Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve spring help

Going with a comp cam off the shelf cam....How much valve lift and seat pressue are the stock springs good for??

Need spring to support a .5 valve lift and 130# seat pressure I believe...cant remember the open numbers
Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Teching In

bump...... for ls1 valve springs....

Thanks
-Jeff

Last edited by starcitykid; 07-22-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

If you only need around .500 lift, some yellow ls6 Z06 springs should be just fine. I definitely wouldn't reuse the stock ones, they can barely support the stock cam. Check ebay, I've seen them for around 60 bucks new.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black2000ss
If you only need around .500 lift, some yellow ls6 Z06 springs should be just fine. I definitely wouldn't reuse the stock ones, they can barely support the stock cam. Check ebay, I've seen them for around 60 bucks new.
Sounds good....Do I need to change anything to use these on a 02 z?
Should I get roller rockers? What is the stock ratio?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock retainers and locks will work with yellow LS6 springs.

Put in new valve seals ($20), and a new LS2 timing chain ($40). These items are not optional due to low cost.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Stock retainers and locks will work with yellow LS6 springs.

Put in new valve seals ($20), and a new LS2 timing chain ($40). These items are not optional due to low cost.
Would I have to remove the valves to put in new seals? I've never put in a cam before and going to try and install mine with the help of my fother.
I do feel confident that I can set uo the valve train. My fother and I was planing on putting a new timing chain in though...the car has 43k on the clock. One question though...how do I set the timing?? Is it all set up in the cam sensor? Any suggestions on this??
I dont know if I want to use the stock rockers or get adjustable rollers....I bought the hardened pushrods that comp recomended...should I still check the pushrod length??
Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Checking pushrod length is always a good idea.

Valve seals can be changed when the valve springs are off.

Your computer decides when the coils fire.

Stocks rocker arms are excellent, even for high HP applications.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

I second that,never re-use the old OE Springs.You would be asking to float a valve sooner or later.Why not go with some 918 Comp Cam beehive springs to match your Comp Cams camshaft.They are designed for .600 maximum lift and are a valve spring for a mild street/strip cam.Always be sure to ask the experts about the ideal camshaft for your setup.The worst thing you can do is go top big,and end up with a car that falls flat on its face from a dig.I believe the maximum lift on the stock springs is .535.These guys also have some proven custom bumpsticks that some claim...resulted in better HP/TQ numbers than the off the shelf CC camshaft.http://www.thunderracing.com/

Last edited by lovescamaros28; 07-22-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Teching In

It's a 212/218 .522/.5xx
It's a shelf cam...nothing major. I didnt want anything to extreme because it is going to be my dd at school this fall...My dad said after we do the cam we are going to look into setting up the rearend with a different gear ratio. If I can sneak it past him I'm want to put a compucar nitrous in a bag kit on it..or what I'd like to do is put a procharger on it one day.
This was origanally his car...baby....and now is my graduation present. He's going to buy a 2010 camaro now though.
I just hope that the cam,gears, and tune will wake this thing up.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by starcitykid
It's a 212/218 .522/.5xx
It's a shelf cam...nothing major. I didnt want anything to extreme because it is going to be my dd at school this fall...My dad said after we do the cam we are going to look into setting up the rearend with a different gear ratio. If I can sneak it past him I'm want to put a compucar nitrous in a bag kit on it..or what I'd like to do is put a procharger on it one day.
This was origanally his car...baby....and now is my graduation present. He's going to buy a 2010 camaro now though.
I just hope that the cam,gears, and tune will wake this thing up.
Wake it up? LS1 takes very well to mods, but in stock form, you could hardly call it a dog.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend springs and pushrods on ANY aftermarket cam. We have seen time and time again on stock LS1 cars have valvefloat with the factory springs on the factory cam! If you are changing cam, then springs need to be changed as well. You might also look into some other aftermarket cams as well. There are several larger cams out that will produce more power than the cam you are looking at while still being EXTREMELY streetable and reliable on a daily basis. What mods are done to the car already? Any headers or induction mods? Let me know and I'll see if we can help you get a little more power out of your new setup!

Jon
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Wake it up? LS1 takes very well to mods, but in stock form, you could hardly call it a dog.
Oh believe me...it's quite a step up from my old dodge truck...I want more wow factor from it thats all. I want to be scared of it when I get into the gas.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I've been watching the box wrench videos on youtube and think I can do the cam swap fairlly easy.
I've bought the new ls6 springs new retainers and new locks.

My question is how do I install the new springs? I know I need a compression tool but will the valve fall down into the motor? How do I keep this from happening? Do i need to be at tdc to pull the spring and go through the full rotation to remove all of them? Will I need to pull the heads.?? Is there a write up somewhere on the net for a cam and spring install??

What is valve float and what effects can it have on my motor??

Thanks for the help guys
-Jeff
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the TDC method works, another popular way is to use an air compressor with an adaptor that fits into the sprak plug hole. i think a few sponsors may sell the kit
Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I've also seen a couple different ways to install the loks
1st. compress the spring with the retainer and put the loks in while compressed
2nd. install the loks into the retainers and press the retainer onto the valve.
Witch way should I do it??
Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Bump...Am I going to need an air compressor to install the new springs??? I dont have one and this part of the job has me worried because I dont want to pull my heads incase the valve drops.

Thanks
-Jeff
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

i wouldnt get comp 918's they are junk . get PAC's, patriot, prc or something else
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by starcitykid
Bump...Am I going to need an air compressor to install the new springs??? I dont have one and this part of the job has me worried because I dont want to pull my heads incase the valve drops.

Thanks
-Jeff
Check the tools and fab section and look for tims valvespring tool, for like 40 bucks you can get the adaptor to fill the cylinder with air and the spring comperessor which can all be done with the heads on the car. If you dont have an air compressor you the TDC method.http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23