New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i found out my ss is a z28. help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so now get rid of those ugly black 35th annv dome stickers, and get the correct ss badging, and there you go, i still dont know why slp said what they said???
Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Yeah...I don't know why you still think it isn't an SS...it IS absolutely an SS, just whoever previously owned it, decided to take the original SS badges off, and stick those ones on...to me, it looks like a WICKED clean SS with some ugly mods...for one, take the air lid off, rotate the MAF sensor so it's straight (because it's slightly angled and looks shitty)...

If it were me, I'd get rid of those ugly fake badges and put some real SS badges on it in the correct places...or do no badges at all...get rid of the angel eye lights...I had a set of the black corner lenses like this car has, and liked how they looked, but they didn't last...if you are going to keep them, make the little white bulb sockets black with a little touch up paint so they don't stand out so bad...I'd also buy a set of black lugnuts to match the wheels, and re-do the calipers in black instead of red...and I'd ditch the AIR system under the hood, but you're in Cali so that might not be a good idea.
Why the hell would he do that? I swapped out mine for the SLP lid too! The Blackwing aint all that either flow-wise, before you mention it.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Teching In

well i'm not gonna change anything yet.. until i learn lol

but i will do the correct badging then.. where can i get some SS badges?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

The OP is full of it. I say ban him right now!

On a side note, what kind of wheels are those? There sick!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Why the hell would he do that? I swapped out mine for the SLP lid too! The Blackwing aint all that either flow-wise, before you mention it.
LOL I just meant temporarily...to fix the MAF sensor orientation...then put it back on.

I run the same lid, and I know that I need to put the MAF in a soft jaw vice to be able to rotate the lid on it at all...very tight fit, and looks HORRIBLE when the MAF is crooked.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
The OP is full of it. I say ban him right now!

On a side note, what kind of wheels are those? There sick!
what is OP? uhh idk. i think the rims are zr1's?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

im going to say its an ss as well that someone changed a few things on. painted top / badges.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roy92
C6 ZR1s.

OP = original poster.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

OP means original poster. You

I would call SLP one more time and tell them what GM told you. Ask them what they have to say about it and go from there. If GM built the car with SS intentions, then technically it is an SS from birth. Are the hood/spoiler OEM parts? Have you checked?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

I thought those were ZR1's. They look sick with the SS center caps.

Suggestions are always good but in the end the only thing that matters is your personal taste and how you feel about the way the car looks! Don't go pullin parts off and changing things just because it makes other people happy.

Now with that said, in my honest opinion, I think the car looks pretty good as it sits. The only thing I probably would change is the lights! The "Whistler" mod would look bad *** on that car! Other than that I think it looks pretty good.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Also I agree that the TT2s are overplayed.
That's a bad reason to not go with any wheel. LS1 F-bodies are overplayed on this site, maybe people should stop buying them and put LS1s into more unique cars?

And anyway, TT2s are not nearly as common on these cars as C4 ZR1s and C5 Z06s, yet those still look great too. I don't see very many F-bodies on the road these days, but 90% of the ones I do see have stock wheels, so anything aftermarket is going to stand out.

now i fell like getting rid of the car
I think this thread is pointless now, since someone already posted that the GM VIS shows the WU8 code for the car, meaning that it IS a real SS. So what's the problem?

Nope. That's not correct iirc. I'm sure SLP had some of 'em.
I think this was covered already, but absolutely NONE of the LS1 WS6s ever went to SLP. They were all done by ASC.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

i just want to thank everyone who helped me with my problem and those who posted and suggested tips. i got my answer from you guys. no more needs to be said. but again thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well I have heard something about the WS6 going from "in-house" to "SLP" or "SLP" to "in-house" at some point during its production. So if the WS6 could be taken over by GM (can't remember the year they did this switch) from SLP or vice versa, why not? So maybe?
Dude, seriously. Thats the most ridiculous and incorrect thing I have ever heard.

Nope. That's not correct iirc. I'm sure SLP had some of 'em.
We have established, you don't qualify to comment anymore in this thread pertaining to anything to do with SLP.

these are the only 2 stickers i found on the door

The top picture is the "extra content" sticker that was put on at the SLP factory. Not all SSs got this sticker, only the ones that got extra mods over and above the hood/spoiler/wheels. Bottom sticker is the standard SLP sticker that every SS got before leaving the SLP factory.

Originally Posted by SSmoken
cant it still be an ss even though its not an slp car? i thought starting in 2000 gm made the ss and only some of them went to slp?? i could be totally wrong but for some reason i thought that lol.
ALL SSs are SLP cars. Say it. All SSs are SLP cars. One more time for the hard headed. ALL SSs ARE SLP CARS.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Id call up SLP and give them your vin again for closure... either way its an SS so Congrats.... its a sharp one too. I just picked up mine with 10500 miles on it.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

No worries man. im sure your emotions have calmed down some. anyway, i dont think the car looks horrible. i like the hockey stripes, but im biased there. i would just remove the SS emblems, they dont belong-thats if you keep the hockey stripes. if you remove em all and put original SS badges on, that will be clean as **** brother. you can get the SS emblems straight from SLP im sure.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
ALL SSs are SLP cars. Say it. All SSs are SLP cars. One more time for the hard headed. ALL SSs ARE SLP CARS.
but why dont they all have slp stickers then?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
LOL! Now THAT is funny. This is a pledge we should make new members chant before they are allowed to join the site. 8 years after production ended, some people still refuse to understand/beleive this.

Anyway, that gave me a good laugh.

Originally Posted by ls1tech.fan
GM customer service (800#) can provide the true RPO's for this car and determine if the car indeed has the WU8 code.[/B]
I beleive that someone in this thread already ran the VIN through GM VIS, so that's been done. If the OP wants to do it again, any GM dealer can do that for him in person if he wants.

[B]Actually the shady dealer gave him the printout and its authenticity may be questionable.
I think the OP stated that his VIN matched that document, so regardless of where that piece of paper came from, the VIN that was checked was his.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

maybe this is correct:
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598893
The 98-02 SS's had the base SS options installed at the GM plant. Some got further optional SS equipment put on them and these are referred to as the SLP SS's. This doesn't make them any less of an SS, just not an SLP optioned SS. IMO this just means you can now mod with better aftermarket parts than SLP has.

So for the LS1 powered models, the WU8 code states that this is a factory SS. If you don't have the SLP build sticker on the door jamb then it isn't an SLP SS (uness some idiot removed it). IIRC they put theirs on the passenger side, but I'm not totally sure about that.
This is INCORRECT info.

Please, PLEASE listen to 01ssreda4. He already set the record straight.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

i read that article somewhere else a long time ago too.

it still doesnt tell my why some have an slp option door sticker and sme dont.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL! Now THAT is funny. This is a pledge we should make new members chant before they are allowed to join the site. 8 years after production ended, some people still refuse to understand/beleive this.

Anyway, that gave me a good laugh.

I beleive that someone in this thread already ran the VIN through GM VIS, so that's been done. If the OP wants to do it again, any GM dealer can do that for him in person if he wants.

I think the OP stated that his VIN matched that document, so regardless of where that piece of paper came from, the VIN that was checked was his.
But was the WU8 code confirmed with GM & the VIN?
The OP called SLP and they say its NOT an SS

Quick Reply: so i found out my ss is a z28. help?