New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUSLY CONFUSED!!! HELP!! (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow SERIOUSLY CONFUSED!!! HELP!! (with pics!)

I just finally got around to checking out the RSO codes on the door of my car out of curiosity over what rear gear I have and found a major shocker... I have always believed my car came from the factory as a plain ol stock 99 trans am and that I have a 2.73 rear gear and all... My code not only says wu5 (meaning 3.23 with a 3 series? someone please confirm...), but also has a WS9 code. Does this mean I have a Formula? And if so, whats the difference? I mean, I'm the forth owner at 70k and my front bumper looks like a regular trans am bumper, only instead of being solid plastic behind the bird plate, it has a 1 1/2" diam hole in the center of that plastic unlike any I[ve seen on here, almost like its aftermarket and had the 3 bolts in front of the hood latch missing that hold it on when I first got the car. The hood when I got it looked original and flat (non-ram air). I thought maybe someone replaced the door with one off a Formula, but then cross ref'd the VIN on the door sticker with the codes with my VIN beneath the windshield and they match...No carfax wrecks to mention... Car drives great, and no mention anywhere on the car of it bein a Formula. Any ideas here? I'm confused as all hell... And if it is a formula, whats better (or worse) about that? And is there any other way to tell (other than the different front bumper)? Thanks all! L8r

Oh... and if anyone has a brilliant way to fix the gap between my new Ram Air hood and the bumper, please let me in on the secret! lol
Attached Thumbnails SERIOUSLY CONFUSED!!! HELP!! (with pics!)-dsc00431.jpg   SERIOUSLY CONFUSED!!! HELP!! (with pics!)-dsc00433.jpg  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smgbad
I just finally got around to checking out the RSO codes on the door of my car out of curiosity over what rear gear I have and found a major shocker... I have always believed my car came from the factory as a plain ol stock 99 trans am and that I have a 2.73 rear gear and all... My code not only says wu5 (meaning 3.23 with a 3 series? someone please confirm...), but also has a WS9 code. Does this mean I have a Formula? And if so, whats the difference? I mean, I'm the forth owner at 70k and my front bumper looks like a regular trans am bumper, only instead of being solid plastic behind the bird plate, it has a 1 1/2" diam hole in the center of that plastic unlike any I[ve seen on here, almost like its aftermarket and had the 3 bolts in front of the hood latch missing that hold it on when I first got the car. The hood when I got it looked original and flat (non-ram air). I thought maybe someone replaced the door with one off a Formula, but then cross ref'd the VIN on the door sticker with the codes with my VIN beneath the windshield and they match...No carfax wrecks to mention... Car drives great, and no mention anywhere on the car of it bein a Formula. Any ideas here? I'm confused as all hell... And if it is a formula, whats better (or worse) about that? And is there any other way to tell (other than the different front bumper)? Thanks all! L8r

Oh... and if anyone has a brilliant way to fix the gap between my new Ram Air hood and the bumper, please let me in on the secret! lol
Did the car come with that hood? Or did you add it?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Well, the hood is aftermarket, so the facia could be too. However, I didn't notice any mention about the rear. Formula's have, like, a big license plate holder thing jutting out of the back. Also, the spoiler is the same as V6 Firebirds, not raised like T/A's. Take a pic of the back and of the side, too.

I'm not sure, other than looks, what the difference is between T/A's and Formulas. They both have the same engine and straight-line performance, of course, and I don't think anything could be different about the brakes or suspension, but I could be wrong there. The WS6 has tiny upgrades in suspension from the T/A's.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WS9 is the RPO for the V8. My understanding has been that all Trans-am's start life as a Formula.

EDIT:
because my car has the WS9 code and it deffinetly is a trans-am.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Staging Lane

MY ws6 has ws9 too, it is indeed true it starts as a formula lol, you have the code gu5 meaning 3.23s, and formulas have no raised spoiler as mentioned, and trans ams have those custom gaps for the exhaust tips, formulas don't really have them. Take a picture of the rear and we'll tell you.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

That hole could be where someone had set it up to bolt in a tow strap. The car has probably seen some track duty. The missing latch bolts could support that.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

also if it was a formula the doors would say firebird not trans am, need pics from the side.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
also if it was a formula the doors would say firebird not trans am, need pics from the side.
Don't the doors say Formula if its a Formula?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I actually found the answer after a little while searching the forums... It's a base Trans Am with the Gear Upgrade option instead of the standard 2.73. WS9 is on ALL the Trans Ams AND Formulas. If it also has WS9 AND Y82 in the RPO codes it is a Trans AM. If it has WS9 AND W66 in the RPO it is a Formula. Simple as that. Why my bolts were missing and why the hole is there in the front bumper (in the pic) I may never know. I know this sounds stupid but I dunno what a tow strap is as Artic2002SS was sayin...lol. Thanks for helpin out with this everyone. One good thing taken from this is knowing I do infact have the same gear as the WS6...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
they say formula
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

tow strap best i can think of is at a drag strip after the car runs its pulled back instead of being driven in order to keep the motor from getting too hot in between runs. surely there would be more evidence if this was the case.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

About the hood you can loosen the hinge bolts and try pulling the hood forward some or loosen the bolts in front of the hood latch on the bumper support thing and push it back. You can also loosen the headlight covers and adjust them as well if needed.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Maybe with the tow strap idea... BUT... Why would a bolt-on T/A need to be shut off and pulled after a run... Is it heavily modded?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Could just be a replacement engine if that were the case.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the past few years I've seen several posts regarding questions on Vin identification and RPO misinformation specific to the 4th Gen V8 Firebirds.
First off the vin #'s are not model specific. This is why your DMV registration and or Insurance info may say Formula/Trans Am.
Basically the Vin# does not distinguish between Formula and Trans Am it Identifies a V8 Firebird.
The RPO codes are the only way to properly identify the model.
W66 is the Formula Merchandise Pkg
Y82 is the Trans Am Merchandise Pkg
Also the WS9 RPO is refered to as the "Formula Conversion Pkg".
This does not mean that the car is or ever was a Formula. It means the Car is V8 Equipped. The aforementioned W66 and Y82 RPO Codes must be present to identify the model. So all V8 Firebirds will carry the WS9 RPO

WS9 + W66 = Formula
WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am
WS9 + Y84 = Trans Am Convertible

And BTW Formula's `98-02 have Formula badgse on each door. 94-97's have decals on the left headlight door and on the left rear of the bumper
93's are trhe same but had an optional Formula V8 script decal for the doors.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

The tow strap idea was the only reason I could think of for the hole. It could have been a drag car that was de-modded. Stranger things have happened. Or maybe it was set up for a road coarse. This very thing has been brought up in the road racing section where it's a good idea to have a place to hook up a tow strap. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love ws6 formula's
Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you call them RSO codes I thought they were called RPO?

if you need to any info on RPO code here is a link when people ask me
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php
Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

RPO... Sorry... you're right