New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum LS1 vs Cast Iron 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^How much money are you talking about throwing at that block though to make that much power. Have you seen what VA Speed wants for their prepped 1,XXXhp LS2 block. And truthfully how many people on here are actually making over 600 whp NA which is what he's looking for (not saying he is looking for that kind of power, but just saying). Hell I'm not even making that.

The OP is asking about a which is better LS1/LQ9 basicly and is there any difference. Non-FI with no thoughts of nitrous. If he rebuilds his LS1, then he stays aluminum. If he builds an LQ9 then he has to spend a couple hundred bucks on a block that can take alot and could still be stroked after the fact for a future build. Can't do that with an LS1 block as much and since he said that he would have to start saving means he is on a budget also for now for say an LS2 block.

I'm not picking a fight Elias799, just trying to show cost saving on a budget. He could get a LQ9 now and have it forged, have some fun with it. Then later turn it into a 370 and blow the hell out of it or 402/408 it and spray the hell out of it with the same block. Very cost effective fella
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
^^^How much money are you talking about throwing at that block though to make that much power. Have you seen what VA Speed wants for their prepped 1,XXXhp LS2 block. And truthfully how many people on here are actually making over 600 whp NA which is what he's looking for (not saying he is looking for that kind of power, but just saying). Hell I'm not even making that.

The OP is asking about a which is better LS1/LQ9 basicly and is there any difference. Non-FI with no thoughts of nitrous. If he rebuilds his LS1, then he stays aluminum. If he builds an LQ9 then he has to spend a couple hundred bucks on a block that can take alot and could still be stroked after the fact for a future build. Can't do that with an LS1 block as much and since he said that he would have to start saving means he is on a budget also for now for say an LS2 block.

I'm not picking a fight Elias799, just trying to show cost saving on a budget. He could get a LQ9 now and have it forged, have some fun with it. Then later turn it into a 370 and blow the hell out of it or 402/408 it and spray the hell out of it with the same block. Very cost effective fella
yes it is cost effective from your perspective, but what if he get the iron block, throws it in his car only to find out he killed the handling characteristics of it and then he has to spend time to pull it out again and spend more money and time on the aluminium block, i just want to give the guy another opinion so he can make up his own mind.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear ya and definitely respect your opinion. I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything, just adding to the idea Elias799. Sorry to hy-jack and back to topic
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im happy with my cammed LQ4 ( about to do different heads soon).
When the LS1 blew a rod at 85K miles, the cheapest low mileage LS1 I could find was around $3500.00. I got my 2005 LQ4 for $1100.00 with 41K miles.

BTW the 6.0's are 65lb heavier. About the same as a optima battery.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

I have a ls1 aluminum 383 stroker but planing to change to a iron block 402 or 408 stroker I just don't feel safe with a 150-200 shot but is just me! elias_799 i disagree on your post "i would want an aluminum alloy motor for a street car not iron, you do not want that much more weight over the front nose, you are going to feel it when taking corners on the street" remember you can change suspension components to compensate!! but who in here cares about cornering its all about a straight line!!! only a crackhead turns corners at 70+mph and what will be a problem driving a street car with a iron engine will i notice a difference haha nop!!

Quick Reply: Aluminum LS1 vs Cast Iron 6.0