Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total LS1 newb...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Total LS1 newb...help!

Ok...I got what I think is a good deal on a LS1 out of a wrecked 2000 Z28. I have been shopping around for a car for my son and I to work on together when I came across this....$500! It has 140000 on it but I figured "what the heck, its worth almost that in scrap aluminum!" So here is my problem.....I have limited experience in the mechanical field. I love all the tinkering...basic stuff like replacing a heater core (done), replace wheel bearings, brakes, tune up, etc...simple stuff. I had a perfect opportunity to learn when I was 15 and my dad and I (well...kind of) built a a 73 LTZ. (damn wish I still had that! lol) But of course...girls where much more fun to look at....so now I am wanting to do for my son what my dad did for me.

I plan to test the compression before I attempt to tear it down....any suggestions otherwise? Also I need to know where the ecm is located on the car so I can pull it too.

So basically if anyone feels pity for a true NEWB , all tips, hints, info, constructive laughter/criticism is welcome!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Did you buy an engine or the whole car? I'm a little confused by your post.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Sorry...was kind of rambling...just the engine....
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Before you do anything I would research what it takes to reuse the block for a rebuild. I'm not sure how rebuilders deal with refurbishing the cylinders on the aluminum LS1 engine.

What kind of car are you going to put it in? Engine swaps are cool.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when it comes time for a ls1 rebuild ,you hone them out .010.the ECM is located on the back of the right fender .do a compression or leak down test.the ls1 is a good high mileage motor if it was some what taken cared of,regular oil changes.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got a pretty good deal if the block is good. I sold the bare block out of my car for $500...
Old 11-20-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

great deal in my opinion. Get this book...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-LS...1825347&sr=8-1

and get a swap vehicle that is pretty straight forward and has been done many times so you can talk to others that have done it. If you are motivated and have the cash you don't have to know a whole lot, just how to turn a wrench but more importantly how to research everything you're going to be doing. It's gonna take a lot of internet and book reading, realize that everything people tell you online isn't always correct. This site is your best bet for technical advice about the engine and that book will be great to guide you through your teardown and build.

Good swap vehicles include third gen camaros/firebirds, S10 truck, any chevelle, camaro, nova (stay away from chevy II novas) or similar is a great base for an LSx setup. good luck man!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the responses!

I am planning on putting it in a 94-97 camaro/Z. I need to get an ecm for it and a new wiring harness. What can I expect to pay for those? Also any suggestions as far as a tranny? Auto and manual. Ultimately this is going to be for my son so I'm thinking automatic.

Pulled the plugs last night and they all looked good. Doing a compression test tonight.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

While the motor is out of the car id replace the intake with an ls6 intake. O.s.u. on our cars can be a hasle. Also look into some coil relocators for a clean look
Looks like you got a good deal, goodluck with the swap. One more thing go with some poly motor mounts when your droping it in, less headace down the road
Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Ok...my son and I completed the compression test. Keep in mind we had to perform it by using a ratchet on the front crank pulley. Obviously not the best way...We got each cylinder at 80psi. I assume the consitency is more important when doing it by hand......wheres the motrin????! lol
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I'm not sure how rebuilders deal with refurbishing the cylinders on the aluminum LS1 engine.
Same way they do it for every other engine. Since the motors have steel sleeves in the cylinders, the machine work is identical.