Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor...thanks RPM WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor...thanks RPM WS6

As I had posted earlier, my car has always felt a little sluggish and it always acted like it didn't know what gear to go in when I would give it a little more throttle from a regular cruising speed. Such as passing someone, or pulling out in traffic and realizing that I need to go a little faster, etc, etc. Well, the weather has been pretty nice and the streets are free of salt so I thought I'd check the MAF sensor as suggested and take her for a ride. After taking it off, I saw where it looked bad (compared to other photos online). So I removed it and put a piece of pvc pipe in it's place. Night and day difference. There is no hesitation when giving partial throttle. The only problem now is that the "service engine light" is on and it shifts really hard....which is fun and put's a big grin on my face when the tires chirp going into second while barely giving it gas...but it can't be good for the tranny, u-joints, and rear. I've thought about cleaning the MAF sensor and putting back in, but it was a struggle getting it out and now the aluminum body of the MAF is all scratch up. I could sand and polish the scratches out of the MAF body again, but was wondering what kind of options I might have of leaving it out....such as putting in a fake sensor or putting a resistor across the pins to fake the computer? Any suggestions? Again thanks RPM WS6...now I know it's just the MAF and not the tranny messing up.

One other question...Sea Foam? Have you guys used it for your intake? This car was former highway patrol and so it idled a lot. The intake is black with gummy varnish. The intake of my old 4x4 pu truck that I've had for 14 years looks ten times cleaner then the intake of this Camaro. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Glad that you found the issue to be MAF related rather than your trans. Poor MAF readings/operation can lead to all kinds of driveability issues, as you have discovered. Glad that you found my posts helpful.

Right now, your PCM is defaulting to the MAP sensor for information, since the MAF has been disabled. I would not leave it this way personally, unless you are planning to get a custom speed density tune. I would either clean the original MAF and reinstall it, or if that is not an option I would get a new replacement unit. I would definitely not suggest installing any sort of resistors/simulators for the MAF sensor, this will only create problems.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Default Maf

Op you need to clean your MAF and see if that works or get a used one off the classifed ads on this board they can be had for like 60 somtimes less. if you want to run with out a MAF than you have to get a speed density tune which if your car is not heavily modded its not worth it those tunes can costs 450 or more
Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks RPM WS6 and TransAmGCS for the advice. I plan on keeping it stock so I'll just get that MAF sensor cleaner and re-install it. If it still messes up after the cleaning, I'll check the classifieds or get one from the shop. Thanks again for your all's help.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one if you need it. Pm me
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks BWW....I won't be back in town for a week or two to try cleaning my old one first. But if that doesn't work, I'll PM you and see if you still have yours for sale. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Launching!

My car was like hitting a brick wall at 2200 rpm. I ordered lid and cleaned maf with maf cleaner. It ran worse so bought new one. Problem was gone and running way stronger. I noticed the old maf the little wire was bent on sensor.someone screwed up. Seems this is a commom problem with these cars. Dont use s kn filter or be careful with oil.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Dhctss,

I got a chance to clean it, but didn't get a chance to put it back on and test it. However I took my multi-meter to it. For some reason I couldn't get an ohms reading on any of them but when I went to check for electrical continuity,, two of them showed up fine but one of them came up with an open circuit...so I'm assuming the little wire must be broke somewhere not visible to the naked eye? Although I'm not sure if I was measuring the right areas or making good contact with the multimeter. I'm out of town and the weather is crappy, so I'll fool with it later. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Np hope it work out
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Went to O'Riellys and bought their re-conditioned MAF sensor. Forget the name of the brand....but it was their cheapest one. You have to turn in your old core. It came with the front and back aluminum housing and screen and it's around $110 bucks. Car runs great, tranny shifts smooth when your cruising and yet decisive and firm when you give it more gas. Also, the check engine light went off after a few miles. It now feels more like what I expected a sub 6 second 0-60 car should feel like. I've driven stock RX-7 turbos, Supra Turbos, late 90's C4's, M3's, WRX's, and other LT1/LS1 Cameros before and now this car feels more like those.....instead of feeling like a stock 80's IROC or GT. I'm happy...thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: MAF sensor...thanks RPM WS6