New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wouldnt slow down from 50MPH...help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car wouldnt slow down from 50MPH...help!

I did the Fernco mod today and i think it might have something to do with it...but anyways here is what happend..

i was driving to hollywood video goin about 50...then i left off the gas and my car didnt slow down so I hit the brakes and my revvs were still up...i immedietly pulled over, put my car in N and shut her off..i popped the hood open and messed with the throttle body cable and everything seemed fine. Turned her back on and drove fine...even did a couple of fast runs and a WOT run to see if it was ok. ok now for some reason my car stays at 30MPH for a LONG time before it start slowing...but anything above that seems fine...maybe im just paranoid and never really noticed it that it doesnt slow much...its too dark outside right now to diagnose the problem...but what things can i look for?? isnt there a screw or something on the TB to adjust the blades? maybe I accidently loosend it up or something...

any ideas? oh yea...if anyone can try this for me: drive up to 30MPH(OD w/3.23 gear) and let go of the gas and count how long it takes before it get to 25MPH or so..i would appreciate it

btw, my idle is at 500RPM...thats the normal RPM @ idle, right?

much appreciated
Old 01-17-2004, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELS1
I did the Fernco mod today and i think it might have something to do with it...but anyways here is what happend..

i was driving to hollywood video goin about 50...then i left off the gas and my car didnt slow down so I hit the brakes and my revvs were still up...i immedietly pulled over, put my car in N and shut her off..i popped the hood open and messed with the throttle body cable and everything seemed fine. Turned her back on and drove fine...even did a couple of fast runs and a WOT run to see if it was ok. ok now for some reason my car stays at 30MPH for a LONG time before it start slowing...but anything above that seems fine...maybe im just paranoid and never really noticed it that it doesnt slow much...its too dark outside right now to diagnose the problem...but what things can i look for?? isnt there a screw or something on the TB to adjust the blades? maybe I accidently loosend it up or something...

any ideas? oh yea...if anyone can try this for me: drive up to 30MPH(OD w/3.23 gear) and let go of the gas and count how long it takes before it get to 25MPH or so..i would appreciate it

btw, my idle is at 500RPM...thats the normal RPM @ idle, right?

much appreciated
Well, if it seems "different but in a bad way" after you put the bellows then maybe check to see if the throttle is sticking or hanging on something.??. The Fernco bellows isnt going to make much noticable difference but if you keep thinking its acting weird well put the stock one back on and see if it fixes itself.. At least then you will know? I know when i did the same mod i had to cut mine to get a nice fit. It wont go on unless you cut it.. Well.. it will but, itll be really tight.. Maybe that is whats causing it?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

If the floor mat shifts around it can jam up the throttle. Maybe a coincindence to your mod.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this sounds dumb but check for air leaks, maybe around the TB where you put on the Fernco.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the suggestions...im gonna get up early before it rains and see if there is any leaks and check the floor matts(yea sounds funny but its possible)...

and yea i did cut the bellow so my lid could fit. oh yea...is 500RPM idle normal? my friend has an M6 and it idles @ 750
Old 01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

A4 in gear idles at 500ish...in park idles around 650 or so.

Wes
Old 01-18-2004, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to make sure the throttle cable isn't getting hung up on the TB "thingy". I can't remember the correct term to save my life. It's the metal piece that the throttle cable rest in and it rotates when you give it some gas. What you described happened to me at the track once. The throttle cable somehow jumped out the groove it's supposed to rest in. I fixed it and it never happened again.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
Check to make sure the throttle cable isn't getting hung up on the TB "thingy". I can't remember the correct term to save my life. It's the metal piece that the throttle cable rest in and it rotates when you give it some gas. What you described happened to me at the track once. The throttle cable somehow jumped out the groove it's supposed to rest in. I fixed it and it never happened again.
That happened to me once on the highway, scary ****.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Super Mario
That happened to me once on the highway, scary ****.
I was spraying a 150shot and the return road was coming up quick. I felt like a road racer when I hit that corner.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Launching!

well guys i think i fixed the problem...seem that the cable was out of the groove...i cleaned it and put it back on...and im back to normal

thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ELS1
well guys i think i fixed the problem...seem that the cable was out of the groove...i cleaned it and put it back on...and im back to normal

thanks
That's what I was trying to describe. Glad you found the problem. I would suggest possibly removing some slack in the throttle cable.