Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I go to pick up my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So I go to pick up my camaro

After we fill out all the paperwork for the loan (even set up a new bank account to save money on the payments) I get back to the dealer and he lets me in on the secret that the car has problems starting in the cold. Oddly he had the car running when we returned from the bank. The car drove perfectly all the way home, but after arriving home, and switching the car off the thing wont start back up. After trying everything I could think of I call a friend to help me with the work. He was checking the spark plugs while I turned the engine over. And low and behold the car wasnt even making a spark. After calling the dealership the best I could get out of them was "wait a half hour and if it dosnt start call us back and we'll get a tow service to bring it in for repairs."
This whole situation irritates me beyond belief. I gave them initial payment and confirmed that I would buy the car on saturday. They have had the car since then and failed to even attempt to get the car to run. Oddly enough they started the car on the first attempt infront of me on saturday before I test drove it. Now it wont start at all, dosnt produce a spark, and the best thing I can get from them is that they will get a tow tomorrow and repair it and that it could take up to a week.
Sorry for the rant but I guess the whole reason I am making this post is to get everyone else's opinion. What would/should you do in this situation? I really dont think I should just let the dealer off for free after going through the trouble of taking a day off work just to spend it with a car that wont start.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

um... so they dealer told you it has a hard time starting when it's cold out the day you were picking it up? I would have just said forget the car. It's not yours until you officially take delivery of it.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I would have been like, on second thought, stick the car up your ***. Do you trust them enough to do the repairs even?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, just take it back and tell them to blow you.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Yeah, just take it back and tell them to blow you.
I agree w/ the above statement. How much did you pay and how many miles? Thats complete horseshit dude. Personally i would not have left the lot w/ that car if the dealer informed me of that.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only reason I left the lot was that I had seen it started infront of me without problem. Also knowing the some cars do get picky with weather change I thought little of it. I really don't trust the dealership at all but I do feel they should pay to get the car to run properly. I've been prevented from going around with the dealer, my father is now doing all the talking due to my lack of patience with people like this.
Kev as far as the questions, im paying 10k for the car, and it has 53k miles on it.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hear all that...I hope you and you father get everyhting worked out w/ the dealer and the car. 10k for a 98 w/ 53k on it is a decent price, minus the bs. Good luck man.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the good luck wish. I'm trying to think of what I could be, maybe something I can fix myself. Does anyone think it could be the crank position sensor? I've tried about everything else I can think of.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

I feel your pain. I drove 3 hours one way to pick up my car this past July and when I got there it cranked for like 15 seconds before it started. When I asked the guy, he was like "Uh...oh yeah, it does that every once in a while, but it's never left me sit." It didn't last a week. I took it to the dealer and found that the pcm was fried. They put a computer in it and in less than another week the new one was fried too. The second time they found out that the MAF sensor was bad also. They replaced both of them, but it still didn't solve the problem. Sometimes when I go to leave it will just crank and not start - no codes or anything. No one can figure it out. Good luck!!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:10 PM

I am completely sympathetic. When I was looking for my Z28, I went to alot of dealerships. One in particular had a used Formula ram air on the lot in my favorite green. He started the car, and the starter sounded like sh*t. He said he would be back because he had to put some gas in it. He never did return, and I'm thinking was this something personal or a blessing. A modern day car should have no problems with whatever kind of weather it's exposed to. I'll bet the car has had some sorry-*** maintenance done on it in the past. If you think you can pull it off, go for it. If you think your friends are astute enough, then take it by the horns. If your gut is telling you there's a snake in the grass, go with your gut and don't touch the car.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What im planning on doing is letting the dealership handle this problem, they have arranged a tow for early tomorrow mourning. If I have any problems with the car after it is returned to me I will give them back the car at cost. If they have a problem with that I've got a good attourney that I have already talked to.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an update for anyone that really cares. The dealer told me that the computer that recognizes and acknowledges the chip in the key had shorted out. I've never really heard of that happening before but they said the car is running perfectly now and that I can go and pick it up tommorrow mourning. unfortunately to quote my weather man "A super snow storm is approaching and will arrive late sunday and last through early monday. Then another storm is expected for wednesday." All together we are expecting nearly a foot and a half of snow which is an insane amount for where I live.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear u got it taken of. Its very possible the chip could have caused the problem. However...Anytime theres a discrepancy between the chip and computer, the Secruity should come on. Thats been my experience with that issue. If u get the chip wet or somethin the car wont start and the Security light comes on.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how is the car running for you? Was it just the key, or do you still have the same problem?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 PM
NKAWTG...N

sucks man, hope you can get it figured out. dealers do that. 2nd time looking for a 35th i found one in southern illinois, go down there, test drive it. over the phone dude said 100% perfect. no problems, i get down there, and the ses light is on. im like wtf! i drove 2 hours down and the ses light is on? how long has it been on? 3 months! wah! they've had the car for 3 months. they had it on some bs computer and said the computer couldn't understands the car or some bs (thanks silverghost for not letting me buy that car). good luck!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Dude that sucks. I don't know about the whole security thing though. On my 97 Z28 that I had one day one of the two wires that connects from the ignition module to the pcm broke and the car wouldn't start. The tell tale sign was that the security light on the dash was lit up.

Might want to look into that.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I dont think it was the key bob, when i had my '98 the spare key was a recut and the chip didnt match the one in the original key. WHen i would try to start the car with the spare key i would get nothing, car wouldn't even crank, i would get accessories, but that was it.. Your car was cranking, but not getting spark. I would have another talk with them before you take the car back...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have the lemon law in your state?I never buy cars from dealers.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:07 AM
Staging Lane

Both Kansas and Missouri have a lemon law. If you try and take the car back within 3 business days in either state, for a used car, you can do that. (used to live in KS had to do that once)
Old 01-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would investigate to see what the problem is. Start off by testing the battery, the starter, replace the plugs, wires, etc...