New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 steam lines from heads

Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 steam lines from heads

Do I have to hook steam lines into the radiator or can I just plug them off?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to hook them up.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hook them up, you will cause a world of problems in the cooling system if you don't.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2001 and 2002 with the addition of the ls6 (zo6 c5) intake to the ls1 motor, engineer came up against clearance issues with the steam/crossover lines, and blocked off 2 of them. At normal to moderate power levels, this has little known effect. However once some real power is made, it only speeds up the process and leads to higher temps, which most certainly contribute to ringland failures, melted pistons, among other misfortunes. I am writing this that way its easier to find in the event someone does not know it and finds this thread. Its becoming a more prevalent topic these days. The solution is to either buy some stock lines and plumb them in, or contact Kurt Urban and buy one of his pristine kits. Well worth the money IMO. Anything that keeps those temps down, is good insurance for a long happy life for your motor.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Definitely something you need to keep, or find a way to improve upon the factory system like the aftermarket one mentioned or something of your own.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
In 2001 and 2002 with the addition of the ls6 (zo6 c5) intake to the ls1 motor, engineer came up against clearance issues with the steam/crossover lines, and blocked off 2 of them. At normal to moderate power levels, this has little known effect. However once some real power is made, it only speeds up the process and leads to higher temps, which most certainly contribute to ringland failures, melted pistons, among other misfortunes. I am writing this that way its easier to find in the event someone does not know it and finds this thread. Its becoming a more prevalent topic these days. The solution is to either buy some stock lines and plumb them in, or contact Kurt Urban and buy one of his pristine kits. Well worth the money IMO. Anything that keeps those temps down, is good insurance for a long happy life for your motor.

^^^ i never knew about this.. Good info. Thanks for the heads up
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can use 2 ls6 cross over tube kits and tie them together up front .or you can tap threads in to the heads and use some AN fittings and some small braided line .
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Go ahead and block them off, and give it a little while, we can see the post on how you popped a piston. So def keep them.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

question, is he refering to completly deleting the steam tubes or converting to an LS6 style where only the front steam tube is used and blockoffs are used in the back?
now i have seen some steam blocks that have an fitting built into them. that would look pretty trick without going too "race car" looking so as long as you get black or silver instead of the traditional blue and red an fittings.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

I'm thinking of welding on an AN fitting on mine so I can use a good hose. The hot coolant is making the push-loc hose I have on there now get kinda hard & i'm worried about a hose failure.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

if i knew any of our sponsors sold them id put a link up but i dont know. I know though that you can find them for a decent price with AN fittings already on them. I was thinking of running an fittings on all of mine and tieing them all together like the stock LS1 has and then running it back to the coolant tube.
ITs either that or reuse the stock ls1 steam tube. if you have an LS6 intake, you'll have to grind some of the ribs off underniether to get it to fit right. some have done this with success.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

i'm doing a ls6 intake right now on a truck engine. I need to make sure it does not hit.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Go ahead and block them off, and give it a little while, we can see the post on how you popped a piston. So def keep them.
Originally Posted by NEXRACE
I'm thinking of welding on an AN fitting on mine so I can use a good hose. The hot coolant is making the push-loc hose I have on there now get kinda hard & i'm worried about a hose failure.
We have had a few cars roll through here and the ones with custom AN setups looked really nice.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
We have had a few cars roll through here and the ones with custom AN setups looked really nice.
I'm gunna' call you guys when I'm ready to spend some money on heads and a cam....dan
Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
There is a huge thread on Yellowbullet about this. Most of the big racers are running all four. The only problem is alot of the kits only work with single plane intakes. There is a couple pictures of how guys have made lines around the perimeter of the FAST intakes in order to tap all the ports. The Kurt Urban kit can be ran with a FAST intake. The only way to have one that is hidden is to use a LS6 cross over in the front and back or an LS1, which means notching your intake. If using stock pieces you might want to consider some better hose and clamps.

I PM'd Tony Mamo about if the thought the bottom of the FAST could be notched to allow the stock LS1 or fabbed cross over to run underneath it, he told me he believed the #7 issue to be inherent to the stock intake design and has never done it before (the main argument against weather its worth tapping into the steam ports is that some people just say that the problems are because of the layout of the stock style intakes and the steam port isn't the real issue). He went on to say that if the tune is not on the ragged edge he feels you should be ok, so... that's both sides of the argument.

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
Yeah the one's on Yellowbullet that went around the outsides of the FAST looked pretty cool, haha like we need anything else sitting up there on these cars.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=439023&page=9

Last edited by My6speedZ; 07-18-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

I am new to this site and to LS1's. The '67 Camaro I just bought has a '98 LS1 and the steam ports are capped. Even though the engine is bone stock, it sounds like I still need to add steam tubes. If I can find the stock tubes, will they work? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

ya' you should at least add either the front or back set on your engine. You will not need all 4 done.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Teching In

ok. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68CRUZR
I am new to this site and to LS1's. The '67 Camaro I just bought has a '98 LS1 and the steam ports are capped. Even though the engine is bone stock, it sounds like I still need to add steam tubes. If I can find the stock tubes, will they work? Thanks.
You might not be able to find an original 98 tube, they can be kind of hard to track down. However, you can make one out of two LS6 tubes for pretty cheap.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a fast 92 intake using stock ls1 steam lines.I used a piece of soft wood and a small plastic hammer to slightly bend the tubes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 steam lines from heads