New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be Newbie, need advice B4 I buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be Newbie, need advice B4 I buy

I am about to buy a 02 WS6. The owner says it is "This is a daytona approved car, can do consecutive laps over 150mph"
Does this mean there is anything special about this peticular car or is it a regular WS6?
What should I look for or be aware of with this peticular year/model before I hand over the money?

Thank You in advance!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have a link or any pics?

sounds like a line a crap to me, but there are fbody pace cars out there...so who knows. ask him if he has any paperwork to prove that its a pace car etc
Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes me want to NOT buy the car. Some jackass was probably haulin *** around the daytona beating the **** out of the car. (thats my guess, who knows!)
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM

I don't have pics. Going to see it in person this weekend. It is a bit of a drive so I wanted to get educated first so I know what to look for. When I heard the Daytona thing my BS flag went up. I haven't had a T/A since my 79 so I am a bit uneducated on the latest Generation.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

yea i know the t/a has a daytona 500 pace car but i think they use a 30th. aniv. 1999(correct me if im wrong)
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

well boys, i googled it. i did find a couple different 2002 t/a pace cars. they were all yellow. so i'm assuming that it could be true. supposedly a collector's edition, but what isn't a collector's edition.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to ask what the heck he is talking about. The Daytona thing aside what are the typical issues or problems with this car that I should look for signs of?
It's a 2002 with 35k on the odometer. Guy is asking 16,800 for the car.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRyderWS6
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to ask what the heck he is talking about. The Daytona thing aside what are the typical issues or problems with this car that I should look for signs of?
It's a 2002 with 35k on the odometer. Guy is asking 16,800 for the car.
check power window and headlight operation. typical problem spots.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just check for the usual leaks, rattles etc
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just recently bought my 2000 WS.6 Trans Am M6 with 75,000miles a few months ago so I just went through this. I test drove a lot of Trans ams so here's all the info I have.
Make sure you check the brakes out, see how thick the pads are, and when you drive it, put the brakes on lightly, medium, and hard. be aware of any pulsing in the pedal, or if the steering wheel vibrates. My car had some wheel vibration and pedal pulse when I bought it, I thought it would be cheap to just get the rotors resurfaced because they were obviously just a little warped as rotors do get. But my rotors ended up having "hot spots" so the front ones had to be replaced and the rears resurfaced, and because the shop was already there, I just decided to get pads as well. This added up to a $450 bill.
When I test drove it I also noticed a squeaking under the hood, turned out to be the main belt. $16 and about 10 min of work and I cured that. Last thing was the clutch. I noticed it was a little soft and spongey but I didn't pay much attention to it. Now after a lot of reading on LS1 tech I know that I either have a bad Slave or bad Master cylinder. Each of those are around $100. I haven't gotten around to replacing them yet either.

Things I noticed when test driving other Trans ams was one seemed great, I was pretty close to buying it, then my wife says, "did you check all the **** inside?" I was like, I'm sure they work". She says, "I just really would feel better if you checked them." So I sit down and check all the ****. I turn the hot and cold temp. *** and it falls off, what the heck? It completely stripped! The owner says, "oh, I didn't know that was like that?" Sure Who knows what else was messed up on that car that he "didn't" know about.

Also, check the tire tread. I lucked out and my WS.6 had just had brand new tires put on, but if they were worn out and needed to be replaced, thats almost a $1,000 bill. Finally when test driving it check for noises, roll the windows down and coast, listen to any odd sounds. And look under the car and check for oil leaks. Check the rear end for oil leaks as well. Do the head lights pop up and down without making clunking noises?

Hope it goes well for you, if you have anymore questions let me know.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Great info thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

the worst this in our cars has to be the rear end. other then that just check the regular maintenance: oil changes, brakes, squeaks, tires, interior functionality.

These motors will run forever with the proper care.i lucked out and bought my car for 14k, spotless, unabused, garage queen, 33k miles, ss, unmodded.

unmodded is important sometimes
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
the worst this in our cars has to be the rear end. other then that just check the regular maintenance: oil changes, brakes, squeaks, tires, interior functionality.

These motors will run forever with the proper care.i lucked out and bought my car for 14k, spotless, unabused, garage queen, 33k miles, ss, unmodded.

unmodded is important sometimes
I got lucky like this too
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Automatic?

Anytime I have seen a WS6 it has been manual trans. The one I am looking at is automatic?