Sponsored by:

a4 vs m6

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 vs m6

This newb gots some questions:
Im looking to get a 99-00 z28, at first i wanted the m6 but im reading alot about the a4 tq converter mods and they impress me.

This car is my only baby, and it took me a while to get the $$$ to get her, so I dont feel like shelling out all the money on upgrades that might hurt it. I was planning to do a hooker header and lid upgrade, anyone know of any decent priced shops around NYC?

And which do you guys recommend, the a4 or m6?
Old 01-24-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've driven a4 and m6 ls1s before. Its basically going to come down to your preference of driving. If you like automatics go with the a4, if you like shifting your self then m6. I drove a friends a4 02 ws6 and didnt find it as much fun as my m6 98 z-28... all comes down to what you want.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:39 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your the one who's gonna be driving the car, why dont you tell us what you want. im an m6 guy myself.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO M6's ARE MORE FUN TO DRIVE. A4's are awsome at the track. In the long run it will take much more $$ to have a M6 keep up with an auto.... in the 1/4 that is.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Launching!

A4s..even the M6 guys go auto as they get faster.

.....what is so fun about an M6 that cant be done in an A4? missed shifts? over-revving? bent pushrods?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Can't go wrong with an A4/stall converter combo.

As far as shops, give CARTEK ( www.cartek.net ) a call, they're in NJ not too far from NY and are a loyal sponsor of this board.
I'm very happy with the work they've performed on my and my friend's cars.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:20 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by monkeyboy

.....what is so fun about an M6 that cant be done in an A4? missed shifts? over-revving? bent pushrods?
theres more to a car then 1/4 mile performance . autocross, roadracing, open track racing and pure fun m6's cant be beat, period.

if your only goal is to go fast in the 1/4 then yes an a4 is the way to go.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monkeyboy

With an A4 you don't have to worry about missed shifts or bent pushrods most of the time. A six speed takes more feel and skill to drive. That makes it more fun I think. An auto would be good for my wife.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've driven automatic sports cars before and I just dont feel involved enough no matter how much wheel clinching I do. Atleast with a manual transmsision it takes more than 3 of my brain cells to get from A to B
Old 01-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
theres more to a car then 1/4 mile performance . autocross, roadracing, open track racing and pure fun m6's cant be beat, period.

if your only goal is to go fast in the 1/4 then yes an a4 is the way to go.
ahhh.. i forgot about those events
Old 01-24-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i prefer A4 just because a torque converter and some tires are enough to make it REALLY HAUL A$$!....it can be just as fun as an M6 IMO....once again though its up to u, if you're gonna drag race it and since you say itll be your only car, id go auto.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Launching!

everyone is saying if you are drag racing get a a4. when ya go to the track you will be in a manual class anyway so it shows who is the better driver in a manual rather than just pressing the gas pedal in an a4.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 95 TA is an auto and bought a 2000 ws6 m6 about 6 months ago and am more then happy i went with the m6......
Old 01-24-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdp244
everyone is saying if you are drag racing get a a4. when ya go to the track you will be in a manual class anyway so it shows who is the better driver in a manual rather than just pressing the gas pedal in an a4.
what are you talking about? manual class? last time i checked MOST (not all so dont get on me about this) classes of STREET cars are open to whatever transmission you feel like running....have you ever even been to a track? have you actually raced there?

also, i'd appreciate if you wouldnt say things like "just pressing the gas pedal". i know the rest of us with autos (particularly stalled autos) will tell you that while i admit it takes a bit more skill to make a good pass in an M6 car, theres more to drag racing an auto car than "just pressing the gas pedal". launching becomes particularly difficult with a converter that has a high stall and high STR. also, some people with automatics put manual valve bodies in (not so much 4th gen F-bods because 4L60Es dont have too much in the way of aftermarket valvebody kits), meaning they shift the cars themselves anyway.

I apologize for the length of this post but i always get annoyed by comments about how "easy" it is to drive and race an auto.

this hijacked thread is hereby returned to its rightful owner....

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 01-24-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
my 95 TA is an auto and bought a 2000 ws6 m6 about 6 months ago and am more then happy i went with the m6......
i dont think the transmission choice was what made you happy..more like the fact that it was an LS1.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
what are you talking about? manual class? last time i checked MOST (not all so dont get on me about this) classes of STREET cars are open to whatever transmission you feel like running....have you ever even been to a track? have you actually raced there?

also, i'd appreciate if you wouldnt say things like "just pressing the gas pedal". i know the rest of us with autos (particularly stalled autos) will tell you that while i admit it takes a bit more skill to make a good pass in an M6 car, theres more to drag racing an auto car than "just pressing the gas pedal". launching becomes particularly difficult with a converter that has a high stall and high STR. also, some people with automatics put manual valve bodies in (not so much 4th gen F-bods because 4L60Es dont have too much in the way of aftermarket valvebody kits), meaning they shift the cars themselves anyway.

I apologize for the length of this post but i always get annoyed by comments about how "easy" it is to drive and race an auto.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Old 01-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

My car is an A4 because of price, condition, mileage, etc. - it was what I found. But I prefer shifting for myself. It seems to be that the torque curve of the LS1 is especially suited to a manual trans - and that's why the high-stall TC's are so popular with the A4 guys. The LT1, with its low end grunt, really worked well with autos, especially around town.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lerajie

lol me or the other guy?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:16 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

c'mon, just admit it, your a closet m6'er