Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the Velocity Stacks a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Velocity Stacks a scam?

Hopefully I'm complaining about a company that isn't a sponsor....

I was looking at the Velocity VR Stack on this page http://www.vararam.com/products03.html

and looked at the dyno sheet referring to the product.

It looks like the dyno sheet above shows the vehicle under test on the first pass didn't even go into open loop (full throttle) until around 5300 RPM. Usually when you see the Air Fuel Ratio hovering around 14.7:1 up until the very end the car is running closed loop. This is called stoichiometric and is the goal of closed loop. It makes the car get the best gas mileage, not necessarily the most power. Plus, look at the erratic horsepower and torque curve.

Then you see a claim of 22 ft/lbs of torque. Yes that dyno sheet shows numbers of 22 Ft/Lbs but that is because the vehicle under test was an automatic and it was the flashing of the torque converter. The little peak at the very beginning of each pull is where that measurement was made from. It looks like the number is bigger on the second pull where they actually floored it at a lower RPM.

So maybe they sand bagged the first dyno pull, then floored it on the second pull with the only change being the addition of the velocity stack!

Also, strange how the HP and torque figures were exactly the same after 5300 RPM when the engine on the first pull finally went open loop. If this product were truly improving airflow wouldn't it have made the BIGGEST difference at high RPM?

-Ron

Last edited by RDJohnson; 05-06-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

big discussion on this part a few months ago.most say its garbage.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are preaching to the choir Ron.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Yup it's not hard to make bad dyno numbers for a "before and after" test if you want to fool people
Old 05-07-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

LMFAO!! I followed the link from the poster, and 2 hours later I was ready to buy one.... Only then did I look down and see that LS1tech was still open?? OH YEAH!!! This thing sucks. Stupid me got all sucked into the propoganda!! Is this the same concept as the little "tin can" blade fan that came out a few years ago? Goes in the intake tube and promises all sorts of goodness by "correcting" the air swirl pattern? Thank God for LS1tech/forums.... Just saved me $49.95 plus S+H. Good question, and thanks for the answers
Old 05-07-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you know how to advertise, you don't have to worry about losing money. as far as the propaganda goes, it gets stronger the more people there are to support the product. for instance, i have a friend that bought a velocity stack and claims that he definitely felt a difference, and that i should definitely get one. he's a pretty smart and reasonable guy. he just let the money he put in and the claims (also known as propaganda) persuade him that the product was indeed all that it was cracked up to be. k&n air filters are the same way. the only problem is, they aren't just for f-bodies, so EVERYONE, including many f-body owners, are convinced they are good filters because of all the hype they hear from the last guy.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
if you know how to advertise, you don't have to worry about losing money. as far as the propaganda goes, it gets stronger the more people there are to support the product... k&n air filters are the same way. the only problem is, they aren't just for f-bodies, so EVERYONE, including many f-body owners, are convinced they are good filters because of all the hype they hear from the last guy.

Does that include their FIPK?? I like mine and it seems like it's a really nice piece. I can understand about the filters for the lid cars but just wondering about the FIPK.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The FIPK is a bit overpriced, but it does the job. There's really no benefit over a lid.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Kewl cause mine was free I wouldn't say that's overpriced Nah I was just wondering. Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Teching In

The FIPK has another advantage of looking cool when you pop the hood.

-Ron
Old 05-08-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

until it looks like crap from getting filthy.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

I can't believe what they charge for a FIPK. My SLP lid doesn't fit well, and I was considering this as an alternative till I saw what they were asking for it.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

I bought a VR Velocity Stack for my 02 Z28. Used it for a week and didn't notice any seat of the pants gain. Decided I would run car club et drags the following weekend and my times were off by about 2/10th. I never thought it was the VR VS just maybe bad air. A few days later I bought a K&N FIPK and removed the smooth belows to install it. The VR Velocity Stack had started to soften at the bottom of my stock TB, and had melted to form to the bottom of my TB. Since I didn't have a throttle body bypass I could only figure it was due to 200+ hot water running through the TB. I have pictures of the melted VR Velocity stack if anyone doubts this. My car has never overheated and has only 18,000 miles on it, so I have no major problems that could have caused this.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

haha...
I just sent tem an e-mail telling them to give an accurate dyno test before they sell any more of thse things....
anyone with just a little bit of knowledge can see that they didnt have a WOT dyno run on the 1st till about 5300 RPM...
an the 2nd they floored it from the get go....
Of course the 2nd will see more HP/TQ......WOT=More Fuel = More Power

Quick Reply: Are the Velocity Stacks a scam?