Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my new T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my new T/A

Hey all, today I just got my first f-body. I originally wanted a camaro, but chose the more aggressive styling of the t/a. I am in Iraq right now, and had my Dad back in the states complete the transaction for me. Paid cash for it, and I couldn'y be happier. I just can't wait to get back to the states in March and enjoy this thing. Tell me what you all think of the deal, and what is the first mod you would make? Thanks a lot!

'98 Trans AM 2dr coupe automatic blue 68K, excel cond. $8850

of course it had t-tops, leather, it was an a4, dark blue, and in great condition.

Here is what my father had to say:
"Here it is. I took it for a test drive this morning. At slow speeds the right rear wheel roars. They said it was just a bad tire but when I looked at it I noticed that the right rear tire was worn more than the other three (you can see this in the pics). The only other thing is some light scratches in the paint. The ac, pwr mirrors, pwr seats, radio, breaks, wipers, cruise control, hood latch, pwr rear hatch latch, blinkers, lights, etc... worked well. It has a rough and bumpy ride to it, which I think, is normal but it might need struts or shocks.

Anyway, I told them I was ready to buy but I don't want to take a chance on the rear wheel. We called a mechanic who siad it shouldn't cost more than $300 to fix. The owner said he would have it fixed by tomorrow."
Old 02-18-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

$8850 sounds very reasonable. Especially if the noise will be taken care of. Probably just a worn bearing...

As for mods, read on these pages and you'll come up with many similar questions, so just pick what ever suits your wants/needs.

Good luck!

TS
Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like a good deal if they repair whats wrong, as for first mods. You can take a few different routes you can do headers, ASP pulley, cam, or an intake. It all depends on what you want.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats
Old 02-18-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Nice price.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I take it this is a LS1- as you called it a T/A. but sounds like a V6 guy that did to many burnouts without the posi. (right rear wheel tore up.) maybe he treated it like shat.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually it was a girl that owned the car. Her father bought it off the lot, and she had it since. I seriously doubt it was treated like ****, seeing as how her father is a car enthusiast.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am a car enthusiast...
from time to time my back tires have been reduced to pillars of smoke...
being a car enthusiast means it was maintained well ... not that it was wasn't abused
Old 02-19-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just have a hard time believing that I man in his mid 50s enjoyed constantly burning out like someone in their 20s or under. that's just me though....
Old 02-20-2004, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

uh oh .... that means i am going to have to stop doing burnouts soon...

i wonder if ligenfilter ever got tired of burnouts?
how old is john force.. mario andretti?

hmm.... just wondering
Old 02-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Dude people in there 50's no more about burning there tires then we ever will they invented the crap and most 50 year old car enthusiest are just really old teenagers unless they are the one's that own all the slow cars ever built .

Not much else to say besides
Old 02-20-2004, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an email exerpt from my dad:

"WOW! What a machine. This is a nice car but I'm afraid it is too much power for you. Really, with your driving record I might as well put a gun in your hand because this car can get away from you quick. I wasn't able to get-on-it yesterday because they were riding with me and to tell you the truth I was a little leery of the right rear wheel. But today, Oh man! I punched it and the car just kept giving and giving and giving........ It's not hard to tell this car was driven by a girl for 6 years. Sweet ride, and 99.48% of the bumpiness is gone.

The problem ended up being the rear axle and it cost him over $500 to get it fixed. What a deal."

Hmm interesting he brought up the same comment in such a confirming, yet unbeknownst format. You usually give new people this much ****, because quite frankly, it doesn't impress me, nor does it reflect well on this site. Let's say the the car had possibly been abused. Why, when everyone else is congratulating me, does this guy come in and basically tell me "oh well that car is beat to ****." Doesn't seem to welcoming to me. And posi...l yeah good call.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

little touchy aren't we?
you asked for help and opinions... you got them...
the guy that told you it COULD be the posi said so because it has been known to happen.
your aweful quik to pounce for a noobe...

so since you wanna be an *** when ppl were just trying to help ya ... then tell me this...
how did a perfectly good axle get torn to hell if it wasn't beat on??
or maybe not taken care of??
you tell me?
my 97 has 97k on the odomiter ... no axle probs here(and i drive it hard)
45k on my ls1....
no probs there...

so you think the axle just falls apart for no reason???
word to the wise ... think b4 speaking...
axles die for 4 reasons....

1. they have been beat on so dam much that they break)
2. it has not been taken care of fluids not changed ect ect ect...
3. its been in a wreck(did you car fax it?)
4. factory defect...(it would have never made it past 10k miles)

hey you ask a ? here you might not always get what you want to hear, but it will be given to you as strait as we can give it...
if you wanted nothing but congrats you should have said...
i got my first f body... its perfect...
Old 02-20-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I'm touchy. You would be too if you were in a hell-hole that goes by the name of Iraq. Too quick to pounce for a newbie, huh? Well I'm sorry, but I hardly buy into this improvised caste system, as the military has enough rank for me. So on that note, yeah I guess I'm relatively quick to pounce. I didn't mean to portray myself as an *******, but it was a reaction to an intelligent perception of the situation. Think about it; why would I be beligerent for absolutely no reason? That question answers itself. And another thing, axles can be damaged for numerous reasons. If one hits a pothole just right and it will damage your axle. It's happened to me before and I wasn't even going excessively fast! And just to humour me, where did you get the 10k miles on a factory defect from? Is that a researched fact, or a lipped opinion? I like how that comment was right next to "think b4 speaking..."

I asked a question, so I should expect a straight answer, correct? Well that's great, but my question had nothing to do with that problem. My question had to do with what people thought of the deal I received, and what are some good first mods (the age old question). Oh, and I also pride myself in honesty, so I wouldn't lie about it being perfect, but nice suggestion. So, in conclusion, I don't mean to come off as arogant or even like an *******; but I do hope you can understand why I am quick to defend myself, and also what I meant by my question and responses. Thanks a lot for trying to clear things up.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like a good deal to me. Get a Lid 1st, best 1st newbie mod. and hope U come home safe from Crazy Iraq. and when U get to the states just "Eat More Rice"
Old 02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks for the thought! It's always nice to hear that people back home (other than friends and family of course) wish me well over here. I do appreciate it. So does a lid provide moderately decent gains for the price?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Best Bang for the Buck. There are lot of threads showing the gains by just using the lid, match that up with exhaust and your good to go.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

How about a torque converter. I hear that's a very effective mod. Also get sub frame connectors if the car doesen't already have them. Oh, and thanks
Old 02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Best Bang for the Buck.
Next to a cutout, maybe...

TS
Old 02-20-2004, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like you got a great deal. Just bought my 98TA last week on Monday. Paid $8,000 with 82,000 miles on it. My 98 Trans Am is stock, color red, T-tops, leather seats, A4, awesome car! Fell in love with it the first time I layed my eyes on it. Took it to the track yesterday and ran a 13.589 at 103 mph.

Good Luck on your Trans Am!!!!!!