Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a good opinion

Down to business. I have a 98 Trans Am 110k on the car. visually sucks ***. Drives great, lowered, long tube headers, rebuilt trans with a shift kit, K&N air box. (bought it as is, I lowered it however) Car started to loose oil pressure recently, very annoyed. when it gets warm it'll lose oil pressure. Thinking it's the Oil pump. No leaks, smoke or loud sounds. Thinking of getting a cam, lifters and timing belt along with the oil pump. I would get it done at a shop. hoping to get it tested out to check for sure within the next 1 1/2 months. Low on cash. Car needs new tail lights, left light assembly, hood, fender, leather seats or upholstery refinished, interior panels, bushings for the front suspension, dash pad, center console, adjustable pan hard bar, this is to get it tip top shape for the most part. Show car status. I bought the car for 3k LS1 powered beast. Now my question is. If I spend the time and money into the motor then cosmetics will it be worth it or should I run this car to the ground and get one with less miles.

Build this one up from what I can get, Motor rebuilt and everything. or buy a newer one with less miles then worry about the same problems later down the road? Kind of stuck on this the last few days. income tax coming up and I want to cam this car out and get it painted.

An good opinions?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I would say 110 isn't bad its about average for that year. I would say get started on it and bring that beast up to your standards.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

110,xxx isn't that high. I say build the car the way you want it, run her til she blow and drop a stroker in it
Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheapest easiest way that will give you good insight, before putting anything else into the motor or body, is do an oil change and use a 15w-40 oil.

It is not uncommon for an engine to have 20 psi or slightly lower at idle when hot when using 5w-30 oil. And the oil can get quite hot depending on outside air temp. If it jumps up to 40 psi over 2500 rpm then i wouldn't conclude there is a bearing clearance or oil pump problem. do an oil change to 15w-40 and see what kind of pressure difference you have at idle when hot, if it's remarkably better then that's a good indication there is not an oil related problem. But if it doesn't help at all, and you're only getting 30-40 psi at high rpm even when cold then i would be weary of dumping money into the car unless you plan on tearing into the lower end of the motor.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SmokinAce
110,xxx isn't that high. I say build the car the way you want it, run her til she blow and drop a stroker in it
This is what I'm doing!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its worth it if you like your car enough. ive dumped a ton into my SS but i like it and will keep it a long time.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the little amount of money you paid id start building it again. start with engine trany then work your way to visual. but first calculate how much will it cost you and see if you can afford it or not. good luck.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at the TSP website for a cam pkg.