New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 year old + LS1 = ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car in Sig at 17, by 18 had it modded xD working full time in high school, FTW. (Some trouble and tickets, nothing major)
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't modify the car until you get used to it being stock, First time I drove my z06 ( The most powerful car I ever drove, plus it being a 6 spd), I almost put it through the wall.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kp483
Got the car in Sig at 17, by 18 had it modded xD working full time in high school, FTW. (Some trouble and tickets, nothing major)

How was the fullcoverage insurance on these when your 16-18?????

Im sure lot of $$$ for crap coverage.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

eh i been reading this and i guess ill throw in my 2 cents...for the most part i agree with everyone on here. Im 18 and i have an ls1 formula. All my friends have f-bodies and some have mustangs. We all race, we all **** around, and we all get pulled over but never for racing for some reason... anyways after i race or do something i always go back and think about it and realize how dumb i was for doing it.It drives me crazy. I know i shouldn't do it but its going to happen just realize when to back off the throttle. it isn't worth crashing or dying just to win a race or have fun. I learned how to drive on my dads 04 vette during the summer and i was super scared to drive it. My dad made me learn on that because he knew i wanted a fire bird since i was little. he wanted me to get used to the power and have a respect for my car. i have a great respect for my car but my stupid teenage ego makes me race for some reason even if i know ill win. i have never crashed or gotten pulled over for racing but it will happen and that's when i get my *** whooped. haha
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xFormulax
eh i been reading this and i guess ill throw in my 2 cents...for the most part i agree with everyone on here. Im 18 and i have an ls1 formula. All my friends have f-bodies and some have mustangs. We all race, we all **** around, and we all get pulled over but never for racing for some reason... anyways after i race or do something i always go back and think about it and realize how dumb i was for doing it.It drives me crazy. I know i shouldn't do it but its going to happen just realize when to back off the throttle. it isn't worth crashing or dying just to win a race or have fun. I learned how to drive on my dads 04 vette during the summer and i was super scared to drive it. My dad made me learn on that because he knew i wanted a fire bird since i was little. he wanted me to get used to the power and have a respect for my car. i have a great respect for my car but my stupid teenage ego makes me race for some reason even if i know ill win. i have never crashed or gotten pulled over for racing but it will happen and that's when i get my *** whooped. haha

How about just keep it at the track?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
How about just keep it at the track?
haha ya me and my buddies are renting out the tack soon. however im not going to be able to go to the track all the time so a race will happen here and there. but i know how to drive that car i been driving it for a year and a half to 2 years plus all the practice on the vette but thats not a good excuse for me to race
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about you have a professional tune the car to your specs. you could detune the car, put any speed/rpm limit on it you want...it would get great mileage and be slow as hell, should you desire. it's really a very simple procedure.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xFormulax
haha ya me and my buddies are renting out the tack soon. however im not going to be able to go to the track all the time so a race will happen here and there. but i know how to drive that car i been driving it for a year and a half to 2 years plus all the practice on the vette but thats not a good excuse for me to race
**** happens bro, just because you have never slipped of the road racing for almost 2 years doesn't mean you never will. You're not expert enough to get the car back into a straight line if it's sideways and swerving all over the road, at least I know I am not. It's better to keep it at the track because at the track they are prepared, if you crash into a wall, They've got people ready to take you to the hospital. On a abandoned street, you only have your buddies, and I can guarantee you that they will stand over you scratching their head thinking, "Wtf should we do". Be smart, Expect the worse, hope the best....

Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to tell you what to do, I am just giving you advice to keep you out of jail, keep your car, and possibly your life...
Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beebe

That's what I'm wondering, and what company?

I'm 19 with no driving record and both companies I have talked to for insurance on my GTA said they couldn't help me. On top of that I never told either of them I put an LS1 in it....
Old 06-12-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

if i got an LS1 when i got my license, that car would not be here. i'm glad i got my 84 Z28 with the boat anchor. i've hit curbs and spun out numerous times. i learned how to drive on that car ( i mean really drive and control a vehicle). Now i'm not the best but i'm certainly better than the kids that zip through traffic and watch racing movies.

just be careful, when it snows, go to an EMPTY parking lot and lose control, see what happens, and learn what to do, same with rain.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Turning 18 a little later this year and I took delivery of my SS back in April, just graduated from high school this past Tuesday.

My car is bone stock and I daily drive it, but I cannot stress enough and I don't mean to intimidate you or make the car seem like some kind of exotic 800rwhp supercar or something, but if you drive like the average teenager does, you will wreck the car, I can assure you. They are powerful cars for a novice driver and if you don't respect it and you go out there flinging the car around at WOT everywhere like most teenagers would, you will completely ruin it. I know 290-310rwhp doesn't seem like too much but trust me, once you're actually behind the wheel piloting the thing, it feels like a lot, especially to a new driver.

I drive my car like a Grandma, never even accelerate hard enough to past 2500k rpm on the street, 1/4 most of the time and I haven't gotten into any trouble or had any close calls with anything or anyone and I drive it almost everyday. So the best thing I'd say for you to do, is just kind of do it like me, cruise it and enjoy it.
This is very good advice i can relate. I wanted a ls1 since they came out but i didnt get one until i was 20. Im glad i waited because i would of killed myself. Even though mines close to stock they are still pretty quick to someone who isnt used to it. I drove a v6 boneville before this ( your normal teenage beater car ) and let me say by the time im doing 60 in that thing im going over 90 in the SS so just be careful. Congrats on it though, very fun to drive.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subframe connectors first.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Slp lm1 cat back , slp air lid ur set for a while.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beebe

under my parents account with me on it also i was paying about 165 a month for full coverage and a $500 deduct. now im on my own paying 150 a month with a $1000 deduct
Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
**** happens bro, just because you have never slipped of the road racing for almost 2 years doesn't mean you never will. You're not expert enough to get the car back into a straight line if it's sideways and swerving all over the road, at least I know I am not. It's better to keep it at the track because at the track they are prepared, if you crash into a wall, They've got people ready to take you to the hospital. On a abandoned street, you only have your buddies, and I can guarantee you that they will stand over you scratching their head thinking, "Wtf should we do". Be smart, Expect the worse, hope the best....

Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to tell you what to do, I am just giving you advice to keep you out of jail, keep your car, and possibly your life...
i know im not trying to be a smart *** kid saying i can handle my car no matter what...i know i cant. however i know what my car is capable of and how i can slip and loose control. trust me i respect that. I dont race all the time and i would defiantly rather be washing and waxing it then racing it. i was just saying that if your a kid on the street with a fast car its going to happen even if its not a race youll always have a temptation in the back of your head to punch it or do something dumb... also when we rent the track there wont be a paramedic on site there will be only a person to run the lights so were still taking a risk
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

I got my first 02 camaro at 15, it was only a 3.8 and even THAT had more power then most teenagers can handle. I raced on the highway one day realized i was about to pass my exit so i thought if i slowed down alittle i would be able to make that turn... i was wrong... i spun out of control and slammed against the guard rail and ended in a ditch... after that people thought i was stupid to want to buy a 02 Z28 not to mention it was a few days after my 17th birthday, but i have changed alot since then. I grandma drive my Z28 everyday, i barely ever go over the speed limit, i have only raced once, and normally obey all traffic rules. not to mention it has quite a few bolt ons and makes alittle over 440hp on a dynojet but because im such a careful driver now i have yet to be in an accident in the two years i've had the car

sorry if i dragged this story, its 3 in the morning over here and im about to knock out
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Subframe connectors first.
I just read through a lot of teenage bull crap and this is the one single shred of advice that's worth while.

If you wanted to buy a car to be sooo careful with then a f body in general is not for you. When you do slam on the gas whether it be six speed or auto even from a roll these things can get out of shape. Subframe connecters help it track straight and could save you from wrecking you car assuming that you will be on street tires.

I personally wouldn't drive a ls1 f body that has anything more serious than longtubes without drag radials, but since you're 16 I doubt you'll have enough for $500 drag radials ie mickey thompson, nitto, whatever.

Good luck with the car I truely hope it works out for ya. It wouldn't be the first time a novice driver wrecked a f body but if that happens there's always the parts classifieds for the part out.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the advice. Im going to be getting mickey thompsons in july with Torque Thrusts or z06 rims. Still havent decided.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

it a bad idea dude you could get hurt or kill yourself or someone. at the age of 17 hell i couldnt drive tht well and then throw in a highly unpridictable car like a f-body ls1 yea it trouble waiting to happen dude
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

ehhh I say no hood.....or no SS hood if it isnt an ss....sunoco hoods are nice too though. I just dont like the "clone" deal.

Quick Reply: 16 year old + LS1 = ????