Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with the car??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Whats wrong with the car??

Yesterday when i was parking my car it died. It started back up fine. When i drove it home i noticed that when i was off the gas and slowly moving the RPM's would drop to 300 or so and rise back up and it was fine. Then today i tested the car some more or whatever and when it's in neutral or park the car idles fine with the RPM's just above 500. When i shift into D,3,2,1 the RPM's will drop to about 300 and then rise slightly below 500 and idle rough with the tach needle slightly moving up and down.

My last mod was my MW 3400 TC 2.0 if that has anything to do with it. It's been in for about a month and haven't had any problems. I don't want to take it to the dealer now since the TC is in cuz my car is still under warranty. What could be the problems and what should i do? Thanks.

Dustin.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles on the car? Ever change plugs/wires?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do these cars have an idle air control valve. I had 2 third gens and when these started to go I had the same problems. It then got worse. Then the car just wouldn't idle, had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. It never set off a code. If they have an IAC, then that could be a direction.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightHawk
How many miles on the car? Ever change plugs/wires?
Miles on car, 25,5xx.

When i started to change the plugs i noticed that it had Denso spark plugs already in place. I changed 3 of those on the drivers side with NGK Coppers. I gave up on the far back one on the drivers side cuz i couldn't break it loose. I think i will go ahead and put in all the rest of the spark plugs that i still have laying around and see if that helps things. Any pointers on breaking the spark plugs loose, like a pipe on the end of the wrench to give it more leverage or what about a breaker bar?

Actually i was thinkin about taking it up to RPM and they can run tech 2 and check it out.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe your TC might have something to do with it. I think I heard that a
higher stall converter can cause your idle to drop a bit. I think...

I recently installed a 3500 in my car and it will occasionally search for the
idle and die if setting in gear for 3-5 minutes. In park it is fine.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's the answer you've been looking for. I also have a 2001 and it started giving me **** at 25k also. does it ever feel like its missing at lower rpm's? I think you might need to do the pcv mod. take the air box and bellow off the throttle body so you can see the throttle plate. then get something or use your finger and feel the inside of the intake on the pass. side right where the pcv inputs into the manifold. I bet youll find a crap load of oil, and maybe you can see the oil before you even open the throttle blade? if so, it may be a miss from all the oil your sucking down. Id first go to any gm dealership and tell them you need a pcv valve for a 2002 covette Z06. then replace your pcv with that one, it has faster valving in it and reacts faster. eventually though, you may need to do the pcv mod, just to a search and youll see what im talking baout. other than that, if theres no light, i doubt theres something wrong with the electrical(sensors and crap). I suppose it could be the convertor, but i dont really see how, but maybe you need to have the idle raised via a ls1 edit tune? check out if theres a place near you, and they should do it for under 150 with whatever else you want ei. adj. fan speed or shift points.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea..i haven't had a SES light before. I'll do the ls6 pcv valve and then change my plugs and oil this saturday and see if it runs smoother. There's no reason not to do the PCV MOD if it helps the engine from sucking in oil right? Actually it seems to be running better since the day it died and that i noticed it. It still idles somewhat rough but the RPM's don't drop to 300 or so anymore.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the oil to cause the miss, you would have to be sucking down ALOT of oil. LS1's do consume oil but to my knowledge, not enough to cause a miss unless something is wrong elsewhere.

Your converter ismore than likely the culprit of the problem. I dont knowalot about A4's but I do know that a good sized coverter can make your car do odd ball stuff sometimes.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

yeah it's more than likely your verter' since the idle wants to speed up due to the smaller converter turning more and the computer is trying to regulate the idle also so they seem to be battling each other. my .02 cents
Old 11-20-2003, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
Miles on car, 25,5xx.

When i started to change the plugs i noticed that it had Denso spark plugs already in place. I changed 3 of those on the drivers side with NGK Coppers. I gave up on the far back one on the drivers side cuz i couldn't break it loose. I think i will go ahead and put in all the rest of the spark plugs that i still have laying around and see if that helps things. Any pointers on breaking the spark plugs loose, like a pipe on the end of the wrench to give it more leverage or what about a breaker bar?

Actually i was thinkin about taking it up to RPM and they can run tech 2 and check it out.

Check out www.installuniversity.com for the spark plug change...they have an awesome walkthrough with pics. I used that one myself the first time I did plugs and had no problems (other than the shitty factory wires coming apart )

The tech 2 might not be much help if you aren't throwing any codes. It sounds like the computer is trying to relearn the idle (ie after you reset the PCM)...but if it does it frequently that's probably not it. I'm leaning toword the converter as well, I asked a mechanic that I work with and he said it was a good possibility. Maybe you can get someone to bump up your idle with edit?

Last edited by NightHawk; 11-20-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should i go ahead and reset the PCM and do the idle relearn procedure?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

I'm more than certain it's your verter', I have the same problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
Should i go ahead and reset the PCM and do the idle relearn procedure?
Would any of these help or should i not worry about it and get it tuned when i get LT headers?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Any solution to this problem. My car has done the same thing after about 200 miles after install of NX MAF, verter,NGK Plugs.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

I have the same problem with mine. It's a 6 speed though.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go ahead and reset the pcm, I think its most defiantly your converter, if resetting the pcm dosent help the only thing I know to do is get ls1 edit and bump the idle up a little or maybe drill the TB. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-06-2003, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

This currently happens to me too. But my car has never died yet. My last mod was a Vigilante 3200 stall. So I'm pretty sure it has to do with the torque converter. I just ordered new plugs and wires. I'll let you know if anyhting changes when I install them.
-Brent
Old 12-06-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does it still but hasn't died on my again since the 1st time. Also when i turn the steering wheel when i'm idle or in park the rpm's drop slightly...is that normal? I still haven't reset my PCM and will do that this coming wednesday. If that doesn't do the trick then i'll wait for my lt headers and then tune all at once.