetSolace
I've been looking at lmperformance for most of the parts. Are they a good source for buying? Are patriot parts worth a ****?
LMP are ok but there are usually better deals out there. PP makes some good things but for heads you want to look elsewhere IMO. Just get something 317 casting truck heads and have them set up is one economical way to go. There other options if you want more power but it will cost more too.

You really need to spend some time in the F/I section and you will pick up a lot of good info
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Location: Earth, North America, United States of America, New Mexico, Bernalillo County, Albuquerque

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
since your not going to drive it ever then why dont you just let me have the 18k for my car! having a fast car and not driving it is like have a playboy model for a wife and not f**king her
True statement there, at least find one exotic to burn up with that set up or what ever set up you choose, to appease the muscle car gods if nothing else.