Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a cam that sounds like the ms4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking for a cam that sounds like the ms4

i am looking for a cam with the sound of the ms4 but i am not sure that i want that big of a lift it is going in a stock ls6 but i plan on doing heads injectors intake and throttle body later i have 1 3/4 header a t56 magnum and 411 gear what cam do you guys think that i would wand and the car will not be add thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, really? The LS1 community is getting pathetic. You want a cam for sound? Lift isn't really what you need to worry about, as logn as your springs are up to snuff. The big duration is what can make it a bad mannered car...but a good tuner can fix that.

The choppy idle, and power, comes from the overlap of a cam. Duration, LSA, and idle rpm determine how a cam idles, but you should really be more concerned with how it performs...

Call a sponsor, tell them what you want, and they will spec you out a custom cam to suit your needs. Don't just throw parts together, put together a great combo.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If your looking for a cam just for sound, theres a good chance that you will be disappointed in the way the car feels & runs.

You need to choose a cam for your particular application and what the car is used for.
As to your question, if you want a cam that sounds like the MS4...why not just buy a MS4?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
If your looking for a cam just for sound, theres a good chance that you will be disappointed in the way the car feels & runs.

You need to choose a cam for your particular application and what the car is used for.
As to your question, if you want a cam that sounds like the MS4...why not just buy a MS4?
You beat me to it.

Op, Look at the Trex. It has the sound you are looking for, as well as the power (best of both worlds ) Plus, the lift is .608/.610 if I remember correctly.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the trex is a good choice,or consider getting a custom cam ground to meet you needs.also look at a TSP torquer v.2 with a 112*lsa.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KevinR
You beat me to it.

Op, Look at the Trex. It has the sound you are looking for, as well as the power (best of both worlds ) Plus, the lift is .608/.610 if I remember correctly.
There's no point in getting a TRex instead of an MS4, both will produce similar numbers with similar drivability.

Like I said before, lift doesn't play a roll in how a car idles or drives so I don't know why you would base a cam choice off lift, that's just funny.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Check out the MS3! It has all the overlap you want, like the MS4, but with less lift!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Comp cams thumpr series.

Lame as all get out but at least maybe your car won't be a dog with one of those. Sound mean with a smaller cam.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Comp cams thumpr series.

Lame as all get out but at least maybe your car won't be a dog with one of those. Sound mean with a smaller cam.
Not entirely true....mean idle = overlap. To sound like the MS4, you need overlap, and that much overlap is not meant for stock vehicles (stock compression and more)....when put on basically stock vehicles, you tend to see videos of 224 cams dragging the big cam car down the track. But at least they sound cool.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Not entirely true....mean idle = overlap. To sound like the MS4, you need overlap, and that much overlap is not meant for stock vehicles (stock compression and more)....when put on basically stock vehicles, you tend to see videos of 224 cams dragging the big cam car down the track. But at least they sound cool.
Think you misunderstood me, that was the same point I was making.

The thumpr cams are small but designed with a lot of overlap to lope. A car with one of those will likely be much less of a dog than a thrown together car with a huge cam but stock stall/gears/etc.

I'm sure you guys could spec him a similar cam.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No, that much overlap still has to have that stuff to run properly. They do it with a smaller intake duration, more exhaust duration, and a tighter LSA....but if it has the overlap the Magic Sticks do (they have to have that overlap to sound the same), then they'll still run pretty much the same (yes there is a slight difference) without the mods.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
There's no point in getting a TRex instead of an MS4, both will produce similar numbers with similar drivability.

Like I said before, lift doesn't play a roll in how a car idles or drives so I don't know why you would base a cam choice off lift, that's just funny.
I think he was a little worried about wearing his valve springs out?? I could be wrong though.

Last edited by KevinR; 01-25-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KevinR
I think he was a little worried about wearing his valve springs out?? I could be wrong though.
I don't know about that, but even if he was he should be more worried about which lobe(s) the cam is ground on, rather than the lift numbers.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

This Thread =
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
I don't know about that, but even if he was he should be more worried about which lobe(s) the cam is ground on, rather than the lift numbers.
Easy man, that may be too much for the OP. Remember, it's the sound that matters..

And I'm done.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I agree with fccs
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Teching In

i guess i screwed up by explaning that i just wanted a cam for just the sound i want one that sounds like that but i dont want to worry about missing a gear and putting a valve into the piston and trashing my new engine what i wanted to know is what cam would you guys recommend that that i would not put a valve through a piston and have the same hp gains at a lower rpm
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrislo
i guess i screwed up by explaning that i just wanted a cam for just the sound i want one that sounds like that but i dont want to worry about missing a gear and putting a valve into the piston and trashing my new engine what i wanted to know is what cam would you guys recommend that that i would not put a valve through a piston and have the same hp gains at a lower rpm
If you're looking for more power at a lower RPM, I wouldn't get one with that kind of overlap. There are smaller cams that look like they'd do what you want, but then you might not get the sound you want....I guess I don't understand that part....you want it to sound big but not be a big cam?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html

Read this, it'll give you an idea about what cam profiles actually do.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

OP, check out the Torquer V3.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

DM