Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Suspension Sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Suspension Sucks?

So I decided before I got my car out for the Spring I would get my new rims/tires and new front struts and rear shocks. So I picked up a set of Gabriel Ultra Lights all around. The thing is now after they are all installed and I take my car out for its first drive the alignment is off pretty bad and it pulls right like a mother trucker(which should be fixed today when I go to my aligment appointment at 3:00pm) But my problem with all of this is it feels like an even rougher ride than before and is like riding in a rock, I can feel EVERY bump. Will the alignment maybe help with some of this or is there a break-in period where these shocks/struts will soften up some??

The new rims and tires combo are 275/40zr18 Sumitomo's. (I also have to hold the wheel slightly tilted while driving down a straight road)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1238767746
Attached Thumbnails New Suspension Sucks?-picture-006.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know after you lower a car with springs/shocks, the first thing your suppose to do is go get it aligned right lol? YES the alignment will help ALOT, but the soften up no.. if you lowered the car its obviously going to be stiffer, its called handling. Get it aligned and see how it is, the longer the wait I believe it puts more stress on your lugs until you get it aligned. You need to ask yourself if you want to feel the road and have it handle great or drive it soft like a buick and handle like a buick!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

No I didn't lower it any.. if anything it sits slightly higher now.(Maybe cuz these new tires hold air! lmao)

I knew I needed to have it aligned, I was just more concerned about how it feels like I'm driving around in a car with no suspension.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NateHale88
So I decided before I got my car out for the Spring I would get my new rims/tires and new front struts and rear shocks. So I picked up a set of Gabriel Ultra Lights all around. The thing is now after they are all installed and I take my car out for its first drive the alignment is off pretty bad and it pulls right like a mother trucker(which should be fixed today when I go to my aligment appointment at 3:00pm) But my problem with all of this is it feels like an even rougher ride than before and is like riding in a rock, I can feel EVERY bump. Will the alignment maybe help with some of this or is there a break-in period where these shocks/struts will soften up some??

The new rims and tires combo are 275/40zr18 Sumitomo's. (I also have to hold the wheel slightly tilted while driving down a straight road)

Gabriel ultralights?

I've never heard of those. Could be part of the problem?

Your ride quality is determined more by your springs than your shocks.

Shocks are merely spring dampeners. The less travel you take out of the suspension and go to a progressive rate springs, it is going to be more harsh. Just how it is.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NateHale88

You have bigger wheels/tires which are more unsprung weight and will make the ride worse. You also have some really cheap/shitty shocks(our cars don't have struts) which will yeild a cheap/shitty ride.
If you want good ride quality the cheapest shocks to look at are strano spec bilstiens at minimum: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Also what do you have your tire pressure set at? That can really make ride quality worse.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't know your not lowered, I just figured since you got new shocks you got springs with it, sorry about that. Yea the alignment will fix the driving to the left or right issues but the ride quality could be from those shocks that no one has heard of or maybe its something with the stock springs? It shouldn't be that bad, I would check into those shocks though first.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You have bigger wheels/tires which are more unsprung weight and will make the ride worse. You also have some really cheap/shitty shocks(our cars don't have struts) which will yeild a cheap/shitty ride.
If you want good ride quality the cheapest shocks to look at are strano spec bilstiens at minimum: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Also what do you have your tire pressure set at? That can really make ride quality worse.
BINGO^^^^ + the lower profile tire have less sidewall to absorb bumps. The tire pressure idea is a good one too. Both my shops set my tire pressure in the 40#+ range and optimal is 30#-32# for my setup.....and my wear is GREAT....Koni 4/4, Strano springs/sways & and UMI PHB.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going from a 17 to a 18 wont make that big of a difference in the ride. I dont notice that much difference going from my 17s to my 19s. I would say its in the valving of the shocks. The shocks you had on there were probably wore out and actually loosened up the suspension, now that you have new shocks on there that are tight you are feeling more in the road. A good high quality shock wont do this because they valve them different. Get the car aligned immediately, you can wear your tires out very very fast without getting it aligned.

Quick Reply: New Suspension Sucks?