New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-10-2016, 03:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Lines!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lines!

I am making huge progress on my 99TA! We just put new brakes on all around "calipers, rotors and pads". When we tried to bleed the system the line on the driver side rear started leaking. Under further investigation all the lines look pretty bad. Does anyone know where i can get the full brake line kit for this car? I want to replace them all.

On a better note, we got a stuck plug out and replaced and the motor is running nicely. And i got my slave, clutch, and flywheel installed so before the brake line broke i got to go on a quick 15mph ride. First time the car has moved under its own power in more than a year!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you check with major companies that specialize in pre bent systems, most time you need to get a universal kit, flare tool and just go nuts.

To be honest, this is a good time to re do the front where the lines do not interfer with things like the K member so if you ever want to lets say remove the motor from the bottom, you can just drop it instead of dealing with brake lines.

Just universal line kits.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Thats what i figured, we can get the hard line in any local store, i was just hopeing someone knew about a company that had a prebent set. I do plan on changingvthem all, is there a special rout i should run them to the fronts to avoid later issues?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Seen on multiple cars personally that people route them on the firewall and down the frame rail. So the cross over is behind the motor and not infront of the K member.

Works very well, also if you want to ditch ABS, now would be the time.

Just Google Pre bent line companies or something like that, they may have a lead. I used a kit but for get the company name for my 1970 Chevelle back in the day when I wanted to convert it from 4 wheel drum to front disk / rear drum conversion.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Every company i find makes prebent kits up to 1992, but i cant find anything after. Thanks for the heads up on the rerout!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try to find a car thats being parted out steel brake lines stay in good shape for years.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Launching!

If you decide to make your own get the coated lines.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Teching In

What do u mean by coated lines?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by usafws6
Try to find a car thats being parted out steel brake lines stay in good shape for years.
^^^ Not in the northeast! Unfortunately up this way steel lines tend to rot away in about 10 years.

By coated he means the "Green" lines which are teflon coated to resist corrosion and look nicer. Myself I use the new Nickel-Brass line. It will never corrode and is literally 10 times easier to bend. I get mine in 25ft spools at my local napa. If you need part #'s PM me and I'll check the spools I have hanging in the garage. It's about twice the price of steel but saves a boatload of time and once you get the nack of flareing it saves a decent amount of time over steel. Good luck!

PS: Make sure you do all of the brake hoses, really you should do them every time you do a caliper anyway. Also use new unopened brake fluid and I can tell you, you get what you pay for when it comes to fluid, just don't use DOT 5. DOT 3 or 4 are good and can actually be mixed if necessary.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Teching In

Got ya, i will check on tge coated lines. And i plan on making a napa run tomorrow after i get one of the old lines off.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Yea when its comes to brake lines, if one is done, do them all. It sucks but it is the right way of doing it.

Quick Reply: Brake Lines!