Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying Crossmember

Just a basic question here. I was installing a energy suspension's transmission mount, as I went to put the crossmember back up, I noticed that the mount's screw hole doesn't line up with the hole in the crossmember. Now I can see half of the screw hole through the crossmember. I just want to know if there is a drill bit that I can use on a torque drill to cut about 3 cm to the right on the crossmemeber or if there is a specific tool for this type of job? Thank you, all responses are appreciated.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sebe4848
Just a basic question here. I was installing a energy suspension's transmission mount, as I went to put the crossmember back up, I noticed that the mount's screw hole doesn't line up with the hole in the crossmember. Now I can see half of the screw hole through the crossmember. I just want to know if there is a drill bit that I can use on a torque drill to cut about 3 cm to the right on the crossmemeber or if there is a specific tool for this type of job? Thank you, all responses are appreciated.
Don't drill anything! Just use a pry bar and pry the transmission over enough so that you can get the bolt started. The rubber motor mounts allow a bit of movement which can throw the alignment off a little like you are seeing.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

find a round file that will fit in the hole ,and file it the direction you need .
Old 10-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

BMR Sales, so I can pry over the tranny some? I will also be replacing the motor mounts because they are bad as well, could this be the reason for the misalignment as well? have you done this method before because I was planning on taking a ball shaped bur and just filing the space for the hole over some?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Also, another question for bmr sales. I went on your website and noticed that you all sell lowering springs. I have vogtland lowering springs on my ride right now, but I bottom out all over place, I have scratched the tranny up several times now, I am getting quite tired of this. Do you all sell any aftermarket springs for a 96 ws6 that could solve this problem, I have Blistein HD shocks as well if that helps any.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

BMR Sales, so I can pry over the tranny some? I will also be replacing the motor mounts because they are bad as well, could this be the reason for the misalignment as well? have you done this method before because I was planning on taking a ball shaped bur and just filing the space for the hole over some?
You can absolutely pry the transmission over a little bit to get the transmission mount to line up with the crossmember. The bad motor mounts could definitely be shifting the motor around a little bit creating the issue. There is no reason not to pry the transmission over because it won't hurt anything and will be a nice easy fix. I have done it quite a few times it will not hurt anything. You are just wasting your time by filing or opening up the hole more.

Also, another question for bmr sales. I went on your website and noticed that you all sale lowering springs. I have vogtland lowering springs on my ride right now, but I bottom out all over place, I have scratched the tranny up several times now, I am getting quite tired of this. Do you all sell any aftermarket springs for a 96 ws6 that could solve this problem, I have Blistein HD shocks as well if that helps any.
We definitely do have lowering springs for your vehicle. Our BMR lowering springs (SP001) offer 1.25" drop all the way around and have a lifetime warranty against sag so you are covered for the life of the springs. One of the most popular setups our customers use is the Bilstein shock/BMR lowering spring combination so they should work very good in your situation and keep you from bottoming out so much.

Here is the link to our BMR lowering springs (SP001) off our website:

http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=291

Old 10-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, very helpful information. Saved me about 40 dollars since I don't have to buy the drill bit. Two questions about your springs; are the springs pretty stiff or is there some give? Are those the only springs that you all have for my vehicle or do you all carry springs that won't lower my vehicle anymore?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Awesome, very helpful information. Saved me about 40 dollars since I don't have to buy the drill bit. Two questions about your springs; are the springs pretty stiff or is there some give? Are those the only springs that you all have for my vehicle or do you all carry springs that won't lower my vehicle anymore?
Our BMR lowering springs are going to be a little stiffer than the stock springs so you will notice that but they are by no means harsh or unbearable. These lowering springs are one of our most popular parts we have available and definitely will improve the handling and performance of your vehicle. We only offer the one set of springs which lowers the car 1.25" all the way around.

Quick Reply: Modifying Crossmember