Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOO MUCH pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOO MUCH pressure!

i bought a 99 ws6 about 2 months ago and when i first got it the coolant level sensor kept blowing out of the radiator.. so i replaced it and has been fine ever since.. but now the upper radiator hose keeps blowing off of the radiator.. i took the stock hose clamp off and put a worm clamp on it and it did it again.. so i doubled up two worm clamps side by side and it blew off again.. it did this 3 times within 25 miles.. so something is causing it to build up WAY TOO MUCH pressure in the cooling system.. the gauge never went over 210 and there is no signs of water in the oil.. but after running it 2 miles down the road and coming back to the house and killing the car, you cant even attempt to touch the heads they are so damn hot.. any help would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited by GTwannabe; 05-24-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

pressure like that is almost always a blockage in the radiator.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

i had the radiator flushed when i put the coolant level sensor in
Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GTwannabe
i had the radiator flushed when i put the coolant level sensor in
I stand by my statement, unless you replaced the core or at least had it rodded out, I would bet there is a bunch of crud in the radiator, flushing it out doesn't work very well in my experience, just drives the blockage deeper in.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

is the thermostat opening?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevboy28
is the thermostat opening?
not sure yet.. im actually leaving the house now to go get one and put it in to see if that helps anything.. if not, i guess i have a new thermostat.. cant hurt anything..
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't rod out the stock plastic radiator..........or replace the core....
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Teching In

this may be a stupid question.. but i took the hose off and barely any coolant came out, but when i took the thermostat housing off it POURED out.. is this a sign of it being stuck closed? or is this normal?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this pic helps!!
Attached Thumbnails TOO MUCH pressure!-lsxcoolingflow.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

If is not the thermostat it could be a bad head gasket pumping compression to the coolant system!! I've seen it happen!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

How about the cap? Rent or buy a cooling system pressure test kit. Use the tool to see what is going on. Could be a head gasket, could be radiator, could be... XXX component and so on.

Start basic cooling system troubleshooting. Test the system under pressure. Toss the thermostat in boiling pot of water and watch see if it moves or not. Remember you can never have enough tools

You will fix it.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
How about the cap? Rent or buy a cooling system pressure test kit. Use the tool to see what is going on. Could be a head gasket, could be radiator, could be... XXX component and so on.

Start basic cooling system troubleshooting. Test the system under pressure. Toss the thermostat in boiling pot of water and watch see if it moves or not. Remember you can never have enough tools

You will fix it.
i put the thermostat in a boiling pot of water and it took it 2 or 3 minutes to open in the boiling water.. and it opened very very slowly.. slow enough that i couldnt really see it moving
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
How about the cap?
This is where I would start.

If the cap is working properly, excess heat/pressure should cause coolant to blow out the overflow bottle, not blow hoses off the radiator.....unless there is a blockage in the radiator not allowing the extra pressure to push coolant into the overflow bottle.

this may be a stupid question.. but i took the hose off and barely any coolant came out, but when i took the thermostat housing off it POURED out.. is this a sign of it being stuck closed? or is this normal?
Assuming you pulled the hose off when the motor was NOT at full running temp, then it would be normal for the t-stat to be closed at that point. Since you have it apart, might as well swap out the t-stat and see what happens. I would replace the cap too, just make sure you get the correct rating cap.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Teching In

i really appreciate everyone's input.. bout to go buy a cap for it then come back and take it down the road to see what she does
Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
If is not the thermostat it could be a bad head gasket pumping compression to the coolant system!! I've seen it happen!!!!!!

this man right here.. you were right.. but a tester over the filler neck and cranked the car to check for exhaust gases.. the little blue dye turned yellow within 3 seconds.. definitely a blown head gasket or cracked head.. yay me! ftmfl!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

this man right here.. you were right.. but a tester over the filler neck and cranked the car to check for exhaust gases.. the little blue dye turned yellow within 3 seconds.. definitely a blown head gasket or cracked head.. yay me! ftmfl!
Glad you found the problem!! all the inputs were good and remember them, we are here to help like a big family!! but at the track is a different story haha

Quick Reply: TOO MUCH pressure!