New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hmmm.... Not sure what I should go with...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmmm.... Not sure what I should go with...

So I am tired of having that ginormous air cleaner/intake/air filter, whatever you wanna call it on the car. My SS isn't ever going to be a super camaro running 10s and 11s, but I do want it to sound good. The question that I have comes in with which intake box/cover/filter is better? I have noticed a good amount of suppliers that make airbox lids, others like K&N that make intake kits like their FIPK. So if I want something that looks good, sounds good, and helps out a little on performance, what should I go with? As far as exhaust goes, if anyone even cares, I have stock manifolds, Magnaflow High Flow California legal cats, 2.5" pipe to a fake flowmaster, then dual 2 1/4" pipe to a CME.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

SLPs lid is nice. take your pick. gains are all similar.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Really?? So the SLP and whisper style lids have the same gains as the K&N stlye??
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Launching!

bump...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Get an SLP lid and K&N, that'll be the best for a stock setup. people make big deals over the whisper / blackwing lids and all that. It's all the same, but you're only going to marginally improve you breathing beyond that. Unless you upgrade your MAF, T/B, Intake & Heads.

They're really isnt much of an improvement with the Ram-Aim hood either.

Exhaust looks fine to me, I'd leave it alone short of L/T headers. I love my Magnaflow setup.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I was on another thread and they were talking about how bad flowmasters rob power, so I might be moving over to a LM1 or LM2 here in the near future.

I already have the functional ram air hood, I wont be doing any of the super F-Body mods (h/c/i/ an so on) as I call them. Just subtle mods, kinda like you have, only mine is an M6. I already added the Hurst shifter and shift skip eliminator.

I was thinking about going with the polished lid too. Have you heard anything on those? I already have a K&N drop in, so would the SLP CAI Kit be the best "Bang for my Buck?" since I plan on keeping the car VERY mild.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a lid you can have $50 + shipping. I can get you some pics. Don't know what kind it is. Kinda looks like the the old LS1 motorsports direct flow with no logo...I had get a bigger one when I went to a 100mm maf...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

interested. Could you send a pic? PM me for my email.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lid is a lid is a lid.any will suffice and $50+ shipping is a good price id leave the loudmouth off though, raspy as hell. Magnaflow has a real nice tone IMO. Check out ls1sounds.com for more exhaust clips.

Also, your hood isn't a functional ram air hood because it doesn't feed the intake tract. The lt1 ss and ws6s are functional, but neither of the ls1 "ram air" hoods are, even debaffled. Just a bit of fyi.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WSsick
Also, your hood isn't a functional ram air hood because it doesn't feed the intake tract. The lt1 ss and ws6s are functional, but neither of the ls1 "ram air" hoods are, even debaffled. Just a bit of fyi.
If it's an SS hood, it's functional. The scoop channels the air forward back to the intake.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

In any case...

polished lid? I'm not quite sure what that's even suppose to mean. The SLP lids have a smooth inside surface which help the flow alot better then the stock box.

I don't really have a good opinion about how the Camaro breathes. I know my bird breathes just fine because the way the intake is designed basically already gives it a CAI and spending anymore past an SLP lid and K&N seems like a waste. But for a Camaro it may be worth it.

Also I didn't notice you listed you muffler as a fake flowmaster. If you really want to replace that, most everyone will suggest Magnaflow or Hooker. I went with Magnaflow, no regrets.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Launching!

I have dual magnaflows on my 68 C10, they sound pretty good, but not exactly what I'm looking for on my Camaro.

Polished lids are all over ebay. I'll post up a link here in a bit.

i don't understand why the SS hood isn't functional? It has the induction tube (i guess that's a good enough name for it) from the hole in the hood to the front on the hood underneith.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh40601
I have dual magnaflows on my 68 C10, they sound pretty good, but not exactly what I'm looking for on my Camaro.

Polished lids are all over ebay. I'll post up a link here in a bit.

i don't understand why the SS hood isn't functional? It has the induction tube (i guess that's a good enough name for it) from the hole in the hood to the front on the hood underneith.
The magnaflow on my T/A sounds really good, but I have an ORY, no CATS. It really roars when the revs get up there. I've also got slotted resonator tips, which keeps the exhaust from going "flap flap flap" when the revs suddenly drop off.

do post that link though, I couldnt find it on ebay.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I was on another thread and they were talking about how bad flowmasters rob power, so I might be moving over to a LM1 or LM2 here in the near future.

I already have the functional ram air hood, I wont be doing any of the super F-Body mods (h/c/i/ an so on) as I call them. Just subtle mods, kinda like you have, only mine is an M6. I already added the Hurst shifter and shift skip eliminator.

I was thinking about going with the polished lid too. Have you heard anything on those? I already have a K&N drop in, so would the SLP CAI Kit be the best "Bang for my Buck?" since I plan on keeping the car VERY mild.
flowmaster robs about 3-5 hp compared to all the other catbacks lol. you got to watch out for all the internet myths out there. Hell a guy posted in the dyno section a couple months back that he only picked up a few hp with the cut out open vs closed w/ the fm cat back. The setup was a eps cammed stock ls6 puttin down 430whp thru a a4!!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
The magnaflow on my T/A sounds really good, but I have an ORY, no CATS. It really roars when the revs get up there. I've also got slotted resonator tips, which keeps the exhaust from going "flap flap flap" when the revs suddenly drop off.
Now see, I love that sound. Not the cackly crap from glasspacks, and the camaro with the flat tips is the only vehicle that makes it sound good, but man I love that.

My 68 is stock manifolds, then true dual 2.75" pipe to twin magnaflows, then to magnaflow's stainless steel flat tips. Sounds good when you get down on it, but i dunno, really liking that LM1 and LM2 muffler. nice throaty roar and a little flap, flap.

Originally Posted by zachrywd_01TA
do post that link though, I couldnt find it on ebay.
There ya are sir!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item23055c4581
Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
eps cammed stock ls6 puttin down 430whp thru a a4!!
i have no idea what the hell you are talking about..... Well, other than some LS6 has 430 rwhp
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have no idea what the hell you are talking about..... Well, other than some LS6 has 430 rwhp
You said you herd flowmaster robs power, correct? I said you have to watch out for all the internet myths. A guy with a cammed ls6 put down 430 whp thru the flowmaster catback. He opened up the cutout to gain 4hp. Make sense? Point is the flowmaster catback is not nearly is bad as some make it out to be...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Launching!

ahhhh. Now i understand. Still getting used to the acronyms.

Ill post a link to that thread I was gonig through about exhaust, they were saying Magnaflow and Dynamax were the best for performance. I don't think I can run LM's without redoing the whole system, the same with any bullet style. I need a 3" inlet, and dual 3" outlets to run my CME without redoing it
Old 10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...st-s-long.html
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

ahhhh. Now i understand. Still getting used to the acronyms.

Ill post a link to that thread I was gonig through about exhaust, they were saying Magnaflow and Dynamax were the best for performance.
They are but only by a couple hp is my point... Is it worth buying a whole new exhaust setup for a few hp?? I have read tons of threads about exhaust comparisons over the years and Im tellin ya its a 5hp difference on average between the best and worst catback out there. Same goes for air lids... a lid is a lid, pick one. Slp is popular because they fit well. Direct flow actually showed the best gains but they are no longer available, and the gains were a couple hp at best... see where Im getting at?

Quick Reply: hmmm.... Not sure what I should go with...