Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

longtube headers with no cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longtube headers with no cats

My car is bone stock and I plan on putting longtube headers on it. Some one was telling me to to just keep the stock exhaust system and put the heads on without cats is that a good idea or not?

Last edited by 01WS6STANBO; 01-10-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Depends on how you want it to sound and if you want every last bit of power from your system or not. I run on stock muffler, no cats and 1 3/4 LTs and I like it even though it is not making as much power as it would with a different setup.

This is what it sounds like...

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 01-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

its cheaper to run a catless y pipe . You should look into the tsp headers from tesax speed . You have to remeber you will need a tune to get rid of the cel if you go catless and will you be able to pass inspection without them , you need to know someone to overlook them .
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I guess maybe I misunderstood? I was assuming the LTs came with the ypipe like mine did.

OP are you talking about using the factory ypipe?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do it once, do it right....Lts, ypipe, catback...or even better with duals. These cars want to breath, and they sound badass if done correctly. Nothing worse than running LTs with the choked up stock muffler, which imao, completely takes the muscle car sound away. Whats the fking point. Now why would you want to do that??? Unless you have sub-par taste.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Do y'all have any recommendation on exhaust system if I dont like it with out cats? Cause I plan on getting the bbk longtubes with the y pipe but I was gone wait on the catback unless I find a reasonable price

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Depends on how you want it to sound and if you want every last bit of power from your system or not. I run on stock muffler, no cats and 1 3/4 LTs and I like it even though it is not making as much power as it would with a different setup.

This is what it sounds like...

http youtu U_b8QebIcjY
It sound nice though I think I'm gone try it out
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

The BBK headers I bought from ws6store and the ypipe actually slips over the stock exhaust so you can always upgrade later.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Teching In

So the bbk headers are good? And do I need to get any other kit to install like the o2 extentions?

So the bbk headers are good? And do I need to get anything other than the kit to install it like the longer o2 wires?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll hear a thousand different opinions on exhausts, but I've always been a huge fan of the Hooker cat-back for these cars. On the quieter side (definitely not quiet still with LTs/ORY), great sound, and a fairly cheap price. It is not stainless though, and if you live up north, you will be replacing the muffler in a couple years if you drive in the winter.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Do you got a website or link I can go to find them?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Launching!

get the tsp headers bro they are stainless and a great price with there ory. I got the 1 7/8 because they were out of the 1 3/4. If you are on a budget they are 130 bucks or so cheaper. best bang for the buck and stainless. I have better fit then stock because my tuner tucked them up great. I was actually wanting to run the catted y pipe but my tuner told me that tsp catted y sucks for clearance. Basically It was one bad driveway entrance from being crushed so I went with the ory and dont regret it. I know I will find someone for emissions when is time. oh and I have stock exhaust right now so you can keep yours for now like I did until you are sure which exhaust you want or have the funds for . Make sure you do motor mounts for sure. my car has 99 k and from what I hear the stock ones are no good at 30 k sometimes. get the poly ones feels nice and stiff and car puts power to ground better believe me. You will notice a slight shake at idle but it is nothing at all I mean you are used to it like in a few days it is barely noticible. Dont get solid I heard they are terrible. Glw what you do

Last edited by dhctss; 01-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remember...the stickys in this section will help you alot.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by justin hover
Remember...the stickys in this section will help you alot.
I'm new to do this what you mean stickys

Originally Posted by dhctss
get the tsp headers bro they are stainless and a great price with there ory. I got the 1 7/8 because they were out of the 1 3/4. If you are on a budget they are 130 bucks or so cheaper. best bang for the buck and stainless. I have better fit then stock because my tuner tucked them up great. I was actually wanting to run the catted y pipe but my tuner told me that tsp catted y sucks for clearance. Basically It was one bad driveway entrance from being crushed so I went with the ory and dont regret it. I know I will find someone for emissions when is time. oh and I have stock exhaust right now so you can keep yours for now like I did until you are sure which exhaust you want or have the funds for . Make sure you do motor mounts for sure. my car has 99 k and from what I hear the stock ones are no good at 30 k sometimes. get the poly ones feels nice and stiff and car puts power to ground better believe me. You will notice a slight shake at idle but it is nothing at all I mean you are used to it like in a few days it is barely noticible. Dont get solid I heard they are terrible. Glw what you do
And your talking about the texas speed ones right?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01WS6STANBO
So the bbk headers are good? And do I need to get anything other than the kit to install it like the longer o2 wires?
I used Corvette rear 02s so I didn't have to use the extensions. If you use the front sensors from your car you would need to pick up a set of extensions.

Quick Reply: longtube headers with no cats