Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you think my car is ok

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default do you think my car is ok

hello guys . i got a 1999 camaro ss a4 . i took my car to change the oil i put royal puple in it and went with a k&n oil filter and the guy told me is leaking a little bit of oil from the oil pan whould it mess up performance wise couse some time i think my car is not that fast any more or you think its just me . my car onely got 5k miles on it . no check light come on . but i do got a power programmer i dont know if that whould not make the light not come on . im kinda worried about it so maybe you guys can tell my car is fine . thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just change the oil pan gasket. I dont see how leaking a little oil will effect preformance though.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 AM

and is that 5k original miles?????
Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

change the gasket or just watch the oil level and worsening of leak....will not change performance unless you leak oil out and starve engine of oil and spin a bearing and/or pitch a rod out the engine...then you will have performance problems
Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by luvthis
and is that 5k original miles?????

x2 . . .
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Launching!

tell me your not running royal purple for 5k between oil changes. royal purple is one of the reasons i had to have my bottom end rebuilt. at 3k i noticed a tapping at certain RPM and keep in mind ive never had a problem burning oil with M1 or even castrol i did an oil change at like 4500 longest wait between oil changes and the car was only like a quarter of a quart low. at 3k on the royal purple oil change when i noticed the tapping noise i changed the oil and the car was two and a half quart low and i chek my dip stick quite often. i heard its because royl purple is such a thin fine grade of oil that it leaks past old gaskets and i noticed that my car would burn just a hint of oil under WOT.. long story short i won't touch royal purple i had a motor spin a bearing, tranny shifted good right after i put royal purple tranny fluid in it but right before the motor spun a bearing i lost a sycro in the tranny wich cause the car to kick out of gear knocking some of my third gear teeth off. and last but not least i had royal purple diff. fluid in my rearend and when i noticed it startning to make more and more noise i had my buddy Josh a LMR look at it and at 3500 miles with royal purple it self destructed the bearings and made a **** ton of metal debris which was on the magnet on the diff cover. that damn magnet looked like a friggin chea pet it had so much metal stuck on it. i've heard royal purple is good to use in race cars or toys but unless you want to change you oil every 2k dont use it, it breaks down FAST from what i've heard
Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
tell me your not running royal purple for 5k between oil changes. royal purple is one of the reasons i had to have my bottom end rebuilt. at 3k i noticed a tapping at certain RPM and keep in mind ive never had a problem burning oil with M1 or even castrol i did an oil change at like 4500 longest wait between oil changes and the car was only like a quarter of a quart low. at 3k on the royal purple oil change when i noticed the tapping noise i changed the oil and the car was two and a half quart low and i chek my dip stick quite often. i heard its because royl purple is such a thin fine grade of oil that it leaks past old gaskets and i noticed that my car would burn just a hint of oil under WOT.. long story short i won't touch royal purple i had a motor spin a bearing, tranny shifted good right after i put royal purple tranny fluid in it but right before the motor spun a bearing i lost a sycro in the tranny wich cause the car to kick out of gear knocking some of my third gear teeth off. and last but not least i had royal purple diff. fluid in my rearend and when i noticed it startning to make more and more noise i had my buddy Josh a LMR look at it and at 3500 miles with royal purple it self destructed the bearings and made a **** ton of metal debris which was on the magnet on the diff cover. that damn magnet looked like a friggin chea pet it had so much metal stuck on it. i've heard royal purple is good to use in race cars or toys but unless you want to change you oil every 2k dont use it, it breaks down FAST from what i've heard
WOW dude. sounds like you have horrible luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow i did not know that im sorry to hear that . this is my 2nd time useing royale purple i onely used the 5w30 oil not the tranny one . and yes thats 5k original miles . so i need a new oil pan gasket . is it hard to get to . if i take to someone to do that how long will it take to do
Old 03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive heard k&n filters mess up oil pressure as well
Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM

the gasket is easy to get, but i belive you have to pull the motor to do it??? a
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt know there were 4th gens out there with only 5,000 original miles on them. Take a pic of the odometer I want to see it.

PS. Tighten up on the grammer and spelling and your posts will be a lot easier to read.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

A picture is worth a thousand words
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get under the car and clean it up and locate the leak yourself, hell your filter could have been loose. Check your torque specs on the pan and go from there. Changing the oil gasket isnt bad, I just di mine about 2 weeks ago, but its not for a beginer
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks . ok ill get pics of the odometer for you guys i bought the car brand new if that helps you guys any .
Old 03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

why dont you drive your car? I really dont see the point in having a car if you dont drive it.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
ive heard k&n filters mess up oil pressure as well
they're good filters but clog and go into full flow mode easier than others i heard. i used to work at kwick kar and this guy came in and said my oil pressure s acting funny so i got him to take me for a ride and show me the oil pressure would rise and abrouptly drop like 20lbs and then shoot back up needless to say he thought the oil filter was reusable and had aparently not changed it last time he changed the oil i cut it open and it was flowing wide open in full flow mode no filter what so ever..lolol...if you change it at 3k you'll be fine.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk

Ahhhh don't tell me that! I've been using only royal purple since I got the car last June and I change it every 3k or less. I guess I should switch to something else then because I don't want that to happen. What should I go to??

Oh and BTW hehehe
Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Having an oil leak won't slow your car down. It also won't cause a check engine light. The engine doesn't have to be removed to change the oil pan gasket. You can just drop the k-member, but get someone that knows what they're doing to replace it.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on my 4th brand of oil. I was a cheapass and used to use SuperTech full syn, switched to Valvoline full syn. The motor consumed about 1 qt every 1000 miles. I gave RP a try. It only used about 1/2 a qt in 3k miles. RP went up in price so I started investigating alternatives to learn RP is garbage. It was confirmed when I drained the oil, it was super thin proving that it breaks down. I now have Amsoil full syn in there now. It may have a few hundred miles on it. I check the oil today b/c I'm going to the track. It's still full and looks fresh still.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

amsoil is the best oil on the markey imho. I know a guy that changes the oil in his tour buses every 80,000 with amsoil. He sent an oil sample out at 80,000 last time and the lab said to keep running it. He decided to change it anyways, but that is some good ****.