Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Debaffling" the hood vents area

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Debaffling" the hood vents area

I am new to this but i think the word is "Debaffling", meaning taking out plastic pieces in the hood scoop vent area to allow a direct air flow into the filter. If you look directly into your hood vents on your ram air equipped car it looks completely blocked off, WHY? Why did GM do this, has anyone debaffled theirs, i just ripped out the bottom piece and left the top for a rain guard. I know people have done this but have you taken out all of that crap? And if so have you had a problem with rain getting in?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Hey Rocco,
Yes Debaffling is correct.
I have had mine debaffled for a year or so. I removed both front and rear baffles. I do have a set of rain guards I put in if I take the car through a car wash or drive in heavy rain. butI have been caught in light to normal rain many times and have had a dry filter, when I checked. NOW when it is raining I drive very conservitly. no rpm pulls above 2.5 to 3K but below 2.5 if I can.

You WILL see an improvement in you MPG and you throttle response will be better.
If you do decide to do it let me know I give ya a few tips, and some info on the shields.

Pete

Last edited by killer01ws6; 12-01-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

See mine in album 1 through link in sig.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

would it make sense to just leave the top piece inside the hood vent instead of ripping it out, that could act as a rain guard already installed. Or should i just cut it out? there is already a straight shot to the filter, let me know what you guys have done.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

hey ND4SPD, did you cut the back of the hood vent area out? I am talking about the 4 oval looking openings , yours is all open, i have four oval openings i think im going to cut off to have an all open area like yours
Old 11-14-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rocco1005
would it make sense to just leave the top piece inside the hood vent instead of ripping it out, that could act as a rain guard already installed. Or should i just cut it out? there is already a straight shot to the filter, let me know what you guys have done.
Yes it would act as a rain guard..... but it would as so block the extra air you are trying to get into the car....
Old 11-14-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rocco1005
hey ND4SPD, did you cut the back of the hood vent area out? I am talking about the 4 oval looking openings , yours is all open, i have four oval openings i think im going to cut off to have an all open area like yours

There are two baffles up front at each nostril and one long one across the back. These are your factory rainblockers however the also defeat any real chance of Ram Air, seeing as the air has to hit the first two baffles and is then forced down under them, then the second baffle and up over it, and then down into the airbox and up through the filter. Remove them both for a nice straight shot. But this is not all, as there is also a huge 1" gap between the airbox and the hood allowing super-heated radiator air to mix with the cooler/denser outside air. It also doesnt provide any seal which is also required for a true ram-air effect.

My baffles are completely out and I have a seal that perfectly fits and seals the hood to the airbox when closed. I also have rainshields that clip on in 10 seconds if ever you are caught in a sudden downpour. This setup will yield you 2% hp gains for every 10 degrees cooler air you draw in. On a 325hp+ motor that is substantial and far worth the effort IMO. This really rocks and is one of the best things you can do to really take advantage of that awesome WS6 hood!

Hope that helps, now go out and get that car breathing cool fresh air the way it was intended to!

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ND4SPD
There are two baffles up front at each nostril and one long one across the back. These are your factory rainblockers however the also defeat any real chance of Ram Air, seeing as the air has to hit the first two baffles and is then forced down under them, then the second baffle and up over it, and then down into the airbox and up through the filter. Remove them both for a nice straight shot. But this is not all, as there is also a huge 1" gap between the airbox and the hood allowing super-heated radiator air to mix with the cooler/denser outside air. It also doesnt provide any seal which is also required for a true ram-air effect.

My baffles are completely out and I have a seal that perfectly fits and seals the hood to the airbox when closed. I also have rainshields that clip on in 10 seconds if ever you are caught in a sudden downpour. This setup will yield you 2% hp gains for every 10 degrees cooler air you draw in. On a 325hp+ motor that is substantial and far worth the effort IMO. This really rocks and is one of the best things you can do to really take advantage of that awesome WS6 hood!

Hope that helps, now go out and get that car breathing cool fresh air the way it was intended to!
Very well said ND4SPD
I agree 100%
Old 11-27-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say u get the BG Ram Air. It's so worth it. It makes a difference at the track too.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Question what tool did you use to debaffle

Originally Posted by killer01ws6
Hey Rocco,
Yes Debaffling is correct.
I have had mine debaffled for a year or so. I removed both front and rear baffles. I do have a set of rain guards I put in if I take the car through a car wash or drive in heavy rain. butI have been caught in light to normal rain many times and have had a dry filter, when I checked. NOW when it is raining I drive very conservitly. no rpm pulls above 2.5 to 3K but below 2.5 if I can.

You WILL see an improvement in you MPG and you throttle response will be better.
If you do decide to do it let me know I give ya a few tips, and some info on the shields.

Pete
hello
I have a 97 ws6 and was wondering what tool you use to cut out the
baffles in the front & back.
thanks
zoso

Last edited by zoso1959; 12-07-2003 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

long skinny screw driver. some jig saw action. and a whole lot of brute force pushing and pulling. Just rip the suckers out but wear gloves, fiberglass is nasty.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zoso1959
hello
I have a 97 ws6 and was wondering what tool you use to cut out the
baffles in the front & back.
thanks
zoso
I forget which one I used, but get a drill bit the size of the hole in the rivet,
and slowly drill it out till the head falls down the shaft of the drill.

You will have to look hard to see any change in the hoods underside this way. Only a little white spot where the rivet was no hood damage.

the front one will come right out, the back one is riveted and glued in.
I used a broom handle wraped with a rag as to not scratch the paint, push a little hard in the center, POP it goes and then take it out too.

Pete
Old 01-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Where did you get the carbon fiber pieces in your car??
Old 01-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Are these bafles only in the WS6 and are there any in a Firehawk hood? I was just wondering and how do you seal the hood to the air box? I saw many threads but needing to know how the sealing is done. Thanks for any help you can provide me.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Default Airbox seal

Where did you get the $45 foam seal? I need to get one of those. I was thinking about making my own, but it might be better to just buy it.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Launching!

erm, i know this is an old thread, but im going to bring it back to life to tell you... that with 98+ ws-6 there are rivets that hold the rain shields in the ram air scoops..... and if you pop the centers of the rivets out with a center punch.... and then drill them off the rest of the way with a drill bit..... and then the fiberglass pieces slide right out....

(atleast thats what i expirienced on my friends 02 trans am)

Dan

Quick Reply: "Debaffling" the hood vents area