New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money VS Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Money VS Mods (which to get for cost effective power)

I was hanging out at the local rice burner section cuz these are the only car enthusiasts and no domestics around. I guess I got some competition a couple bone stock evolution VIII 's and an STI "subyy" with an exhaust 2003's - 2004's. and 1 stealth with slight mods...

What will i need to do to beat these guys? I havent seen these cars in action yet and i DONT TRUST MAGAZINES!!!! i've seen a WS6 Rated an 14.0 by one magazine and I've seen 1 mag. give it a rating of 4.8 0-60 and a 12.96 1/4. and in the same respect i've seen those cars rated anywhere from 12.75-13.3
Anyhow What are some cost effective mods i should do to take out the competition.

At the end of that night i went to do a burnout and all was good the 1st gear laid down a nasty and then i shifted to 2nd as i always did in my honda... and WOW bad mistake my clutch spun like a crazed BIAAATCH.... which would advise me to get a High performance clutch and flywheel combo ASAP, but id rather spend the money on something to provide more power... Any opinions???

Last edited by Ws6Transam2002M6; 04-17-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cam should do it.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cam and headers should put you in the mid to high 12s
Old 04-17-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ws6Transam2002M6
I was hanging out at the local rice burner section cuz these are the only car enthusiasts and no domestics around. I guess I got some competition a couple bone stock evolution VIII 's and an STI "subyy" with an exhaust 2003's - 2004's. and 1 stealth with slight mods...

What will i need to do to beat these guys? I havent seen these cars in action yet and i DONT TRUST MAGAZINES!!!! i've seen a WS6 Rated an 14.0 by one magazine and I've seen 1 mag. give it a rating of 4.8 0-60 and a 12.96 1/4. and in the same respect i've seen those cars rated anywhere from 12.75-13.3
Anyhow What are some cost effective mods i should do to take out the competition.

At the end of that night i went to do a burnout and all was good the 1st gear laid down a nasty and then i shifted to 2nd as i always did in my honda... and WOW bad mistake my clutch spun like a crazed BIAAATCH.... which would advise me to get a High performance clutch and flywheel combo ASAP, but id rather spend the money on something to provide more power... Any opinions???
Free Mods, BFG DR's or better... +-$350, $30 cutout, $ 400-500 (used) 150 shot nitrous.. import smoking performance...$ 900...case closed.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ws6Transam2002M6

You probably can beat them right now if you can drive well.

Don't believe the hype surrounding these cars. While very capable they are not the be all and end all of modern performance.
I have never seen a stock EVO run better than a 13.5 at my local strip. The 60' was a fantastic for stock tires 1.82 but it doesn't have the power to keep pulling.

Go to the New LS1 enthusiast section. Do alot of looking around. Look at peoples signatures. See what kind of times they are running and what mods they have.

Speaking of signatures.You're seriously going to need to rethink the plans in you signature.

Those goals are UNOBTAINABLE with current automotive technology. Not even with a budget of $160,000,000 (F1 R&D budget) per year has anything approaching this been attained.

Get a couple of magazine subscriptions: GM High Tech and High Performance,Hot Rod,Popular Hot Rodding,Car Craft,Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords,etc.

Continue to go to reliable tech forums. Do not watch the fast and the furious or it's sequel EVER again. Also avoid "Torque" and "Biker Boyz".
Old 04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Teching In

LMAO about those movies... the goals should be within reach. i am not limited as those cars in lemans and other race series.... i will use a 7 liter c5r block about 25 psi and some nitrous both for power and to frost the intercooler... the top end isnt a problem nor is the braking i think THE HARDEST part out of my whole goal is the cornering of a 1.4 G i will be satisfied with 1.2 hell even 1.1 but my ultimate goal is 1.4 in the cornering department and this is THE ONLY DIFICULT portion to do so my goals are within reach and can be accomplished...
thanks for the input, i'll check out some signatures....
already have GMHTP subscription and i love it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 12:03 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Are you extremely rich?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I guess it's good that you know EXACTLY what you want, however, like lerajie said before, I'm almost certain those goals are unobtainable. A carbon fiber body???? WTF dude, I'm assuming this isn't your daily driver. Plus, from what little I know about suspension, I know that a suspension you would use to run 8 sec. ET's probably wouldn't get close to pulling even a G. Lasty, I hope you have a money tree or are related to someone in Forbes.
Back to the original topic, there are countless mods for our cars. I am going the lid/headers/nitrous route; probably the cheapest and most bang-for-your-buck. Of course, if you are dropping in a turbo C5R block, I'm not sure if you would want to start dumping money into this engine. When are you putting the block in?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, I guess you guy's in Vermont still grow good pot
Old 04-18-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T-maxx
So, I guess you guy's in Vermont still grow good pot
Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Teching In

about the pot HELL YEA ITS GOOD DAWG... lol back to the topic. C5r block isnt comming for probably 3-4 years and the turbo the following year after... I dont really care to sink in all this money for heads and other stuff just to smoke these kids... i just want to do something cost effective for power... I.e. lid throttle body or anything really cheap so i can just take out the competetion for now untill i do start sinking big bucks into engine work etc. right now im trying to prep stuff such as suspension fuel system electrical and the driveline to support the upcomming motor. and maybe a few body mods. i just want something temporary so i can shut these kids up untill then.... i might just do nitrous because sooner or later im going to get a bottle for a 75 shot and frosting the intercooler over... so i guess it would be a good investment... any other thoughts besides nitrous??? (only reason i say that is because i dont want to hear there excuse YOU HAVE 4 extra cylnders and You use nitrous!!! thats cheap...) even though cylnders dont matter its discplacement so they are crying about the wrong things and as far as im concerend its a legit forced induction, they use turbo i use nitrous;... unfortunetly they dont see it like that so i was just trying to figure out some mods i can do that wont waste alot of money to start sending me of the road for what my plans are and at the same time so i can pretend its "Stock" something unnoticeable... a cam would be a pretty good idea,
thanks for the input, any other thoughts?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Teching In

as far as runnign the handling and the 8 second 1/4 i think it would be more wise to concentrate on a suspension setup that would be more in favor of the handling department rather than et's and try to squeeze the better 1/4 mile time out of brute force.... C5R (depending on the track there suspension and gearing varies) has ran a LOW 10 second e.t. with a 1.6G skidpad all motor with restrictor plates and restrictions to tire size...
now i know because my weight, nor my suspenion will even come close to touching that of a c5r i relize 1.6 will be impossible (i dont like that word, so say uhh highly unlikely) but as far as the power goes I could BLOW the c5r's power output out the water. and id probably have slight fatter meats in the rear for a little better hook.. but what im getting at is with 670'ish hp a c5r can achieve amazing handling and a damn low 1/4 et so the 2 can be matched together...
Old 04-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Teching In

last thing i gotta add to that is im done discussing this, i guess we will just see what happens. I made this post with no intention of talking about that subject, I wrote my plans in my sig. just respect that please.
I wanted to know about beating those rice burners so can we please just concentrate on the subject.

Has ANYONE raced one of these cars stock for stock, or really close to stock??? just wandering on the outcome before i race. im still getting use to the shift points and the initial clutch drop point.
I read that 2500RPM is best to drop on the stock bird at the track but they have a preped surface which i wont find on the street,
Also i did a G-tech Horsepower/torque pull and i reviewed the graph it showed my peak at about 5500RPM and above that it started to drop significantly so i'll probably be shifting here.
Again this is a new car for me so i havent had time to find the perfect points.
What has worked for you guys with the M6 & stock gearing/tires ??
anyone race any of these "hosses"
Old 04-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Launching!

looks like you would like a turbocharged, sprayed, stroked mc claren f1. so why do ya have an f body anyway?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I love the Ws6 but can we please lay off this subject seriously. Ive asked nicely several times this is rediculous just drop it... read the topic name!!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

If it was me, I would just not even worry about doing mods to the car, and be like "yeah, well just wait until....."

If you really plan all of those mods, and think that they will happen.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Thris thread has gone down.. Ever since I started reading the sig.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you **** gold and **** hundreds I don't think you're going to be able to afford what you have in your sig. If you can I wouldn't worry about doing any other mods, just hurry up and get your project started, there would be no point in spending money on other stuff besides a suspension and a rearend.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

NOT TRYING TO FLAME, but what I don't get is how he has all these plans for his car, but needs to know "what would beat an sti?"
Old 04-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Teching In

to answer kjmdrum i was wondering how these cars performed because i never raced one yet or seen any ws6's vs Evo or Sti races. what the hell does that have to do with anything?? And i was wondering if anyone had any idea's for cheap stuff because its always nice to see what others would do... its kind of like proof reading a paper you just wrote... normal mistakes you would catch on someone elses paper you cant see on yours unless you read it 6-7 times.
I could go headers, pulley, lid and a couple more intake mods
or i could do slicks and nitrous.
but i was hoping for something unnoticeable and cheap for the time being so i dont interfere with the project 'slow98ta" thats what i kinda been doing is just putting it off, im loosin my license etc. cant afford a ticket, cars stock and i dont want to beat it..,. but eventually they get sick of hearing it

Quick Reply: Money VS Mods