New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback vs. muffler only

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback vs. muffler only

What, if any, are the advantages of a catback system vs just replacing the muffler? I have a Flowmaster muffler right now that has got to go. I want a Magnaflow or something with decent sound and good flow. But I don't want the tips sticking out the back, so i can't see spending $400+ on something that I'm only going to use part of.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Just get a cat back. I'm on a budget but want my car to be louder, so I'm looking at used ones. There are some killer deals out there. Just be careful and get lots of pics of all the parts.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

the biggest advantage to a catback vs just replacing the muffler is getting all the pipes that come with the catback because there mandrel bent and sometimes bigger in diameter
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you looked at going with a true dual setup??

or you can do a bullet muffler and dump it after the y pipe, and lose the catback. cheap and sounds good.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I custom built my catback. All the piping was 75 bucks. I bought a used Magnaflow muffler off of a member on here for 30 bucks. I just ran it like that with no tips for a long time. I just recently puts some dual dual tips on and that was about 120.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM

go cat back less restriction
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ less restriction with catback, hows that?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I say weld in the muffler or your choice
Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I custom built my catback. All the piping was 75 bucks. I bought a used Magnaflow muffler off of a member on here for 30 bucks. I just ran it like that with no tips for a long time.
Thats what I did on my V6. Get the muffler of your choice(for sound/flow) and let a shop custom make the piping.

80$ for the piping
100$ for new muffler and dual tips= 180$ catback.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

There is NO performance difference between a catback and just the muffler. If your stock pipes are in good shape, just replace the muffler. The stock muffler is the restriction, not the pipes. Hell the factory catback pipe is stainless and the same diameter as about all other catbacks. Imo just get a magnaflow muffler and have it welded in.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
There is NO performance difference between a catback and just the muffler. If your stock pipes are in good shape, just replace the muffler. The stock muffler is the restriction, not the pipes. Hell the factory catback pipe is stainless and the same diameter as about all other catbacks. Imo just get a magnaflow muffler and have it welded in.

I'll be replacing my exhaust soon, and if I end up not going duals I'm throwing a new muffler on there. I'm so sick of my flowstopper with it's internal rust and crazy resonance

Also, if you do it that way, like you said you won't be not using parts you don't really need (i.e. tips). I really like the stock tips because you really don't see a lot of cars with them anymore, plus they fit the low and wide lines of the car.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

What Catback systems are you looking at purchasing???
Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a ws6 catback w/ a dynomax muffler on before the loudmouth and definately gained a noticible power increase after the slp piece went on. I was debating the same thing as you also.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can afford it, go with magnaflow muffler in place of the flowmaster.

then put a cut out right under your back seat.

so you have really quite ride, and when you go WOT it will sound mean, and when you want maximum power open the cut out.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM

My buddy's telling me to go with the SLP LM. I'm kind of torn right now between that and a Magnaflow. I do like the look of the SLP Dual Dual tips. I just don't really care for the big single tips. That's just me though. But that Flowmaster is going regardless what I do.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
If you can afford it, go with magnaflow muffler in place of the flowmaster.

then put a cut out right under your back seat.

so you have really quite ride, and when you go WOT it will sound mean, and when you want maximum power open the cut out.
this is pretty much what i was going to recommend. power + sound when you want it.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezzmo
My buddy's telling me to go with the SLP LM. I'm kind of torn right now between that and a Magnaflow. I do like the look of the SLP Dual Dual tips. I just don't really care for the big single tips. That's just me though. But that Flowmaster is going regardless what I do.
The loudmouth is going to be just flat out... well loud. Some people can handle them but to others it gets annoying. I'm a big fan of my electric cutout so I can just close it up and the car gets quiet (relatively) when needed.

My car with a flowstopper and the cutout open is actually about the same if not a little quieter than a buddy of mine with the LM1. It's definately less obnoxiously raspy.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Agree, The LM is going to be very loud, the magnaflow imo from what ive heard is pretty quiet. If you do go with a mangaflow, get a cutout. If you go with a LM there is no need for a cut out.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:11 PM

It's not my daily driver so I'm not really worried about the noise getting too annoying. but i'll probably go to my local muffler shop and see what they can do. I have a Magnoflow on my Jeep GC and I think it sounds great. Wanted something aggressive for the Z though. Thanks for all the input. The F-body is a whole different animal to me, so any suggestions help out.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Go with used parts and you cant get a full exhaust. I got mine on here including coated LTs and cat back for about $350 and when I bought I chose between about half a dozen sellers with similar offers. I ended up adding some spiral flow mufflers due to noise from the whole system but still got out for less than the price of a new cat back and installed it all in a day and it sounds great.

Quick Reply: Catback vs. muffler only