New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soldier coming home from deployment needs help on purchasing vehicle!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldier coming home from deployment needs help on purchasing vehicle!

Hey guys,

On my previous posts, I mentioned that I'm a soldier deployed to Iraq and I'm coming home in mid-November. I also expressed special interest in the 98-02 Trans Am WS6. Well guess what? I was looking online for great deals and I think I might have found one.. Please let me know if this is a good deal. I have the full carfax on the vehicle. It was well taken care of, and very low miles compared to its year. I am getting it from a dealer in Sacramento, CA and it was bought from an auction for reposession. It has a clean title.

I talked the guy down to $14,000 OUT THE DOOR to include state tax (CA), dealer fee, and smog. I looked at KBB.com and suggested retail on it is $14,900 JUST THE VEHICLE not out the door! So I really think I'm getting a great deal on it. But nevertheless, I'd like to get your guys' opinion. I love the color too!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=267989369
Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Not a bad deal on an un-molested T/A by any means but you can surely find better. For $14k you can usually find a lower mileage one if you search hard enough. Check out the LS1tech classifieds section.

IMO that car is worth probably 12- 12.5k. At least in my area. Good luck with your purchase though. You cant go wrong with a 98-02 T/A
Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Not a bad deal on an un-molested T/A by any means but you can surely find better. For $14k you can usually find a lower mileage one if you search hard enough. Check out the LS1tech classifieds section.

IMO that car is worth probably 12- 12.5k. At least in my area. Good luck with your purchase though. You cant go wrong with a 98-02 T/A
Well, taking the HIGH TAX for auto purchases in california into consideration (10%) if you subtract say 1300 for tax, another 250 for dealer and miscellaneous fees, and another 50 for smog.. it will come out to around 12,400 for the vehicle itself. Now take into consideration that I'm also from the California Bay Area (SF area) where the cost of living is STUPID high. So naturally car prices will be a little higher too. I'm trying to decide if this is a good deal.. to where I should buy it now because it may not be available tomorrow.. someone might go buy it as we speak!
Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jh2586
Well, taking the HIGH TAX for auto purchases in california into consideration (10%) if you subtract say 1300 for tax, another 250 for dealer and miscellaneous fees, and another 50 for smog.. it will come out to around 12,400 for the vehicle itself. Now take into consideration that I'm also from the California Bay Area (SF area) where the cost of living is STUPID high. So naturally car prices will be a little higher too. I'm trying to decide if this is a good deal.. to where I should buy it now because it may not be available tomorrow.. someone might go buy it as we speak!
Well that does make the deal a little sweeter. Go check the car out and test drive it. If you want it then buy it. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Other option would be buying in another state.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Just make sure you or someone drives it BEFORE you buy it and make sure the rear end isnt making noise. 6 speed cars love to tear up rear ends, low miles or not.

Nice looking car.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like you found a good one man. If i were you, i would test drive it and if everything checks out, take it home that day. 12.4K isn't too bad at all for that car.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Sounds like a good deal to me.

Just make sure you or someone drives it BEFORE you buy it and make sure the rear end isnt making noise. 6 speed cars love to tear up rear ends, low miles or not.

Nice looking car.
Well here's my situation.. I am still deployed overseas until November. I can't physically see the vehicle nor can I test drive it while I'm out here until then. The guy says that he cannot hold it for me because he is trying to sell it asap. So I'm wondering what would be a good idea as far as buying this vehicle? Should I send a family member or a friend to look at it and inspect it? I just don't want to buy the car through wiring money to this dealership and when I come pick it up, there's a noise in the rear end or something along those lines.. Cuz that would really suck.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,
I'm at Kalsu, Iraq myself. Back in 2000 I was in Kosovo, while i was there, I found a car online that I just had to have. It was a 90 vette. Great condition yada, yada.....I had my wife check it out, of course she said it was fine....I got home, too late to get a refund, and the car was trashed....It wasn't even the same car in the pictures i was sent....trust me bro, wait until you get home to get one, I know how you feel, you feel like you found the ONE but trust me, there's much better deals out there, hell, there's better deals on this site!!!! WAIT...
Old 10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
Hey,
I'm at Kalsu, Iraq myself. Back in 2000 I was in Kosovo, while i was there, I found a car online that I just had to have. It was a 90 vette. Great condition yada, yada.....I had my wife check it out, of course she said it was fine....I got home, too late to get a refund, and the car was trashed....It wasn't even the same car in the pictures i was sent....trust me bro, wait until you get home to get one, I know how you feel, you feel like you found the ONE but trust me, there's much better deals out there, hell, there's better deals on this site!!!! WAIT...
too late i just bought it.. 14,000 out the door.. i hope i'm happy when i see it in about a month and a half lol..

so what ya think?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, good luck man. hope someone trustworthy looked at it for ya. be sure to get pics of that thing up as soon as you get back and let us know just how much you love your new LS1 after driving it
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

congratz man. your gonna love the car.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have listened to the guys on here...F bodys are a dime a dozen...c shouldda came home and checked it out first. Car looks clean in the pics though. I was in iraq my self so I know the feeling of needed something to look foward to...I bought my procharged car on here for 15K...looks clean though...good luck and hope all works out with the car!!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks a ton guys for helping me decide. I just wired the money over, and I got a faxed copy of the purchase order stamped "payed in full"

just waiting on it to arrive at my mom's house within 7 business days. I'll have my mom take pictures of the car and email them back to me and i'll post it up on here.. i really really really hope i don't get screwed.. but i talked to the dude.. and i MADE SURE i asked him everything about it. he said that the pictures uploaded on there are recent and what you see on the picture is what you get.. so it looks clean on there so hopefully it is clean in real life. thanks again guys.