New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with my exhaust asap!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my exhaust asap!!

Im 17 with a stock 2002 trans am ws6 and i want to do a full exhaust. I would reaaly love to go true dual with long tube headers, but i have no clue which way to go about it. I keep reading different things about which headers/catbacks are good. I also want to lower it with the strano lowering springs. I know lowering it with headers could bottom on out but is there any headers with good ground clearance?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much are you looking to spend, this will help in narrowing down what you can get.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Teching In

i have around $3000 to spend.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Pacesetters are a decent brand and are reasonably priced
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

obx pacesetters or SLP pending the amount u wanna spend.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I have pacesetters and am very happy with them. Nice jump in HP too!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Also you should go true dual no question...it breathes better and is more beneficial.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

I forgot to add if you have 3k to spend you may as well get a cam as well trust me you will love it much much more.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the best clearance headers ive seen and which is also why i chose to buy them are the bkk long tubes. after that just go to texas speed and they have an f body true dual kit you could do. personally tho with that money id just spend 300 on the bbk long tube header and ory kit ( to replace they flat peice under your drivers side) and then another 200-300 on a single electric cutout in the mid pipe or if you want louder then get two and place em right after each header collector. that leaves you a little more than 2 grand to start doing other mods, id either leave your stock exhasut cuz of the cutouts or pick up a loudmouth catback 1 for 300. just so when your cutouts are closed your still loud. from there that leaves you 2000 to go whereever you want. you could pick up a fast 92 intake and a 92 p/p TB. or put that money into a nice cam and heads, if you do this with cutouts open or closed you will sound mean and have the power to back it up trust me.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tho I have no real world experiance with it... the new Kooks TD system looks amazing... check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...st-f-body.html
You can probably get a good deal if you buy all kooks stuff from headers to the TD system. Check sponsors sales and specials section.

Otherwise you have ARH as another top brand... i have ARH on my car with a catted Y and it is great. However these are all big coin items. If you are looking for something cheaper, coated pacesetter headers into a magnaflow (quad tip) exhaust with a e-cutout gets my vote.

For ground clearance I would stay away from SLP headers, and for raspness and loundess (in a bad way) I would stay away from LM cat-backs... but thats just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

American Racing & Kooks make some quality headers that fit & flow very well, and are stainless & won't rust. Match those up to an X-pipe with some Magnaflow Bullet mufflers & you'll have quite the mean setup. (If more modifications are in your near future, hold off on a tune. Otherwise, if you're not intending to do any more engine modifications, you should look into a tune to adjust for the new changes as well as pick up a few horsepower you're leaving on the table).

As far as springs are concerned, Strano is a very good choice. However, if you're on stock, 10-year old shocks, you should upgrade your shocks as well. Also, lowering a car will usually cause your rearend to sit off-center, so you'll need a Panhard Bar. Then, an alignment.

Check out WS6Store.com or SpeedInc.com for a prices & brands. The above will come in a few hundred under your budget, assuming you're doing the labor yourself. It's the little things that add up. But if you have the budget there's no reason no to do it right the first time.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just put Kooks LTs with their true dual system and its badass. Very little drone amazing sound and great flow. Everything fit very well. I bought mine through WS6store Mike over there is more than will to help I will deff buy from them again. I cant remember the exact price on the LTs and TD cuz i bought a bunch of stuff at one time but I think the two together were about $1800
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

A sidenote on the Kooks True Duals:

You will have to have a panhard relocation kit, and a BMR dsl tunnel brace.