Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust?

I want to get a new exhaust for my Z. It has a Magnaflow catback right now, but I wanted to get duals with LT's.

would i be better off just getting lts with a bigger y-pipe since i already have the catback? or is the performance gain better with tds?
Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the magnaflows for duals dumped....

Duals sound way better, and meaner than magnaflow..u will not regret it.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An E cutout is another option. Loud when ya want it. Cheaper solution too.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 AM

I say true duals over the axle with some Spintech Pro-Race bullets. This is what a buddy of mine runs on his cammed T/A and it sounds awesome! I was going to go that route but decided on a Y-Pipe with FM 4" merge for cheaper costs.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Teching In

This is the system that I have: http://www.lmperformance.com/559748 headers: http://www.lmperformance.com/517419/1.html the video does not do it justice. Very loud when you get on it, but calm for highway cruising. Not cheap, but it does have cats if you have to deal with emissions/inspection.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

wow, thanks for the quick replies!

i spent a little time last night watching videos on youtube... i think i fell in love with the kooks system haha

does anyone know if it's possible to pass an obd2 test without cats? like reprogram the computer? in WA they don't do a visual inspection just plug and go.

and do you guys know if the sponsors/manufacturers run black friday or cyber monday deals? would love to get this exhaust for as cheap as possible
Old 08-22-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, Keep in mind the hidden cost that most don't add as part of the true cost.

A BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop Part#DSL001 and a BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit Part# PHR004 are required when installing this system.

Then there's also the issue with lowering after adding the PHB relocation kit. It puts the PHB at a severe angle, with in turn requires even more money to buy and have installed a PHB relocation kit (welding required) on the axle tube PHB mount to correct it.

IMO, for what the Kooks true Dual kit cost they could have built a system that tucks the exhaust up higher and tighter so that buying additional parts isn't require for it to fit properly. Further more the mufflers are barely big enough to be considered mufflers, and do very little to "muffle" or quiet the exhaust tone. IMO, and for the cost they should offer at least 1 different muffler option since everybody doesn't want to very loud exhaust.
I do agree the Kooks dual exhaust is a beautifully designed system, but the system has some flaws (mentioned above) that shouldn't even exist for what it cost.

On the other hand if you want to spend -$1k, have numerous muffler options from mild to wild, and also want to maintain excellent exhaust clearance, then you'll probably want to maintain a factory style single pipe exhaust system. The biggest flaw with most Y-pipe, cat-back exhaust systems is the single 3" diameter pipe, which is only good for a mildly modified engine. IMO, once your at +340 rwhp you should be running at least a 3.5" cat-back or 4" cat-back system depending on your hp level.
Both style exhaust systems have there Pro's and Con's, so you'll just need to figure out which fits your requirement better.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-22-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Oh... i didnt know that. i do have plans to lower the car a little, though only maybe an inch or so.

as for power, i'm on a budget so most of this will be me saving up my money and slowly buying it piece by piece. eventually id like to hit 4-450rwhp but i dont know if thats possible with a head/cam setup and still keep driveability.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

My current setup is bbk longtubes a custom made h pipe with thrush welded dumped at the axle. Has a nice sound but it gets old having it under the car my new setup is arh 1 7/8 longtube a 3.5 y pipe into a slp lm2 hopeing it soumds good

Quick Reply: Exhaust?