New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie mod mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets see... flowmaster and shorty headers...i kick myself everytime i think of how quick i wanted to jump on things
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Like the first post, that SLP Flow Pac crap. And then a couple down, SLP LTs. I think I'll replace them with Dynomax headers. Anyone know the clearance on those?

-somebody
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

1) Not finding LS1tech sooner.
2) Buying a HPP3 - now doing FI, heads, cam, headers, etc. needs dyno tune.
3) MOST IMPORTANT - Not consulting the person who was going to do my dyno tune prior to buying all of the supplies for my setup. I've found that most tuners have different preferances for parts with tuning. It isn't always a matter of which part is going to get you the most, but what the tuner can get out of a specific setup.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I really don't think doing one given mod is really a newbie mistake. I think the biggest and worst newbie mistake is not doing enough research for any given modification. Which leads to second mistake of getting in over one's head, then forced to deal with an unforseen problem. But then again, that is part of the learning process.

As much I hate the search ***** on this board; they do have a valid point. Using the search (it should be called the research button) feature will usually bring up a wealth of information. The LS1 has been around for 7 years now; so if you plan on modding you car; more than likely it has been done before. Which means the problem(s) encountered have been dealt with and fixed by someone else in your situation.
I totally agree with you on your point about researching but......not until joining LS1tech..
When I first got my WS6 i was a member of ls1.com (hundreds of lost posts and data after like the eighth time losing of their site)
Every time I have searched on a topic, I get thousands of answers, almost always with different opinions and methods/suggestions, not to mention leading to hours and hours of reading just to end up with a huge grocery list of things to check or possible resolutions, before you know it you have tried all of them and you still get that strange noise that nobody can explain or something of the like.
My suggestion would be first research on whatever it is you want/need to do.
Do as much research as you can. Maybe make some friends in a local club who can help you along with their experiences..ALSO buy a Shop Manual.
I have a huge list of things i would do differently
1. Not getting 12-bolt sooner (blew 2 10-bolts first)
2. Still have my Flowmaster that I bought the car with
3. Hotcam...need I say more
4. Predator
5. SFC's welded in by friend who definetly didnt know what he was doing
6. Not documenting/taking pictures of installs for others to benefit
7. Being broke all the damn time from this car
Old 12-03-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

messing around fixing my 10 bolt instead of just putting that money towards a 9".
Old 12-11-2005, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Not buying a stall converter as first mod.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattDZ28
I agree...

along with putting a damn "dynomouth" on my car w/o cats. Waste of money, and sounded terrible. Multi exhuast set ups... lots of wasted time & money. I would also rank descreening my MAF right up there.

Lastly, ARP balancer bolt. NEVER again!

That's about all I can think of. I see some people here not liking a TQ arm or QA1's... both work fine for me, and the ride is great. I have an SLP lid, price was fine, and it fits better than a few of the other lids I've seen on LS1 cars.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDZ28
I'm with ya, i still dont have one! But also buying the ZO6's when i knew i wasnt sure how i looked only to switch them out for my ZR1's which i could have bought cheaper at the time!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
messing around fixing my 10 bolt instead of just putting that money towards a 9".
My mistake was buying a Moser 9".
Old 01-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

so what is so bad with the slp mods (the lid and the maf )please help im a newbie and those were gonna be my 1st mods I just got a 99 SS A4 on new years eve help me before I spend my money
Old 01-04-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by URNZONEBAIT
so what is so bad with the slp mods (the lid and the maf )please help im a newbie and those were gonna be my 1st mods I just got a 99 SS A4 on new years eve help me before I spend my money

Nothing wrong with either, just some were having rubbing issues with the SLP lid on an SS car. And some WS6's. I personally had no fitment issues with the SLP lid. Great quality in my opinion. Better made material as well.

As for the MAF. More of a waste of money as you dont see any real gain on a stock car. And I think some had some sort of driveability issue as well. Stock MAF's flow well enough for moderate mods. Once you start hitting bigger cubes, and FI is where I would consider something other than stock.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

thanks psykoTA
Old 01-04-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. Good luck with the mods. Dont be afraid to ask any questions.

And dont forget- There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers
Old 01-04-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so far the only thing that i have done wrong is buy a used stall from a member on here, had it put in and a week later is was done for, took out my whole trans too. Ended up being a $2600 mistake ..$400 for first stall + $200 to put in, then $1500 for new trans and $400 for new stall + $300 for install of trans/stall. now knowing what i know i could have done the stall myself. but this site has helped from making lots of mistakes, and saved me lots of time and money on install cost too.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

I'd have to say a newbie BUYING mod mistake would be buying from Summit or Jegs when you should really be buying from the sponsors on the right of the page. Prices are way lower. I'm glad I decided to check them out before I order stuff for my car. Saves lots of money.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Luckily thanks to this site and LeddySS98 I haven't made many mistakes. when I started modding I did FTRA, whisper lid (fits good) HP Tuners, !CAGS ,and 160* thermo, TB bypass, dropped fan temp w/HP Tuners in one shot. Then got UMI 3pt SFCs bolt on. Got SLP TCS reverse switch, then Lous short stick with stock hurst. Next is True duals, spohn torque arm with driveshaft loop. 12 bolt and textralia clutch.
Only regret is not getting weld on SFC's
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Only regret is not getting weld on SFC's
any good welding shop and weld them in for you. only takes about 5 minutes to do everything
Old 01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

This is ninetres, TonDss needs to learn how to sign out on my computer

WOW THIS THREAD IS UNBELIEVEABLE.

I'm still learning every click here but from what I see, my mistakes:

1. de-screening MAF, although I have no problem yet.
2. Not welding y-pipe yet because my claps scrape sometimes...cars lowered....TSP ORY
3. Not "massaging my floorpan" yet to make more room for PS LTs and ORY.

TSP ORY: My buddy got mine to fit in about 10-15 mins tops, but he is damn strong. My header or the Y knock on my floor pan but I think I can fix that. I can't hang any lower than true duals, and there are no flat spots
Old 01-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default my biggest mistake

I actually got a list
1 not buying the 01 red ss camaro I was gonna buy ( woulda been 1/5 Paid off already
2. buying my s ten extreme

3 Buying my 5.0 mustang (somebody PLease show me the light , where did I go wrong

I would post pics of my car but I am afraid It is not worthy
Old 01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

(1) SLP Maf for my 02 Z/28 No problems or Drivability issues at all with it but now that i am getting a Tune i am told they can't do it with the SLP Maf on their because of the circuitry inside is a pain in the *** to tune around.
(2) Diablo Sport Predator was good for a temp fix on a Automatic tranny it made it shift better but now that i got my Transgo Shiftkit installed i had to take out the program so now i am stuck with an over priced diagnostic toll
(3) Red hid headlight bulbs to match my cars paint they looked cool until driving in the ran but because they have a red tint to them the light quality sucks/ Switched back to Silver star i can see better again

Quick Reply: newbie mod mistakes