Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Trans - Am injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans - Am injector pulse

I have a 98 TA with a 383 LS1. It has been acting up for a while but now refuses to start. I think it is in the VATS or as a call ot CRAP system. I have no injector pulse. I need help deleteing it or just getting my car to crank! Thanks Jay
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Does your security light in the cluster stay on when the key is on?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Teching In

No. It comes on when you put the key in and goes off. I have 58psi of fuel at the rail and I have fire. It will crank up on carb cleaner, just no injector pulse. I see you have a 383 as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you get injector pulse from commands from the PCM. I would guess you either have a bad PCM or the wiring is bad to the injectors somewhere. I know there is at least one fuse for the injectors, have you checked that yet?

Did it start acting up after the 383 install? You might have a ground issue (one on the back of the head I believe) that maybe is loose or something if it was tightened back up.

Last edited by lt1pwr1; 09-09-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Teching In

No the 383 has been in the car. I was yold the VATS sysmtem kill the injector pulse. I know it can be taken out of the tune but can it be done now that im having trouble with it?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Im about ready to order an intake and carb for it. If I do I will have a FAST intake, Fast Throttle body, am GM ported throttle body, and 42lb injectors for sale. The car runs good when it runs I want the VATS system GONE!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this just happen all of a sudden? Or would it sometimes start and now it doesn't start at all?

What I meant was the PCM actually commands the injectors on but first it needs to be commanded by the TDM (theft deterrent module)/BCM in order to do that. This is where VATS comes in to play unfortunately. Usually you will have the security light on if you have an issue with the ignition cylinder or key themselves so it may be an issue with the TDM/BCM itself.

Your ignition could be ok and be sending the signal to the TDM/BCM but maybe your BCM isn't sending a signal to the PCM to enable injector pulse. You don't have any issues with the windows not rolling down or the radio malfunctioning do you? It very well may be a BCM issue.

So, if your key/ignition is sending a signal to the TDM/BCM, and your TDM is sending the "OK" signal to the starter and PCM for injector pulse, then you have a problem with the PCM itself. It is getting the input, but not sending the output for injector pulse. What you need to find out is if your PCM is getting the signal. Sorry for the long post but that is what I meant by your PCM could be bad.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

The key ohms out at 7.50 which is right for the key. I can spray carb cleaner and it will crank. I thinks its the VATS because it acted up for a while and noe it is just dead. I want to get it fixed so i can move on to other problems like broken stock torque arm and the trans leak which i think is a broken case. That car runs STRONG when it runs but its been dead for about a month or so and I want to take it to the track. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

It would be cheaper to get it tuned out than it would be to replace the fueling system to a carbed setup. I have used a bypass module on older models before like late '80s to mid '90s models. I have bought them from bakerelectronix.com .. Looking on their site they do offer a unit for our units. Its an easy install - one key on power, one ground, and another wire you splice into the signal wire from bcm to pcm. Its worth looking into, unless you already have someone lined up that can tune it out. Good luck with it.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Teching In

Red face

My turner is tuning it out today but said if it already has a problem with the VATS that tihs will not fix it. Im keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Tuner had already turned it off. Buying a pulse generator now.

Quick Reply: 98 Trans - Am injector pulse