Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 vs royal purple

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 vs royal purple

I have a now stock 2000 z28 guy I bought it from ran valvoline conventional in it so I'm Gunna change it w that first to see if I have any consumption first then switch but can't decide between the two I can get a mobil1 oil change for $30 where as royal purple would run me $70 is it really worth the price difference? I plan on running royal purple in the trans and diff because they get changed a lot less frequently also what interval would you guys recommend for either I was thinking 5 or 6k i use Mobil super in my other cars car has 85000 miles thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Sometimes it actually can negatively affect the motor that has used conventional motor oil and has higher miles. I did that with a car that I had with around 60K miles. It didn't leak/burn oil before when it was using conventional, and when I switched over to Mobile 1 it kept going through oil. Just be careful switching and do your homework.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

i have ran royal purple in my car since i owned it .. going on 3 years and about to turn 96,000mi.. i still change mine every 3000mi, my driving is a little "harsh" so i change it more often. and also i have a knock somewhere and my knock sensor is giving me a code, the way my pops taught me was every 3000 no matter what oil, after i rebuild my motor over the winter i am going with mobil 1, im pretty sure the LS motors recommend mobil anyway... just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

I have used both and like both. I have used Mobil and Royal Purple on different vehicles but my experience was mainly with Royal Purple had a bone stock 3v mustang block and heads down to head bolts, just bolt ons and cam. I sprayed a 200 shot for over a year and I changed oil very 5-7k with a wix filter. Never had any issues and spun it to 7600rpm making 530whp. So I am favoring Royal Purple.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 216StealthSS
the way my pops taught me was every 3000 no matter what oil
That was the case with conventional oils back in the day. The reason you have to change your oil is after a certain amount of miles the oil begins to breakdown and can no longer lube the engine parts to reduce friction as well. With synthetic oils they can go much much longer before breaking down. This means less oil changes.

I understand where you're coming from. A lot of car guys including myself were ingrained with the "change your oil every 3,000 miles". It's hard to accept the reality that that is no longer the case with synthetics.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In tests RP doesn't really do too well. They do have great marketing and big money though. In real world applications it's probably fine, but definitely not worth paying more for. I use Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, or Amsoil for my fluids.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

My favorite oil if you can find it is brad penn racing oil like $4 a quart and I have had a engine survive 3 bad oil pumps still runs to this day 3 years later ,a lot of circle track guys use it. Most performance shops can order it or u can order through summit. Worth a search if u have a little free time later
Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 370cidZ06
My favorite oil if you can find it is brad penn racing oil like $4 a quart and I have had a engine survive 3 bad oil pumps still runs to this day 3 years later ,a lot of circle track guys use it. Most performance shops can order it or u can order through summit. Worth a search if u have a little free time later

Kendall GT1 is the same as the Brad Penn oils.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

saw good results about pennzoil platinum another forum .
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sepsis
Kendall GT1 is the same as the Brad Penn oils.
Didn't know that thanks for info now I'll just go but that at Oreillys haha
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 370cidZ06
Didn't know that thanks for info now I'll just go but that at Oreillys haha

No problem.

I got an Isky cam for my SBC and in the literature it recommends Brad Penn oils (formerly known as Kendall GT1) but I see Kendall GT1 oils on the shelf. I assume it's the same stuff.

I get the oil with ZDDP for my flat tappet cam.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000z77charger
I have a now stock 2000 z28 guy I bought it from ran valvoline conventional in it so I'm Gunna change it w that first to see if I have any consumption first then switch but can't decide between the two I can get a mobil1 oil change for $30 where as royal purple would run me $70 is it really worth the price difference? I plan on running royal purple in the trans and diff because they get changed a lot less frequently also what interval would you guys recommend for either I was thinking 5 or 6k i use Mobil super in my other cars car has 85000 miles thanks
Not worth the price difference but it sounds like you are paying someone to change your oil and you can get Mobil 1 for ony $30? Where can I find that?

Cheapest I have see Mobil 1 is $26 for 5 quart jug at WalMart. At that price I can't do it myself for $30 (6 quarts and a decent filter)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
Not worth the price difference but it sounds like you are paying someone to change your oil and you can get Mobil 1 for ony $30? Where can I find that?

Cheapest I have see Mobil 1 is $26 for 5 quart jug at WalMart. At that price I can't do it myself for $30 (6 quarts and a decent filter)
No I change my own oil I work at advance auto parts we have Mobil 1 jug plus filter for $30 would need an extra quart but we have singles on sale with the special too
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Ive been running royal purple in my car with out a problem, i run mobile one in my H/C 5.3L silverado with no problems when changing, only thing i say is bs on the 6-8k miles changes, i changed mine at 4500miles twice and each time its come out with almost no lubricant propertys it feels like, i touch it whiles draining and it rubs off like dirty water, not oil, the royale purple that is, i change at 3k miles and ot comes out darker but with still an oily feel to it, maybe it would last a few hundred more miles but i rather change it while its still oily, not after it losses it, $70 imo every 2-3 months isnt that much for keepin ur engine alive
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000z77charger
I have a now stock 2000 z28 guy I bought it from ran valvoline conventional in it so I'm Gunna change it w that first to see if I have any consumption first then switch but can't decide between the two I can get a mobil1 oil change for $30 where as royal purple would run me $70 is it really worth the price difference?...
It's always best to check for oil consumption before paying top dollar for your oil. You didn't mention what the mileage was on the 2000 Z28. If it's greater than 75,000 and the engine is using a little oil, I recommend Mobil 1 High Mileage as your oil of choice. If you use a lot of oil, skip the synthetic and go to a conventional oil instead like Mobil Super High Mileage.

Royal Purple (RP) seems to be a fine oil for the street although a little pricey. I shy away from using it only because of track my LS6 frequently, and all the used oil reports I've seen on BITOG show that RP almost always shears out of grade with hard use. I use Redline Oil 10W-30 in the LS6 for the added protection from track day abuse.

Have fun with your Z28!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
That was the case with conventional oils back in the day. The reason you have to change your oil is after a certain amount of miles the oil begins to breakdown and can no longer lube the engine parts to reduce friction as well. With synthetic oils they can go much much longer before breaking down. This means less oil changes.

I understand where you're coming from. A lot of car guys including myself were ingrained with the "change your oil every 3,000 miles". It's hard to accept the reality that that is no longer the case with synthetics.
i agree, that is back in the day stuff.. exactly where my pop's prime time was. but usually if im over 1,000 or 2,000 i dont go crazy. so mine are between 3-5k mi depends how i feel...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a lot of oil testing done on here a few years ago. The only way to say if an oil is good for an engine is with an oil analysis. Done several time, as mileage gets higher, with out changing the oil. The analysis will allow you to look for wear metals and other things. Castrol Syntec 0w30 with a K and N long filter did well in testing and is what I run.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

im doing a oil analysis on my next oil change, we do it here at work for fire/rescue division.
im running royal purple 10w30 w/ acdelco filter..

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs royal purple