Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake/Heads/Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake/Heads/Throttle Body

Hey guys, I have a 98 T.A. Ive been driving it pretty much stock for 3 years now. Low mile car(41000). I have lowered it, put on SFC's, strut tower brace, wheels and cat back. I have ordered/sitting in the garage waiting, LT headers, Cat-eliminating Y-pipe, short throw shifter, cross-drilled/slotted rotors, a SLP lid, and a SLP MAF.
I have heard good things about switching over to the LS6 intake as is on the 01-02 LS1's. I have also heard there can be significant HP gain switching to LS6/7 Heads. I would like to know what you more experienced guys have to say about these ideas. I basically want to keep up with the newer cars coming out. At some point I would like to do a rear mount turbo system, and maybe a cam. I guess I just want to know whats reccomended for good HP gain, at a reasonable budget. Thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

going FI is different from going NA but id check out AFR or trick flow as far as heads go.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS7 heads don't work on LS1s. LS6 heads will though, and the LS6 intake is a good mod. I picked up 4mph from that and a tune in the 1/4 mile.

Honestly, if you are doing heads you might as well do a cam to get the most out of them.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about forced induction. A good budget set up that is popular on this site is the 228r 112-114lsa cam with stage one prc heads, (i believe these are pretty much ported LS6 heads).

The set up runs about $1900 for the heads/cam/springs/pushrods/timing chain/and ported ls6 oil pump.

With full bolt ons like you are doing and just the cam most guys are running around 390rwhp. I've read a few threads where guys with this set up also added some basic budget heads like the stage one prc's and gained another 30rwhp with another dyno tune. Would probably put you around 420ish rwhp or almost 500hp at the motor. Very decent set up with good street manners for a daily driver.

Also, I always hear stories of guys on tech getting heads and cam and then stretching a rod bolt and spining a bearing or throwing a rod through their block so if you did heads and cam I would spend the $70 for Katech or arp rod bolts for insurance. Rather spend a few hours doing rod bolts then spin a bearing or put a rod through my block.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Also while Im asking for advice, My Clutch is starting to slip under hard launches. Im sure it has something to do with the high RPM Burnouts and whatnot!! What kind of clutch should I replace it with when it does go? Can I get away with just replacing the cluch disc? Should I go with a performance clutch, or just replace it with oem? I do tend to drive it hard. I dont put alot of miles on her, but when I do, I enjoy every one of em!! thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monster Stage 3 or Diamond, not sure what stage for diamond. Do a search and research some threads, you will be able to make a decision on which one to get.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it actually slipping or is it sticking? My stock clutch is fine, but the master cylinder blows. If you are doing a clutch swap, you might as well do the Tick master as well while you are in there.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Teching In

It only seems to be slipping at high rpm dumps. If I let it engage in a conservative manner, then punch it when its fully out, It goes just like she should. However, when I rev it up and let it rip(Mainly to smoke em at the local parts shop parking lot!!) It was a lot of noise, no wheel spin, and lots of stinky clutch. Its the stock clutch, and Im sure its good and worn down. I have done quite a few high rpm launches, and burnouts over the past couple years. Never had a problem till the last two times I took her out. May have to do with the weather a bit. Im not sure. It was cold both times(which would make me think the wheels would break loose easier). The first time I noticed, I was racing a 98 Stang, I beat him still, but not like I should've. It just took of slow, and the smell was there. Then last weekend, we got some beautiful weather, and I took it to O'reileys to get some parts for my pickup. Thats where the embarassing No tire smoke/clutch meltdown took place.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look into getting some stock 243 heads($400) also to go with the ls6 intake($300).maybe consider a TSP torquer v2 cam pkg,or look at a streetsweeper cam.look at the TSP website to get a idea of what you mite need.