Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrolocking issue

Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolocking issue

Mods, can you sticky this please!!

Recently I had mine hydrolock due to water dripping on top of my intake manifold and somehow getting into the engine and destroying it. I would just rule this out as one random bout of bad luck. But I've been floating around the forum for a little while and I have found at least 3 other threads with people having the same exact problem. I figure I could have avoided an entire engine replacement if I had seen a thread about the leaky cowling.
Just putting this out there.. modify/move it how ever you want
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is extremely unlikely that water on top of the motor
is the cause of water in the cylinders. More like, just
the remaining evidence of a big splash that got sucked
up through the intake path as well.

If there was a significant hole in the top of the intake
you would know about it.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^This!!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

it was parked in the driveway on a clear night. Was running strong when I parked it. It rained 4 hrs before I tried to start it. The only part under the hood that was wet was the right side of the intake manifold. Filter was dry, throttle body was dry, maf was dry. Only one cylinder hydrolocked #8, which is on the pass side at the rear of the engine..
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

not sure how your car could of been running strong if thats the case... I mean if your intake leaked water from the top then you have/had one hell of a vaccuum leak!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
not sure how your car could of been running strong if thats the case... I mean if your intake leaked water from the top then you have/had one hell of a vaccuum leak!
Agreed.

This is not sticky worthy. There is no "common" problem with LS1s hydrolocking due to sitting in the rain. Thousands of people here even wash their engine bays (myself included) without issue.

Obviously, something happened to your engine. It's not a design flaw though, otherwise this problem would be as common as broken power window motors.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Was your engine warm when you pressure washed it?
I believe that was discussed in one of these posts..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...yesterday.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...op-engine.html
Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by destroyer1362
Was your engine warm when you pressure washed it?
I believe that was discussed in one of these posts..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...yesterday.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...op-engine.html
Doesn't really matter if it's warm or cold in this case. If there was enough of a gap to allow enough water to leak in and cause hydrolock, you would have had a MASSIVE vacuum leak - even if you couldn't hear it, the car would be idling way, way high and running funny. To somehow have a massive vacuum line/intake gasket failure in the hours you shut the engine off and restarted it is just about impossible.

Given that, how did you determine that the engine hydrolocked for sure? Could have been a bad bearing that coincidentally **** out right then.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element

Given that, how did you determine that the engine hydrolocked for sure? Could have been a bad bearing that coincidentally **** out right then.
I agree. You're problem lies elsewhere.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Element
I pulled the intake manifold, #8 port had some water (not coolant) inside it. After I got the intake out I discovered it too had water in it. There were no loose vac or sensor connections at the back of the manifold, no cracks either. The night before my idle was smooth and not high. The power was the same as it was before, it easily broke lose on pavement at 45mph or less. I never went above 2k before it was at operating temp.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by destroyer1362
I pulled the intake manifold, #8 port had some water (not coolant) inside it. After I got the intake out I discovered it too had water in it. There were no loose vac or sensor connections at the back of the manifold, no cracks either. The night before my idle was smooth and not high. The power was the same as it was before, it easily broke lose on pavement at 45mph or less. I never went above 2k before it was at operating temp.
If there were no loose connections or cracks, and the engine ran perfect before shut down, then how do you suggest that rain water got in after the engine was shut down? I'm not understanding this at all.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what if it possibly got around the injector 0-ring. but then again he did say that there was water inside the intake manifold.......hmmmm
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

I don't get it either. I even checked to see if the coolant line running through the TB was the culprit. Unless it somehow squirted past the intake valve and up into the intake. I seriously doubt it cracked the valve, and I'm even more doubtful that, that much water could get back into the intake that way. I already put it back together so I could get an estimate from my insurance. So it will be a little while before I can pull it again to look at the heads.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

IIRC, there is a possibility that water leaked through the fuel injector housing. Based on what I read, the rubber gasket around the fuel injector number 8 can get dry and cracked, thus allowing water to go in.

I am just re-stating what I read a few weeks ago.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tmdz28
IIRC, there is a possibility that water leaked through the fuel injector housing. Based on what I read, the rubber gasket around the fuel injector number 8 can get dry and cracked, thus allowing water to go in.

I am just re-stating what I read a few weeks ago.
If thats the case he would of still had a vaccuum leak prior. If the leak is letting in water, than it sure as hell is leaking unmetered air... Wich would result in surging, high idle, or a miss fire. The car would not run perfect, then just randomly hydrolock after sitting in the rain lol. Were missing a piece to the puzzle!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
If thats the case he would of still had a vaccuum leak prior. If the leak is letting in water, than it sure as hell is leaking unmetered air... Wich would result in surging, high idle, or a miss fire. The car would not run perfect, then just randomly hydrolock after sitting in the rain lol. Were missing a piece to the puzzle!
And I agree with you.

BTW, i like your wheels!!! what brands are those and how much?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks! They are 17x9/17x10.5 american racing TTM anthracite. I think they are around 600-700 new...
Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Heres how it ran 300mi before the destruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZiJuvggOk
Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just how much water would be enough to hydrolock a motor, anyway?

Search this Thread