Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about getting a and weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about getting a and weight reduction

I have an 01 z28 and i have the headers the exhaust and the lid now I have heard of people getting crazy hp with just a cam. Now my question is what cam can i get that will givve me the most horsepower. I do want to get heads in the future but maybe after I get a 408 but for now I just want a cam only 346. Last but not least I want to make the car as light as possible i heard someoine saying that if you take off the firewall you lose alot of weight what the best way to go on this I dont care about any of the luxuries i dont even use AC and i dont mind rolling up the windows. I never have passenger either so that not a problem. any suggestions I would definetely consider I seen that Texas speed has a custom cam setup what would be the best numbers for that if that the case. I want full out of your mind power with just a cam only i heard people making 415 rwhp just with the cam on pump gas witha tune.

I do want to get this car to beat C6 but tha kinda shooting for the stars lol but would love to have a 10 second cam only car im happy with 10's. I seen texas speed do it.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no one cam to suggest for the most power. Some cams will give you huge peak hp numbers, but will lack a little down low. Other cams wont have as much top end power, but will have more midrange power. Then there is drivability which will change with different cams. I would talk to any of the sponsors and see what they recommend.

As far as weight reduction, im pretty sure they dont mean to remove the firewall. If you do that there wont be anything between your legs and the engine. You can remove rear seat, jack, spare tire, heater core and evaporator box from under dash and under hood. Then you can remove the ac compressor from the engine. There are probably a hundred other little things to lose for weight, but these would be the major ones.

I would do a little more research before jumping into buying a bunch of parts that dont make a good combo.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess if you want to be unsafe go ahead and run no firewall but the reason for that particular part of the car is in its name.

If you want to remove weight properly look into the drag racing section. Here is a link to the thread with all the weights of things you can remove from the car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...y-updated.html
Old 12-24-2008, 08:36 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Exclamation

+ draw your own conclusion = goal
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Crager there is som many suggestions and well i want something that everyone has positive reviews baout so far MS4 but then again idk
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

our windows are huge. lexan glass would save a ton.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Banned

Also remove the inner bumper supports, cut the frame horns off, washer bottle, windshield wiper stuff, sway bars and mounts, horns, airbags, seats, carpet, interior, stereo system, mirrors, cut any bolt threads off that stick out from nuts, ABS, ASR, foglights, heatshields and the brackets welded to the body for them, seat beats and brackets welded to the body, etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

strip it like you stole it. then it will be super light.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well how about the cam no ones answer that for me yet and 01ssred what can i strip besides what the other guys told me
Old 12-27-2008, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
our windows are huge. lexan glass would save a ton.
where would u go to get it done and how mcuh weightr will be saved??
Old 12-27-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zrultima
Well how about the cam no ones answer that for me yet and 01ssred what can i strip besides what the other guys told me
where would u go to get it done and how mcuh weightr will be saved??
just so you will stop asking about the cam... ms4 Trex polluter, etc.. they are your "big number" makers i suppose.. you can do the same thing with a smaller cam though... thats the reason there isnt a correct answer.. its just a dumb question..

i wouldnt drive a car with lexan.. its about 400 bucks installed i think.. but its not that much weight difference.. not for the money at least... id get an aftermarket k-member before i did that.....

someone gave you a link to the weight reduction list...
copy/paste it into a wordpad... then just highlight or bold things that you want to take off/buy..... then you dont have to ask us everything..

GL
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

just outta curiosity, do you want a dragstrip only car or will this see street time? that makes a difference with how much weight you can strip. And the lexan windows save a ton of weight, not sure what above poster was thinking. search speedglass
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

there is a weight reduction list in the drag section i think which tells you lots of info on this.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
just outta curiosity, do you want a dragstrip only car or will this see street time? that makes a difference with how much weight you can strip. And the lexan windows save a ton of weight, not sure what above poster was thinking. search speedglass
It will see alot of street time I want to make it a DD but dont really care about the luxury that are in there
Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will see alot of street time I want to make it a DD but dont really care about the luxury that are in there
go to the link that is up ^^^^ there....

write down things you dont want/need in your car.. you know better than us what you want to keep or not..

its really easy dude.. and that is the BEST answer to give when that question is asked..
Old 12-27-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

If is a DD you need to be careful reducing weight in ways that compromise safety, bumper supports, air bags, etc. Weight reduction is either spending money for lightweight parts, k-member, fiberglass hood, etc, or by cutting off or pulling parts you dont mind sacrificing.

a 10sec dd cam only car is not going to be a fun daily driver. it takes lots of weight reduction and the right suspension parts. good luck
Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you start stripping the stuff off, you are going to drastically reduce the value of your car. You may think you will just put stuff back on when you want to move on to something else, but you won't. Essentially you are going to make a race car that you won't be able to sell in the future. You willing to start down the road of reducing the value of your car to zero? You will be stuck in a dd that is pretty uncomfortable and your particular needs/desires for transportation may change in the next few years.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a cam go in the internal section and search the predator-z custom "El Torro" cam. It is not real big at 230/230 XFI/XER lobes but has a great combo of torque and HP. Search chrs1313 and he has that cam with homemade ram air and weight reduction in the 10's.

PM pred-z and will give you the lobe #'s to get it ground for you. Since you are a street car too I wouldn't go too much bigger than that but that is an individaul thing. chrs1313 proves a bigger cam isn't always the fastest
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i want the mostusuale hp i want something like this any more information u might have on it
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Regarding your cam question try this thread you might find it useful seeing what some people have put down in the past.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...no-thread.html