Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Throttle Body Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK Throttle Body Help

I just installed a BBK Throttle Body the other day. I was wondering if their is supposed to be a loud suction sound coming from the engine? I followed the directions from installuniversity.com and the BBK guidelines. I made sure all the hoses are all secured properly twice. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 04:08 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: BBK Throttle Body Help

slightly, but i wouldnt call it loud. just a nice hissing noise.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBKs don't have an idle air hole drilled into the blade do they? That requires all of the idle air to pass between the blade and the wall. Might this be the reason they whistle?

I think if it were mine I'd try setting the idle stop to a more closed position to shut off all of the air from sqeezing by the blade (assuming that it isn't 100% closed to begin wih) and drilling a small hole in the blade for the air. I'd keep and eye on my IAC counts. If they were higher than about 40-50 with the engine completely warm I'd go a little bigger until I got it right.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup they have that sound. sounds a little like a blower on the car. but it is normal.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had one and could not get it to work right. It sometimes threw codes and I had to reset the pcm. It just never fit right. I would dump it and get a port TB from one of the sponsers. That TB was not specifically made for the LS1 from what I was told. Also, the gasket they include with it make it suspect to me.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:43 AM
Teching In

No they dont have a hole in the plate. I tried to close it all the way but the idle get under .5 rpm and the car stalls.
But thanks for the advice.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

No they dont have a hole in the plate. I tried to close it all the way but the idle get under .5 rpm and the car stalls.
But thanks for the advice.
I think what Colonel meant was to drll a small hole in the blade then close it all the way. Mine doesn't bother me but I have to make sure it is clean inside at all times. K&N oil can get there and build up will dry and affect idle. That TB sounds like a hoover and is more pronounced with FIPK.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"No they dont have a hole in the plate. I tried to close it all the way but the idle get under .5 rpm and the car stalls."

Right, like 4thGENRETARD said, I meant that you would HAVE to drill a hole if you closed the TB all the way up. Your car stalled because you cut off too much of the air. Your engine, at that point, could only get air through the IAC...and it wasn't designed to flow that much air.

If you drill the right size hole (letting Autotap and the IAC pintel pos counts be your guide) in the TB blade then you can shut the TB all the way which I'm willing to bet will cure the whistle.

Quick Reply: BBK Throttle Body Help