Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about lids

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about lids

Alright, so my 2001 Camaro SS currently has a K&N filter on it.

I was wondering if I would see any performance gains from picking up a "lid"?

All of the ones I have seen for sale on websites basically look the same as my stock intake.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find a used lid and call it a day
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

yea it is definitely worth it and should be one of the first mods you do, Its not so much the appearance, but if you look under your stock lid there are ridges on the backside whereas aftermarket lids are smooth on the backside allowing air to flow better through it. Generally its worth around 10 HP. On the other side the K&N filter does virtually nothing.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, thanks. Just wanted to reassure I wasn't crazy haha. I'm surprised the previous owner didn't do a lid. It has BMR stage 2 kit, hooker headers, offroad y pipe, borla exhaust, etc.

EDIT: And another question so I don't have to make another thread. Is it worth it to buy one of the diablo or other namebrand programmers? It was the best mod for mustangs, but don't see a lot of people running them here.

Last edited by Skraight; 02-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skraight
Alright, thanks. Just wanted to reassure I wasn't crazy haha. I'm surprised the previous owner didn't do a lid. It has BMR stage 2 kit, hooker headers, offroad y pipe, borla exhaust, etc.

EDIT: And another question so I don't have to make another thread. Is it worth it to buy one of the diablo or other namebrand programmers? It was the best mod for mustangs, but don't see a lot of people running them here.
No it's not really worth it, with your mods you definitely want to get a good mail order tune at the least, a dyno tune would be even better though.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

If you know how to tune with a programmer then it can be effective, but the problem is most people will not hit the nail on the head with a handheld tuner, which is why they get it tuned professionally. I've known a few guys who were good with handheld tuners and rented dyno time and tuned their cars themselves with the tuner on the dyno. But generally your average person will see more results out of a dyno tune if its professionally done by a reputable shop.

And most people wait until their done modding their cars so they don't have to pay twice, these cars stock tune is fine with full bolt on's so most will wait until they do a cam to get tuned. Although if your not wanting to do a cam its a good idea to get a tune after bolt on's.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

He most likely had a lid on it... Maybe a Blackwing Lid? Want mine...lol
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Easiest way to tell if the lid has baffles on it then its stock or if you take it off the underside of it will not be smooth
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or just look for the "slp" and "blackwing" lettering....
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

This is a real blackwing lid.... notice it is one piece all the way to the neck? That is the for sure way to tell, it has an oval shaped boot... no other lid uses that shape in a single piece....