Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions as I pull back the layers of BS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions as I pull back the layers of BS

So after getting rear ended on my CBR this summer and frantically searching for a Z because I didn't want to spend my money on anything else, I am beginning to discover that I am perched above what geologists call a "money pit."

Small problems first, I'm very new to all this and I've lurked for a couple months so I feel like I've exhausted the search function for the following problems (or what I found didn't satisfy my curiosity).

1) Pulled the SLP lid and noticed the gunk as pictured below looked as if it had come from the top left above the throttle blade. Any ideas of what this is? Can I just clean it with dish soap and/or MAF cleaner?

Questions as I pull back the layers of BS-rfugkr2.jpg

2) This is the best I could wrangle the SLP lid into fitting, is this normal?

Questions as I pull back the layers of BS-c2cqpbn.jpg

3) Was checking the voltage spread in my TPS because why wouldn't I get a low voltage code with no low voltage and I noticed this... What is the line cable tied to my TPS harness? Why would it need to be held up like that? Not a problem, but I'm curious because I feel the tension on the harness might contribute to fatigue in the wires.

Questions as I pull back the layers of BS-mngttas.jpg

Thanks so much to anyone with answers

There's more problems related to the cam and etc. but I'm only trying to get one or two birds stoned right now.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The first picture is simply oil from the PCV system, its not a big deal just use simple green and clean it up (take the TB off). This is actually normal. Trace the rubber tube from that side of the throttle body back and you'll see it connects to the passenger side valve cover, thats where the oil is coming from.

For the SLP lid, fitment can be iffy, you can take the air filter tray out and it will fit better.

And the last picture is a coolant tube "throttle body bypass mod" the previous owner must have done. Normally that hose connects to the bottom of the throttle body housing and is routed right back out. This warms the throttle body up so it doesn't get icy in really cold temperatures. This of course gets the throttle body pretty hot in hotter temperature climates so most people do this mod so the air entering the engine is not heated by the throttle body.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=13
http://www.installuniversity.com/ls1...ypass-ls1.html
Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick answers to my stupid questions.

My next question is what I should replace when I pull the cam out. The previous owner had installed what he described as a "mild" cam in place of the stock, but he didn't know anything about it as in angles or lift or anything... He also didn't replace the springs or rods. So now I need to get stiffer springs and rods in there and also maybe get the cam checked out. What else should I do while I'm in there? i.e. pump replacement, check wear and tear on anything, etc?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ben Volk
Thanks for the quick answers to my stupid questions.

My next question is what I should replace when I pull the cam out. The previous owner had installed what he described as a "mild" cam in place of the stock, but he didn't know anything about it as in angles or lift or anything... He also didn't replace the springs or rods. So now I need to get stiffer springs and rods in there and also maybe get the cam checked out. What else should I do while I'm in there? i.e. pump replacement, check wear and tear on anything, etc?
I would put a cam in that you know what exactly it is ( just my 2 cents). Replace the springs as well. Also consider the oil pump, timing chain, push rods, lifters ( require head removal) that should about cover it for a cam.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Money is an issue at the moment and I just need to take care of the most critical stuff asap because I'm getting stationed in Mississippi soon. I plan on eventually getting a fast 102 intake and 92 tb along with 243 heads so maybe I'll get a new cam then, but again $$$. If I pull this cam and take it to someone..? I can maybe get some info on it or am I wrong?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ben Volk
Money is an issue at the moment and I just need to take care of the most critical stuff asap because I'm getting stationed in Mississippi soon. I plan on eventually getting a fast 102 intake and 92 tb along with 243 heads so maybe I'll get a new cam then, but again $$$. If I pull this cam and take it to someone..? I can maybe get some info on it or am I wrong?
Than leave the cam in. Is there a reason you were going to pull it out?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles on the car ? if high miles ,swap in new rocker arm bearings .consider doing the lifters if the sound noisey.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I was going to pull the cam because someone told me I could take it somewhere (performance shop maybe?) that I don't remember at the moment and they could tell me what the specs were.

~160k miles

Are there springs and pushrods that I could use now and in the future with 243 heads and the extra hp from the 102 intake + TB + heads + possibly exhaust mods? Or am I just being too ambitious? I just want to be safe / not have to replace that stuff more than once if I upgrade in the future.

Quick Reply: Questions as I pull back the layers of BS