New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of ASR rearends for high HP

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of ASR rearends for high HP

I am thinkin of building a sleeper street z28 with around 5-600 whp. Should I avoid an asr car?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

ASR as in the button you press in camaro's to turn off traction control? If so, it doesn't really matter as most people will say you almost need a bigger rearend for that high of whp. Like a 12 bolt or 9 inch, depending if you are a A4 or M6.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Teching In

It's gonna have high gears..... 3.2-3.4 in the rear. I want to use the stock rearend if possible. If not, do any of the larger aftermarket rearends accomodate the traction control? And is the traction control going to limit the amount of power I can put to it?

I want it to be my daily driver. Quick and fast. Quiet. Not noticeable.

These cars drive fine year round with the ASR option. Without it, I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter. Especially with the power I want. I drive about 1500 miles a month year round.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna have snow, I'd want another vehicle other than a 600rwhp car I don't care what kinda traction control it had. Find you a 1-2k beater pick up for the winter.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ASR system functions independently of the power output of the engine - if the rear wheels are going faster than the front wheels, it pulls the throttle and spark until it doesn't. If the engine makes more power, it might have to do its thing more often, but it will still function the same.

Where you will run into a potential issue is with an aftermarket rear - some folks have issues getting the sensors to read correctly. When I bought my Strange 12-bolt, I had the option for a 4-channel rear end, but I chose to eliminate ABS and traction control instead (both systems use the same sensors). I just didn't want to deal with the potential headache, but my car was no longer a daily driver. That said, you can get most aftermarket rear ends set up to retain ABS and traction control, and you'd never notice a difference if this was done correctly.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I get very lite snow here. I don't ever plan on driving it in the snow. Just rain when needed.

Thanx for the insight guys
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Good questions for all to know the answer to. Strange offers 3 or 4-channell with the S60. The 3-channell is $150.00 and the 4-channell up-grade is $69.00.
Hope this helps.
Carl
Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSMOKIN
Sorry to tell you but at 5-600rwhp these cars are anything but quiet
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ I hate it when you post. Damned avatar....
Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the mileage you put on your car, I would opt for the 4channel. There might be a moment where the T/C comes in handy. However, at that power level I would want something else to drive. Either way a s60 and 9inch can be had in a 4channel configuration.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Launching!

I am thinkin of building a sleeper street z28 with around 5-600 whp. Should I avoid an asr car?
It's gonna have high gears..... 3.2-3.4 in the rear. I want to use the stock rearend if possible. If not, do any of the larger aftermarket rearends accomodate the traction control? And is the traction control going to limit the amount of power I can put to it?

These cars drive fine year round with the ASR option. Without it, I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter. Especially with the power I want. I drive about 1500 miles a month year round.
Stock rear end, whether you meant Fwhp or Rwhp doesn't even matter, this is not possible. My stocker went to hell on my 99 ws6 M6 with LT's and exhaust only on street tires.

Quiet and not noticeable is also not possible unless you plan on switching out your motor for something with a lot more displacement than your ls1. As a reference (a weak one though) a stock LS7 is a 427ci motor with 505hp FWHP. If your going the forced induction route, it may be easier to reach your sleeper goal but be ready to forge the motor and get a tune like no other. Not sure if the supercharger whine is considered "quiet and not noticeable".

To answer your original question about the asr, either your asking because your worried about driveability or your worried it will limit your power.

If your worried about limiting your power, the asr will not limit anything, just keeps your traction in check. Aftermarket rear ends all have options for 3 channel (abs), 4 channel (abs and asr/tcs), or deleting both of these functions. You said this car would be your daily. IMO, your better off just keeping the asr. If you feel it gets in the way, you can always turn it off.

If your worried about driveability, that will get better with time. If you've never driven a car with that kind of power, it will take some getting used to but you'll learn how to drive it eventually, kinda like the first time you get an fbody, you scrape every driveway and speed bump until you figured it out, then it becomes second nature.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone. I guess my question about the ASR might better be worded like so.

Is there a point of HP or torque that the ASR cant keep up and therefor wouldn't be effective?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ASR is meant to keep up with small torque, and save you
in sensible situations gone a little bit wrong. It's not going
to keep your 600HP motor from spinning the tires and it's
a very poor traction control system anyway, slow and
prone to over-react.

If you want real traction control you'll throw serious
money at RaceLogic or something like that. The OE one
is a joke pretty much.

That said, such a retrofit would want 4 channels.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

5 years of 25k+ a year here ... Illinois winters vary but we see snow every winter. ASR not required.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Teching In

LOTS OF GREAT INFO AND INSIGHT!!!

Thanx again everyone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros and cons of ASR rearends for high HP