Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to educate myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to educate myself

I've been a member here for about a year and a half (since I bought my car). I have another deployment coming up and want to better educate myself. I'm interested in everything from how to match internal engine components (like cams and heads) for any application, to writing my own engine tunes. I am not a mechanic, but I'm a fairly accomplished wrench-turner, so I would have to start with the basics. I'm headed out to pull 2 of the books off the sticky in this section. I wouldn't even know where to begin, so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your writing demonstrates ample learning ability. Ability plus desire usually guarantees that you will learn. Learning about these engines is fun. When you get the chance, dive in. Be safe.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Those books have a lot of great info in them. You will learn lots from them and this forum. Good luck and I'm sure you will pick up tons of usefull info here.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go for the books, start with how a basic engine works, then go to a fuel injection book to learn how to tune, most of the books in the sticky are good material so start there. Make sure to start with basic books then go to specific engines and other materials next. Enjoy your 3 month vacation!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Modify-E...3308887&sr=8-1

Check this out. It's a good read.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Enjoy your 3 month vacation!
Aww give the Air Force guy some credit...we deploy for longer than 3 months, and I AM an EOD tech...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read and then go out and try it on your car. Thats the best way I find to learn things. Just remember that while most things on this site are great and most of the guys know what they are talking about, its not always the gospel. Good luck with all.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EODguyJake
Aww give the Air Force guy some credit...we deploy for longer than 3 months, and I AM an EOD tech...

Good luck over here, I was just giving you some ****. Just don't cut the blue wire
Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats exactly what I during my tour in Iraq. I read book after book.

Some of the books get really technical with some very crazy math, physics and theory.. Start with the basics and move up. It's always much more difficult to try and learn when your not hands on, but be patient.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

I agree with them. I'm by no means an expert. but i started with sbc. i started out with a rebuild guide and an engine. i tore it apart. put it together. since then i've repeated a few times and it's pretty much etched into my memory. IMO you start with an idea. then you redo and redo and redo untill it's pretty second nature. thats where i am with the lsx right now lol the main thing is to HAVE FUN!