Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Which engines will fit in a 94 firebird and with what modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engines will fit in a 94 firebird and with what modifications?

I have over 215K miles on my V6 and figured its about time for an upgrade. Will both the LS1 and LT1 fit in the car? I would buy the transmission with the engine.... but what all would have to be modified as far as CPU or anything?
And will LT1's or LS1's from other cars (not Fbodies)fit the same?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

as people said in your other thread... just buy a ls1 car, they can be had for cheaper than it would cost to retrofit an ls1 into your car. ESP if you have never done it since you will likely buy a bunch of **** that you dont need, or pay someone else to do it. Less headaches to just pull the trigger on a ls1 car than stuff one into a 215k 94.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Well I have to make this last until I buy a new trans am. I am going to save enough to get a REALLY nice one, might as well do it right. Im not sure this car will last too much longer, so im getting as much information as possible before I get faced with an ultimatum... sell it or put another V6 in it
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on buying another car anyway, then just make the repairs to the v6 car. It will be much cheaper and easier to replace a v6 than to retrofit a v8 into it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Can you answer the question? I really want a V8 and I would like to sell it with a V8 in it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Garr
Can you answer the question? I really want a V8 and I would like to sell it with a V8 in it.
sell it with the v6 and buy a ls1 car.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok... to put a v8 in it, you are looking at a MINIMUM of 4-5k. probably more if youve never done it before. If you sell it, you will get a MAXIMUM of 3-4k. not a smart investment.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

he didnt ask your opinion on his car, he ask what he could put in it. ANY ls car or truck motor will fit the same way. the k member is slightly differant so im not 100% sure on what you would need to make it fit unless you changed the kmember. im sure you can make it work tho. you would need the computer and complete engine wiring harness. same for the lt1... basically you need the computer and wiring to go along with whatever you decide... 5.3 ls truck motors can be had dirt cheap, but you will need a car intake and complete front accessory drive off a car engine.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wasn't giving my opinion on his car. I was simply informing him if he can't afford an LS1 car he can't afford the swap. at this point they can be had dirt cheap, and they would be newer than his car and have less headaches than the swap. aside from that VERY few people want to buy a car that has had the motor swapped out.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my EXP with LTX stuff is v6 cars often share nothing in common with v8 stuff interms of driveline, harness wiring, etc etc. So if you were to persay put a LT1 in there you will need to up grade. I came across multiple v6 cars w/o a Posi unit which is sorta important when it comes to applying power to the ground and if it was a manual car, v6's came with a 5 speed if I recall, they did not get a T-56.

So IMO he should budget for a full driveline swap and be it LS1 would need to do the WHOLE engine harness and K member. OR like said sell and look at a LS1 based 98+ car as they are becoming more affordible.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Only two of you got the point. Thank you. My engine is about to **** out, and I can buy a used LS or LT for only like 100$ more than a V6. I would not buy a crate motor obviously. Thank you for the intelligent responses gold98z28 and BSM. I am currently saving and looking for a 98+ trans am, but this car is my only mode of transportation, cause I am in college.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Ok you need a motor w/ all accesories- $2000 at least, rear end- $300, t-56 if manual- $1000, drive shaft- $300, k-member shocks/springs- $1000. Thats not even the half of it...If you do some searching you can find a detailed list of what you need. Good luck. If your doing an lt1 I would take off $1000 from the total.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Garr
Only two of you got the point. Thank you. My engine is about to **** out, and I can buy a used LS or LT for only like 100$ more than a V6. I would not buy a crate motor obviously. Thank you for the intelligent responses gold98z28 and BSM. I am currently saving and looking for a 98+ trans am, but this car is my only mode of transportation, cause I am in college.
and you're missing the point, its going to cost you much more than just the engine. think... engine, transmission, ecm, entire fuel system, even the gas tank is different, engine mounts, k-member, accessories... it addes up VERY quickly. sure if you look at JUST the cost of the engine it looks appetizing... but you have to look deeper than that or you'll end up with a car on jackstands till you get out of college.

I'm in college too, and I thought of going your route, but looked into it and realized LS1 cars could be had for less hassle and not much if any more dough. ask anyone who has done this swap, and unless they had an entire wrecked LS1 donor car they will tell you the swap wasn't worth the money/time.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To do the swap properly and set the car up as it came from the factory with a V8 you need an entire donor car. Whether LT or LS it does not matter everything differs from a V6 car. The k-member(subframe), rack and pinion, steering shaft, engine accessory drive, radiator, cooling fans, coolant hoses, ABS module, brake lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, AC compressor, AC lines, rear end, shocks, springs, instrument cluster, transmission mount to match the transmission used, driveshaft, and all wiring for the instrument panel and engine.

If it is an auto you will need the matching transmission, torque converter, and cooloer lines.
If it is a manual you will need the matching transmission, clutch, flywheel, master cylinder, and clutch fluid line.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

i just did this swap in my 2000 firebird....i dropped an ls1 in the car things i needed to get for it to work....Ls1 engine, 4L60e trans ecu wiring harness, or for the trans u can get a 4L60E bellhousing from the v-8 and put that on ur v-6 trans and it will work, next u need a different k-member i think mine was a BMR fabrications. u do not need to change ur fuel pump my fuel pump even works with higher injectors. next u will need Ls1 stock springs front and back. rediator that came with the Ls1 trans am/camaro cars.
thats basically it.....u dnt need much parts like every1 else thinks you need to do this swap

i got motor trans ecu- for 3200 tht was also with radiator and driveshaft, u do not need to change driveshaft i figured out.

next k-member-paid $390

coil springs -$100? i cnt recall that

install:$1900 that was with a built 10 bolt put in which was $400 install.

total install w.o 10 bolt $1500

tht install was from a guy a personally know.
u can do this swap for cheap its not that expensive....but once u put that v8 in that car i doubt u will wanna sell it.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

i jus read everybody elses comments on the fuel u do not have to do nething to your fuel or fuel lines! you do not need a new rear end at all u do not need a new driveshaft dont listen to them and waste your money....i jus did this swap and it runs great. i know exactly what to do.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

and one more thing jus read do not swap and lt1 or ls1 from a different vehicle stick with trans am or camaro only.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm

that should help to but remember wat i did to mine tho
Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

DAMN those were some good answers. BINGO thank you guys SO much. Can I PM for details?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike mlodecki
i just did this swap in my 2000 firebird....i dropped an ls1 in the car things i needed to get for it to work....Ls1 engine, 4L60e trans ecu wiring harness, or for the trans u can get a 4L60E bellhousing from the v-8 and put that on ur v-6 trans and it will work, next u need a different k-member i think mine was a BMR fabrications. u do not need to change ur fuel pump my fuel pump even works with higher injectors. next u will need Ls1 stock springs front and back. rediator that came with the Ls1 trans am/camaro cars.
thats basically it.....u dnt need much parts like every1 else thinks you need to do this swap

i got motor trans ecu- for 3200 tht was also with radiator and driveshaft, u do not need to change driveshaft i figured out.

next k-member-paid $390

coil springs -$100? i cnt recall that

install:$1900 that was with a built 10 bolt put in which was $400 install.

total install w.o 10 bolt $1500

tht install was from a guy a personally know.
u can do this swap for cheap its not that expensive....but once u put that v8 in that car i doubt u will wanna sell it.
that adds up to $5990.... you can get a used 98-2000 for that price and you wont have to worry about weather or not anything on the swap will go out. Also that means you spent almost 6 grand on a car that wont sell for 5 grand. in the OP's case it would be less than that because it is a 94 model (with underglow LOL)

i jus read everybody elses comments on the fuel u do not have to do nething to your fuel or fuel lines! you do not need a new rear end at all u do not need a new driveshaft dont listen to them and waste your money....i jus did this swap and it runs great. i know exactly what to do.
You didn't do the swap, you paid someone to do it... why should anyone listen to you since you obviously didn't have the knowledge to do it yourself

and one more thing jus read do not swap and lt1 or ls1 from a different vehicle stick with trans am or camaro only.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm

that should help to but remember wat i did to mine tho
Any LS based engine will work, the only differences are the accessories and intake if he goes with an LS out of a truck.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Why does everyone hate on the underglow first off? It looked really good. To each their own right? I have a thing for lights and sound, and it was sound activated. Dont be such a douche. The last reply was actually answering, so lets stick to that.

Quick Reply: Which engines will fit in a 94 firebird and with what modifications?