Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

louder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default louder exhaust

hi everyone here at ls1tech! I know you guys know a lot about these cars and well I really don't. I just replaced my stock muffler with a flowmaster one and while it does sound better, I would still like it to be louder. I don't want to have to get rid of that muffler, but how could I make it quite abit louder. I hear LT headers are supposed to? Also I want some aftermarket tips on it. How much would those cost average to be welded on?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had lt 3inch y with my flowmaster. It was loud and a good tone. Do it
Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sladester2
hi everyone here at ls1tech! I know you guys know a lot about these cars and well I really don't. I just replaced my stock muffler with a flowmaster one and while it does sound better, I would still like it to be louder. I don't want to have to get rid of that muffler, but how could I make it quite abit louder. I hear LT headers are supposed to? Also I want some aftermarket tips on it. How much would those cost average to be welded on?
You have a few options.

You should at least get a full 3" catback. The loudest would be Long tubes, Off road Y pipe, and a loudmouth 1 catback.

If you MUST keep the flowmaster I would do LT headers, ORY with a cut out in the I pipe. The 80 series flowmasters dont flow well but the cut out would by pass the muffler so it really wouldnt matter. With the cut out open it will be MUCH louder.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Teching In

If you want loud get long tubes with waither hallowed out cats or off road y pipe and slp loudmouth 1. That's the setup I have on my 02 Ta ws6.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,197 Posts

You can gut/remove the cats to increase volume, and/or get a cutout (as suggested above). Neither of these things would require changing the muffler again.

Headers could also be added, but that's a significant additional expense that you may or may not be ready for. Gutting the cats is free, and a cutout is about $30....only other costs would be welding (which would vary from shop to shop).
Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Cutout, as for gutting the cats I wouldn't do it. I did it in my old 97 LT1 and it sounded like **** afterwards, plus you really wont gain anything
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

so u say do the cut out but don't gut? is the cut out legal in every state?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

louder will get you more tickets.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

No cut outs are illegal in alot of states if they do a visual. If you gut the cats you will throw a code and the check engine light will come on.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I see nothing wrong with gutting cats. I've done this on several cars over the years, I never thought it sounded bad. Matter of opinion I guess. Cats give a car a more modern exhaust note, some people prefer that.... I do not.

As for what is or is not legal, none of this stuff is legal according to federal emissions laws. But all that really matters is what sort of inspection tests you have in your state, and what you can get away with. If all you have is a OBD scan test (which is becoming more and more common in many states), or no test at all, then you can easily gut the cats/run an ORY and/or have a cutout and still pass (with proper tuning/O2 sims). If you have a visual and/or sniff inspection, then cat removal won't work.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I see nothing wrong with gutting cats. I've done this on several cars over the years, I never thought it sounded bad. Matter of opinion I guess. Cats give a car a more modern exhaust note, some people prefer that.... I do not.
I think when my cats go I am going to see how long I can put up with the off road y until it starts to annoy me and everyone in my town.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I think when my cats go I am going to see how long I can put up with the off road y until it starts to annoy me and everyone in my town.
Seeing that you have a LM1, it will sound pretty raw. I like a catless system, but it needs some sort of muffler IMO. The LM1 resonator isn't enough once you remove the cats.

A good quality Y-merge (or better yet, true duals), combined with the right muffler(s), or muffler & resonator combo, will make a catless system sound great.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Seeing that you have a LM1, it will sound pretty raw. I like a catless system, but it needs some sort of muffler IMO. The LM1 resonator isn't enough once you remove the cats.

A good quality Y-merge (or better yet, true duals), combined with the right muffler(s), or muffler & resonator combo, will make a catless system sound great.
I wonder how a true dual X system would sound with no cats and lm1 resonators. I bet it would be just as loud without as much rasp.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Cutout or LM1
Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Go with some long tubes! You'll add awesome power and you'll get the sound your looking for. We carry several options, check out our site and we'll hook you up with a LS1Tech discount.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

as long as the cutout is after the cats, it isn't illegal. (at least as far as I know) I also think that you shouldn't have an electric cutout on, if you are going to smog though, because they never completely seal like a manually capped cut out does.

In my opinion, a flowmaster is not the way to go on an LS1 car. always magnaflow. Or if you are worried about smog, ditch the muffler, but leave the cats. sounds pretty good, and cost way less than any other cat back, plus still passes smog. You can have your exhaust guy put in a "Y" where the muffler usually is, and come out with 2 tips for the "dual" look. would be louder and sound healthier than your flowmaster, and still pass smog.

If you have an LT1, just get a clip on offroad Y pipe, and it will make it sound like an old school with the flowmaster.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I wonder how a true dual X system would sound with no cats and lm1 resonators. I bet it would be just as loud without as much rasp.
I am currently running 3" true duals with X-pipe with no cats and dynamax bullets dumped at the axle. It is pretty loud but is not raspy and doesn't even resonate much inside the cab, which is great considering it is dumped at the axle with turndowns.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

i would install some long tube headers and put a cutout before the flowmaster.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

longtubes ory for sure, and increasing your rpms (gears, stall, or cam) will do make it way louder. After my gear swap, I run a higher rpm through town and highway, sounds much louder/better.