Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell Premium Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shell Premium Gasoline?

Is shell Premium Gas good to run in the ls1?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Touch
I know this will sound kinda funny, but its the only gas I put in my Formula...mostly for its known quality and its one of the few places here with 93 octance which burns best in her.
Ed
Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Touch

Shell gasoline is one of these highest quality, cleanest burning pump gasolines out there. This is also what I generally use. Anyone who tells you anything else does not know about gasolines. There is in no way that all gasolines are the same or created equal. The only thing that can possibly be the same is the base stock. The TOP brands in my part of the country are Shell, Mobil, and BP/Amaco. Even between these 3 formulas is a big difference. No one can be consider better between the 3. All gasoline by me is blended with 10% ethanol(from corn). The Shell by me is blended with an upper cylinder lube, in which they claim better MPG. The BP/Amaco by me is refined better to remove sulfur in the gas, in which they claim reduces emmisions and keeps the cars internals cleaner. Mobil, has an exceptional detergent philosphy. The problem is lower quality gasolines. I love how some people by the most expensive car, install the most expensive parts, and then fill up with lowest quality gasolines because they think its all the same. I know someone who works at at a GM dealer and when someone comes in with a rough running engine or a miss, the 1st thing they ask is what kind of fuel is being used. Its always a lower brand unless something mechanical is wrong. What happens is the lower quality gasolines actually oxidize the pintles(injectors)and things dont flow correctly. This is where a professional fuel injecting services is needed. Period. This is not to say that you should not use a fuel system cleaner with other brands though. GM claims you should never have to added ANYTHING to your gas or oil. Oil I agree, gas i don't. Staying away from these gasolines are mandatory for the best performance, and engine cleanliness. Is it good to use in an LS1; YES. Some low quality gasolines in my part are as follows: Speedway,Clark,Gas City,Citgo,2001,and there believe it or not is WalMart brand gasoline.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you want see too much a difference b/t Shell/Mobil/BP Amaco, you cant go wrong with those, I always use Amaco, I have ever sense I bought my beast.

Wes
Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

What about Premium from Chevron, I have heard alot of people say that Chevron gas is pretty good quality.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Just my .02 cents. Use the highest octane you can find in your area. Regardless of brand if you ever see an unmarked tanker at the station you use. FIND a different 1 fast.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I would have to agree with Jay. You see an unmarked tanker at your local station, run like the place is going to blow. From what I have heard from GM and other sources, Chevron with Techron in their gasolines is an excellent fuel. When a car comes into the dealer with a problem as I stated above, the fuel injection cleaning services is usually performed using 50% Techron and 50% fuel to run in the injector cleaning machines. As far as I know, all Chevron fuels have this in their fuels and their premium 93 has the highest concentration of it. Also as stated by Wes, you cannot go wrong with Shell, Mobil, or BP/Amaco. If your going to use the seperate Chevron Techron fuel treatment(avaible at MOST auto stores)most GM techs like to change the fuel filter after treatment as cleaning intank is very thouough.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner is also a terrific product. I use it before every oil change out of habit. It also will boost the heck out your milage on the highway for that tankfull anyway.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys Just got a new shell station up the road from me and the prices are pretty good
Old 12-09-2003, 04:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sunoco 94 octane here baby
Old 12-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Launching!

We actually have a couple stations here in San Antonio that sell vp100 octane at the pump!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We just got a new Shell as well. It's a bit out of the way for me though. The highest we have around here is Sunoco 94. I usually go with Exxon/mobile 92/93. Sometimes if Amoco is around, i'll use that. I never use the convenience store chain gasoline (Big Foot, Sheetz, etc...).
Old 12-09-2003, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I miss Sunoco. I moved back to Chicago from Ohio 1 week after I bought my bird.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Teching In

I've been told the Mobil is great with their extra additives.
Also was told to alternate sinc my car is under 25k$ I should use the Regular mostly and get Premium once a month.
That Premium is for 25k$ and above. Was I told wrong?
Old 12-09-2003, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

That is and 100% false and If you drive a V8 LS1 model you should use PREMIUM and only that. From the time the engine rolled out of detroit until is a hideout for a rat in the local junkyard. Most premiums contain 1)more additives which make a drastic difference over the life of the car. 2) And will allow the max. timimng from the computer. As soon as you put regualar in, timiming says I'm gonig to make this car a
Old 12-09-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all ive ever put in any of my cars is shell premium. In california the highest octane at the pump you can find is 91 octane.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Teching In

We actually have a couple stations here in San Antonio that sell vp100 octane at the pump!

Your ECM doesnt know anything above 94 octane. Save your money
Old 12-09-2003, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JaysGone

Your ECM doesnt know anything above 94 octane. Save your money
I've read that you will actually confuse the computer into thinking it's lower quality if you use anything over 94 or any octane boosters. Therefore you will not only waste money but lose performance.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98SmokingGun
I've been told the Mobil is great with their extra additives.
Also was told to alternate sinc my car is under 25k$ I should use the Regular mostly and get Premium once a month.
That Premium is for 25k$ and above. Was I told wrong?
WTF? How would the MSRP of a vehical have anything to do with the type of gas you use??? It all has to do with the engine.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

93 Oct only since new & 120K + miles.
have never used additives, change the oil/ filter religiously.
Still get approx. 350 miles per tank @ 23.5 MPG Hwy.
Cant' beat that.
Oh yeah, I use Shell,Chevron only!

Quick Reply: Shell Premium Gasoline?