Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have 4000, need 400-450 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have 4000, need 400-450 rwhp

By the end of this summer i should have about 4000 dollars to spend on my 98 Z28 Camaro M6. I would like to buy upgrades enough to produce between 400 and 450 rear wheel horsepower. Can some experienced people give me advice on what exactly to get?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that 10 bolt wont like sticky tires your gonna need a clutch and a nice cam and spray or do you want to stay n/a?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are your mods now?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles on the clock?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

full boltons and a cam should get you over 400rwhp.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$550 Headers + Y pipe
$1300 budget heads (not recommended)
$60 GM head bolts (or $140 for ARP's)
$100 GM MLS HG's + other gaskets (IIRC)
$325 LS6 IM
$400 cam
$125 oil pump
$40 timing chain
$30 ls2 lifter trays
$5 balancer bolt
$65 fluids
$1500 H/C + tune ( ballpark)

You are at $4500 right here and this is bare minimum. At this HP level if you use that HP you are looking at a clutch and rear in the not too distant future. See what you can pick up used and you can save some $$$.

I would also advise getting really good heads off the bat so you don't end up spending that money twice. Your heads hold the ultimate potential to the power you can make.... TFS as cast + the necessary rocker or AFR's with stock rockers are in the $2200-$2300 range but will optimize your combo.......
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Whats your goals for the car? If its just a weekend cruiser then I would get a good heads and cam package and get as many supporting bolt-ons as you can.

If you will be racing it, I would invest in a 12 bolt/9 in now and spend the rest on exhaust/bolt-ons.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
$550 Headers + Y pipe
$1300 budget heads (not recommended)
$60 GM head bolts (or $140 for ARP's)
$100 GM MLS HG's + other gaskets (IIRC)
$325 LS6 IM
$400 cam
$125 oil pump
$40 timing chain
$30 ls2 lifter trays
$5 balancer bolt
$65 fluids
$1500 H/C + tune ( ballpark)
$550 Headers + Y pipe - For new stuff, you might can get out a lot cheaper in the classifieds

$1300 budget heads (not recommended) - Again search the classifieds, but you can easily get over 400rwhp with stock 243s for $500

$325 LS6 IM - LS6 Instant messenger? the Facebook one is way better.

$400 cam - I would personally pay that for a custom cam, but proven cams can be found in the classifieds as well for less.

$125 oil pump - You can find used newer style oil pumps for less the $40 on here or buy a new Melling for $90

$30 ls2 lifter trays - Or you can just save your money here.

$1500 H/C + tune ( ballpark)- Is this another heads/cam charge or do you expect a tune to cost that much?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I have 138xxx miles on my engine. Although we take care of it religiously and are the original owners. My mods are Koni Single Adjustable Shocks up front, Bilsteins in the back, reinforced sway bars, lid, smooth bellows, free mods, 3.73 gears, B&M short shifter, centerforce stage 2 clutch, fidanza aluminum flywheel, and a loudmouth cat back. i think thats it but i may be missing some. I plan to just use it as a DD with very occasional racing. I just really want at least 400 rwhp n/a. Any specific cams/heads would be very appreciated! I just would like to know what a good setup would be
Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check out these 2 heads,
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=203&catid=47

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=832&catid=47

Those with their 228R cam on a 114lsa would be good for a DD.
Dont forget full exhaust (headers, Y pipe, cat back) and a ls6 intake, The new heads/cam need to breathe.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

excellent! Would either of those coupled with a full exhaust give me at least 400rwhp?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98z28CamaroJG
excellent! Would either of those coupled with a full exhaust give me at least 400rwhp?
Yes. Heads, cam, ls6 intake, and full exhaust should get you 425 (+ -) rwhp.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

WTF is your problem *******. Do you have a drinking problem or are you just STUPIDe:

[QUOTE=JonCR96Z;12973427]$550 Headers + Y pipe - For new stuff, you might can get out a lot cheaper in the classifieds About the only thing I agree with you on.

$1300 budget heads (not recommended) - Again search the classifieds, but you can easily get over 400rwhp with stock 243s for $500By the time you buy a set of springs to match the cam and get the valves lapped you've got more than $500 in it and you still have a set used heads with used guides in it etc.......

$325 LS6 IM - LS6 Instant messenger? the Facebook one is way better. WOW That is so clever. I bet everybody on here about fell out laughing.You so ******* witty you should write a book.

$400 cam - I would personally pay that for a custom cam, but proven cams can be found in the classifieds as well for less. I wouldn't buy a used cam unless I personally saw it to verify condition. Besides saving a $125-150 on something as important as a cam just means you are a cheap bastard. BTW I run a custom

$125 oil pump - You can find used newer style oil pumps for less the $40 on here or buy a new Melling for $90 Only a dumbass would run a used pump and my Melling 10296 was $125 from SDPC

$30 ls2 lifter trays - Or you can just save your money here.Because LS2 trays are cheap insurance to keep a lifter from spinning in the bore and a good upgrade over the flimsy LS1 trays

$1500 H/C + tune ( ballpark)[B]- Is this another heads/cam charge or do you expect a tune to cost that much?]Yeah that is a pretty accurate ballpark for a H/C install and a tune.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-03-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

WTF is your problem *******. Do you have a drinking problem or are you just STUPIDe:
$550 Headers + Y pipe - For new stuff, you might can get out a lot cheaper in the classifieds About the only thing I agree with you on.

$1300 budget heads (not recommended) - Again search the classifieds, but you can easily get over 400rwhp with stock 243s for $500By the time you buy a set of springs to match the cam and get the valves lapped you've got more than $500 in it and you still have a set used heads with used guides in it etc.......

$325 LS6 IM - LS6 Instant messenger? the Facebook one is way better. WOW That is so clever. I bet everybody on here about fell out laughing.You so ******* witty you should write a book.

$400 cam - I would personally pay that for a custom cam, but proven cams can be found in the classifieds as well for less. I wouldn't buy a used cam unless I personally saw it to verify condition. Besides saving a $125150 on something as important as a cam just means you are a cheap bastard. BTW I run a custom

$125 oil pump - You can find used newer style oil pumps for less the $40 on here or buy a new Melling for $90 Only a dumbass would run a used pump and my Melling 10296 was $125 from SDPC

$30 ls2 lifter trays - Or you can just save your money here.Because LS2 trays are cheap insurance to keep a lifter from spinning in the bore and a good upgrade over the flimsy LS1 trays

$1500 H/C + tune ( ballpark)[B]- Is this another heads/cam charge or do you expect a tune to cost that much?]Yeah that is a pretty accurate ballpark for a H/C install and a tune.
First off that is a horrible quoting job.

About the 243 heads. You can often times get them for less than $500. I've just sold 3 sets of them for $500 (and less) shipped and still put some money in my pocket. Getting them surfaced and a valve job costs me $150 (Other shops could be more or less). And assuming that you don't want to run the stock springs you can sell them for $50-60 easily (I have). But no one said that you needed a cam with more than .550 lift to make 400rwhp. The guides do wear out it happens even on aftermarket heads. If everything is setup properly its less likely. Even if you had new guides, seals, valves, valve job, mill, etc... you would still have a few hundred less in them than ported ones. Though that would be getting towards the point of wasting your money and most people will just get a set of used heads, only surface them (maybe a valve job) and run them without problems for a long time.

Not knocking CNCed stock or aftermarket castings. They're just not needed if all you want is 400rwhp.

I made 402rwhp in my bolt on LS6 CTSV. You can go bigger than an LS6 cam yet still use those springs. You could have one custom speced with that in mind. However, a custom grind is little more than just an educated guess at what's gonna work with your setup. I would still run one and whatever springs were needed with it, but again if you just want a cheap 400+rwhp, it's not needed. You're against buying a used cam but people do it everyday with good results. You can verify it's condition before you put it in the engine.

There are few parts inside of an oil pump to wear out. I'm not sure what caused the failures in the early style pump but it's too easy to get a newer one with low miles. I would recommend inspecting any used part before you use it for yourself. And you bought a new Melling but it was only new the first time you used it. Now every time you crank up your car you're running a used Melling, that I bet if you tore it apart wouldn't look much different than a low mile stock pump (as far as wear). And you can get a M-295 for $90. You can pay more for a HV pump if you want, but it's not needed in most cases.

How often does a lifter spin in the stock LS1 tray? I'm sure it's rare. I've never even heard of it. And I like how you recommended all this new **** and didn't list new lifters also? If it were my car it would have tie bar style lifters and no trays, but that's just me and it's not needed.

I didn't realize that you were quoting an install price. I have no idea what people are charging for that.

And lastly, I don't' know if that's your g/f or what, but your current Avatar is somewhat lacking compared to your older ones.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude WTF is wrong with you that you have to come on here, quote my post and argue point for point.

Your advice about the oil pump was especially STUPID! You never know what you are getting used so why risk a motor or having to tear it back down over a few bucks. Yeah My pump now has 30K on it and is used but I also know it's history and know nothing has gone through it that could damage it BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT NEW!!

Your lifter tray advice was the next most STUPID thing in your post. I have seen a lifter spin in the bore and take out a block because the tray failed..... You wanna risk this over $30 be my guest

Yeah I forgot to mention lifters. $120 LS7's are fine for a street cam. No link bar lifter's needed for his setup...

If you sold LS6 springs for $50-$60 you ripped somebody off because they are $60 NEW!!! And any decent cam will need a good set of beehives minimum (918's or PAC1215's), maybe even duals so your reworked 243's are starting to approach "budget" ported heads.

I know these are not like flat tappet cams that shouldn't be run second hand but I have seen several "should I run this cam" threads on here where guys bought used and the cam had surface rust or worse was pitted. I still wouldn't buy one unless I had the cam in my hands.....

LMAO about your comment about the quoting job SO ******* WHAT Is that all you can do is talk **** about my quoting and avatar. How the **** is that relevant on an LSx forum??

And about the avatar apparently somebody is offended by the ones where her *** crack is eating her bikini bottom as you can see in my sig below. Now I gotta play it safe. But if you posted you BF's *** I bet it would be a FAT PIMPLY BABOON LOOKING CAVE OF MAN LOVE

I am outta this thread because you are dragging me down to your level of idiocy and are gonna beat me with experience

OP I am sorry me and this douchebag ruined your thread
Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
MASS seller approved

check jon's posts he is in a pissy mood this time of month the is in the red zone lmao he has been a jerk off lately your not the only one he has laughing at him
Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
check jon's posts he is in a pissy mood this time of month the is in the red zone lmao he has been a jerk off lately your not the only one he has laughing at him
Haha Yeah I'm like WTF is up his ***

Now I really am outta this thread..........
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude WTF is wrong with you that you have to come on here, quote my post and argue point for point.

Your advice about the oil pump was especially STUPID! You never know what you are getting used so why risk a motor or having to tear it back down over a few bucks. Yeah My pump now has 30K on it and is used but I also know it's history and know nothing has gone through it that could damage it BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT NEW!!

Your lifter tray advice was the next most STUPID thing in your post. I have seen a lifter spin in the bore and take out a block because the tray failed..... You wanna risk this over $30 be my guest

Yeah I forgot to mention lifters. $120 LS7's are fine for a street cam. No link bar lifter's needed for his setup...

If you sold LS6 springs for $50-$60 you ripped somebody off because they are $60 NEW!!! And any decent cam will need a good set of beehives minimum (918's or PAC1215's), maybe even duals so your reworked 243's are starting to approach "budget" ported heads.

I know these are not like flat tappet cams that shouldn't be run second hand but I have seen several "should I run this cam" threads on here where guys bought used and the cam had surface rust or worse was pitted. I still wouldn't buy one unless I had the cam in my hands.....

LMAO about your comment about the quoting job SO ******* WHAT Is that all you can do is talk **** about my quoting and avatar. How the **** is that relevant on an LSx forum??

And about the avatar apparently somebody is offended by the ones where her *** crack is eating her bikini bottom as you can see in my sig below. Now I gotta play it safe. But if you posted you BF's *** I bet it would be a FAT PIMPLY BABOON LOOKING CAVE OF MAN LOVE

I am outta this thread because you are dragging me down to your level of idiocy and are gonna beat me with experience

OP I am sorry me and this douchebag ruined your thread
My advice about the oil pump is spot on. A good used one is just that, good. I mean if you don't trust used stuff then don't buy it but don't worry about saving money. Just go out and get the best stuff that money can buy.

I'm sure somebody fucked up there lifter tray and installed it anyway therefore causing a problem later on. If it's something that happens all the time and people post it on here that I have just missed it. I have however seen 2 or 3 cases of failed LS7 lifters.

You can't get new LS6 springs for $60. $75 yeah, but people will buy them used for $60. I have bought a set of 243s for $325. And have seen other buy them with damage or missing something for way cheaper (better value, even after they're fixed). Just saying that you don't need $1300 worth of heads to get what this guy wants. Would they be better and help him make more, of course.

It still comes down to what you're willing to buy used.

And obviously all I have to argue about is your ability to quote and your avatar because out of like 4 paragraphs that took up like 2 sentences. you got me.

I just didn't realize that your original post was the end all to "How to...400+rwhp" threads. I'm sorry for that.

At least SOMbitch's opinions on the matter are credible and well thought out. You just spout out bad advice with no knowledge/logic behind it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 PM
MASS seller approved

that ***** must feel painful anyways you make friends all over this board and honestly i could care less what you think
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

that ***** must feel painful anyways you make friends all over this board and honestly i could care less what you think
Talk about not adding anything to a thread. I'm glad this guys in your corner, SOMbitch.

I know you could care less about me. That's why you've been posting in threads that I'm in just to tell people that it's that time of the month or that I have something up my ***. You seem to be a little too obsessed with my sex life, I hope your not just fantasizing.