Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swaping T tops internals ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swaping T tops internals ?

is there any way to swap key holes from one t top to another ? like if I got replacement ones ? I would just like to keep one key for everything
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This is super simple. You take the two phillips head screws out of the ends of the plastic. Pop the trim panel off. This exposes the lock and the rod assembly. I believe the lock has to be in the unlock position with the rods retracted (like the t top is when its pull out) and use a flat head to push the one clip holding the lock in place. Its a U shape clip so you will push it and make it slide off. The lock will come right out in your hand. Then install it into whatever t top you want it in.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive done it before, not hard at all.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the glove box lock ? Like if I wanted to get a new glove box could I change the locking mechanism ?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysan
What about the glove box lock ? Like if I wanted to get a new glove box could I change the locking mechanism ?
Yep, it can be changed out too. Just as easy as the T-Tops.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Is the key to the glove box and t-tops the same as the door key? I never got a door key when i got my car (original owner lost it, just used keyfob) but didn't want to take my door apart for the locksmith to use the lock on the door to create a key. If it's the same key, i'll just pop the glove box open for a day while he creates the key for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Myrdhyn
Is the key to the glove box and t-tops the same as the door key? I never got a door key when i got my car (original owner lost it, just used keyfob) but didn't want to take my door apart for the locksmith to use the lock on the door to create a key. If it's the same key, i'll just pop the glove box open for a day while he creates the key for me.
From the factory the glove box key should be the same as the door key, trunk key, and T-Tops key. All are one.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I was thinking, and how every two-key GM car I've ever owned has been. Just wanted to double check before wasting money and time. Probably should finally quit putting off getting that key made after a year and a half of having the car