Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heating up street tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating up street tires

Me and my brother were talking about this earlier. I've always heard that you're not supposed to heat up street tires because it actually reduces their performance. Is this true? Why or why not?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Restricted User

basically, if im at the strip and racing. the most i will do to my street tires is just barely spin them. i mean like maybe 5 rotations. as soon as i hear them spin i stop them. just enough to get the gravel etc off of them. i cut a 2.0 (m6) on that and it was on the 16k miled eagle ga's from the factory
Old 12-15-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackTA
Me and my brother were talking about this earlier. I've always heard that you're not supposed to heat up street tires because it actually reduces their performance. Is this true? Why or why not?

? Well if you've got slicks then do do a big burnout. It cleans them off and heats up the tires making them more sticky. But for radials all your doing is burning off thousands of miles of rubber. You might also overheat the tires which will nullify their bite. For the best traction with radials go around the water box. Because driving through it will leave water in the treads. Which will probably run down to the contact patch. And fight the need for a big smoky burnout
Old 12-15-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea man It's pointless to spin street tires, the tred is very firm and heat resistant, you could spin thim a little to get all the trash off but other than that its pointless.

Wes
Old 12-15-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not saying that I do a burnout at the track, I'm looking for info to back up my argument.
Does anyone have a technical reason why heating up a street tire is bad? I don't remember where I heard it, but I recall reading that Z rated tires are designed NOT to heat up, as heating them up reduces performance, but my brother says that doesn't make sense because when they heat up they'd expand better.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I dotn heat them up, just couple rotatiosn to clean the crud off (youll hear them screeth or tone change)

<-1.84s with a mid 12 second car, and six speed on Potenzas
Old 12-16-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Doing big burnouts on street tires, leaves the tire "greasy" the little rubber ***** that you burn up, get caught up in the tread and stuck to the tire, then when you drop the hammer its like driving on marbles.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always heard that street tires when burned will actually produce a compound that will make them not stick.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

The "marbles on the tread" thing is true. Hot street tires do not maintain the same sticky characteristics that performance drag tires do. For one, the sidewalls are stiffer than most drag tires. They simply do not flex as well (if at all) which is most beneficial to a launch. With a harder tread compound, the tire rubber will form pebbles instead of "glue" like drag tires. This is a basic description but I hope it helps.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Z rated tires have a much harder compund so when at high speeds they will hold their shape and not heat up because flexible tires at high speed isn't very safe. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-16-2003, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

I burn the **** out of mine when i had eagle F1's(shitty anyway)I could drop the clutch at 3100 RPMs and they wouldnt spin i pulled a 1.901 on Them after a 25 second burn out good trake prep too !!! Next time I tried it i broke a yoke seal in the rear and the clutch melted to the floor and took forever to come back up (Shitty too ) but before when i didnt burn them up they sucked and spun like hell ,the best i could do was a 2.131 but i havent done it with the Nitto 555 yet probebly never will tires are expensive
but i hated the F1's
Old 12-16-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On these Kumho tires (hey, they were cheap) a quick burn out works best, just when they start to smoke. I drive around the water if possible (need less burnout). A big burnout doesn't help any extra and they won't grip just turning them over a few times. This is on 30 PSI too.

Best 60 ft is 1.92 rolling into it.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:10 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a burnout on my Sumitomo's with my Mustang. I cut 2.0 60's with those heated to just as they started to smoke. Avoid the water wheither or not you are going to do a burnout. You should always spin them just the get the stones and dirt off from driving through the pits.

Quick Reply: Heating up street tires