New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make a Titanium Cat-Back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone make a Titanium Cat-Back?

I love the sound of a titanium exhaust; right before my 3000GT VR4 took a ****, I was going to pick one up... Glad I did not waste the $2000, I would have never made it back

Anyways, does anyone know if they are made for the 4th Gen Trans Ams?

Also Inconel exhausts, but I think that is too much for most applications here unless your running BOOST!!

Thanks guys!

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 06-06-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

the material it is made out of doesn't change the tone of the exhaust one bit.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

I don't know man, it seems to resonate differently than the SS my buddy had on his VR4 prior to the Ti. The big advantage of the Ti and the Inconel is it thermal properties though. Seems to be a waste for a N/A setup but for boost it is the way to go; and I will be taking the LS1 to boost soon

DM
Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Stock C5 Z06 Exhaust is Titanium I believe.. not sure about the C6Z.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Launching!

ever occur to you that the steel system had a different type of muffler/resonator than the titanium, hence the different sound? not trying to bash you but when you say you had a 3000gt i can't help but to think that this is a typical ricer claim
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah from what i have seen your tryin to have a budget build, Titanium exhaust is prolly gonna set you back some. If you want an expensive different sounding exhaust go with a GMMG, Corsa, Borla
Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LCplmarine98
Yeah from what i have seen your tryin to have a budget build, Titanium exhaust is prolly gonna set you back some. If you want an expensive different sounding exhaust go with a GMMG, Corsa, Borla
Ti exhaust can cost into the thousands as you said for your vr-4. You could have a set of Kooks long tubes and y-pipe and true duals for 2 grand man or gmmg corsa borla are all good names
Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jason00ss
ever occur to you that the steel system had a different type of muffler/resonator than the titanium, hence the different sound? not trying to bash you but when you say you had a 3000gt i can't help but to think that this is a typical ricer claim
lol, yeah my ricer VR4 had well over to $15K invested in it. Don't mistake the VR4 for a Riced Honda, that could be a very costly mistake on your part if staging against the right one

Outside of the fact that his new system was Ti, everything else was the same; same OD, same PitRoad M muffler. Now granted, it could have very well been a something else, but it did sound SICK!

But as I stated, it savaging effects on a turbo system are far more superior than SS or MS; then you can move onto the Inconel for even better efficiency.

DM
Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
lol, yeah my ricer VR4 had well over to $15K invested in it. Don't mistake the VR4 for a Riced Honda, that could be a very costly mistake on your part if staging against the right one

Outside of the fact that his new system was Ti, everything else was the same; same OD, same PitRoad M muffler. Now granted, it could have very well been a something else, but it did sound SICK!

But as I stated, it savaging effects on a turbo system are far more superior than SS or MS; then you can move onto the Inconel for even better efficiency.

DM
sorry, but just because you have $15k invested doesn't mean that it is fast, all those goofy body kits and wings and 20" rims cost alot of money! nah man, just playing around, i actually really like the 3000gt's and their sister car, the stealth. got any pics, its kinda rare to see nice 3000gt's
Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jason00ss
sorry, but just because you have $15k invested doesn't mean that it is fast, all those goofy body kits and wings and 20" rims cost alot of money! nah man, just playing around, i actually really like the 3000gt's and their sister car, the stealth. got any pics, its kinda rare to see nice 3000gt's
Yeah Bro, sadly the VR4 / RTTT get tossed into the Ricer mix, but the thing is, you have to own one to really appreciate them. What I mean by that is; there is ZERO aftermarket for them basically, 90% of everything that is made for them was due to a owner getting sick of not finding what they want for it and just making it themselves then turning around and producing them. The VR4 & RTTT is a TRUE enthusiasts car because that what it takes to mod that platform; they are not like the Camaro, Trans Am, Mustang, Honda, or Supra - everything get thrown at those car, but the 3S (3S = 3000GT / Stealth) get practically nothing! And when they do, it is 5X as much. Pick anything on your T/A or Camaro, then IF you can find it - price it for a VR4. That is why I laugh when I read comments here talking about how $300 for "insert part here" is sooo damn expensive, lol.

Then after ALL the HARD WORK, we/they get tossed in as Ricers.

DM
Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm...well you can stage against any car and they might beat you cuz there somebody always faster than you. i still consider the vr4 rice...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
hmm...well you can stage against any car and they might beat you cuz there somebody always faster than you. i still consider the vr4 rice...
yeah, i mean technically even the nsx is rice... its japanese. its not riced out, its just rice
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Launching!

anyways, back to you original post, i don't think anyone makes a ti exhaust for the ta, still a newb at this though
Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99345hp
the material it is made out of doesn't change the tone of the exhaust one bit.
Hmmmm, so a catback made of wood would sound the same as good ol ss? I doubt that.

That is until it heated up caught on fire lol
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Hmmmm, so a catback made of wood would sound the same as good ol ss? I doubt that.

That is until it heated up caught on fire lol
You understand what i meant. Ive dealt with all exotic metals where I have worked in the past, and titanium and inconel are excellent for heat but do have their drawbacks.

Titanium and inconel both have a tendency to crack being that they are so hard. They are very very expensive materials, and you cant just have any joe weld them up. If you weld either metal wrong it will become brittle and crack. Titanium is supposed to be welded in a complete argon environment, like a argon bubble. Inconel is prone to crater cracking.

IMHO SS is the best material around for exhaust systems, cost and availability are big advantages over titanium or inconel. SS does have to be welded by someone with some experience with the material, but it isn't nearly the same as the other two materials.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99345hp
Titanium is supposed to be welded in a complete argon environment, like a argon bubble.
This is correct, you can't weld Ti, along with a few other metals, in an oxygenated environment.

If you're looking for sound, fabricate yourself a true dual system.